Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got 3rd row rear-facing seats retrofit in my CPO S60 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I thought retrofits of the rear seats were impossible.

Tesla is really bad about being consistent on this. Design studio says must be factory installed, but I read here on TMC about others having it done. Called my local service center and they said it cannot be done. I told him I know others have and push him to dig deeper, he discovers it can be done, gets approval, etc. While I was purchasing my CPO, I had to chat with an advisor in the NJ SvC, who also said it can't be done.

Basically, it can be done but a lot of Tesla's own people don't even know it.

I also found it and didn't know it was there until now, thanks!

I'm thinking I wait a few years before I tell my daughter about this though (she is currently 4yo). I like the fact that even though she can unbuckle herself when I park she can't get out of the car...

My kids are 3 and 5, and the rare times they actually like the RFS, they fight over who gets the button. It doesn't work while the car is in drive, and you can disable it by turning on child lock.

My kids are 3 and 5, and the rare times they actually like the RFS, they fight over who gets the button. It doesn't work while the car is in drive, and you can disable it by turning on child lock.

My daughter loves it back there and my younger one can't wait until she can sit back there too. I have always treated it as a special "big girl" seat where she doesn't have to be in a car seat...

On the retrofit -- do they upgrade the bumper, or is that not necessarily a thing with the RFS, or is it standard in the cars now?

My daughter loves it back there and my younger one can't wait until she can sit back there too. I have always treated it as a special "big girl" seat where she doesn't have to be in a car seat...

On the retrofit -- do they upgrade the bumper, or is that not necessarily a thing with the RFS, or is it standard in the cars now?

This is also another area where it's not very clear. From my understanding, there needs to be a crossbeam to reinforce the bumper in order to have RFS, and some cars have this and others do not. If it is not already installed, it must be installed. My car apparently already had it so they did not need to install it, which is why my final cost was less than quoted, so I was pleasantly surprised. The service invoice notes that the crossmember installation was not needed since it's already there.

I found this thread on the Tesla forums where an owner had the crossmember on a non-RFS 85, but interestingly did not have it on a non-RFS P85D that was produced at a later date. Some interesting pics in that thread that show what it is too, and apparently the part itself is not expensive ($250) and fairly simple to install yourself, at least for those mechanically inclined that have a lift etc. (which is not me)

Rear Bumper Reinforcement Project Report - Can Your Tesla Be Safer? Maybe. | Tesla Motors

Ok just picked up my car from the SC. They were able to install a new third row seat (missing at delivery). It is the new version with the woven seats and no pleather and no metal frame showing on top. This mush have been a rolling change made by tesla.

Ok just picked up my car from the SC. They were able to install a new third row seat (missing at delivery). It is the new version with the woven seats and no pleather and no metal frame showing on top. This mush have been a rolling change made by tesla.

I had this explained to me. The new seat material is a "cool fabric" material to better control the temperature on hot days.

Also got the rear facing seats retrofitted on my October 2015 70D. Had to get the crossmember installed as well....

Ordered the seats in december 2015, and got them installed now in early august 2016 :)....

Took 7 trips to the service center to finally get it right... Half of the time they missed parts they didn't know they needed, and the other half some parts was DOA....

Oh well; I got rear mats for free, and a 500 USD discount since it took so long time....

Also I got the labour for free (because I had excessive problems with my previous S85), and on top of it I think they quoted me a too low price (I reckon) when I ordered them last year... Paid a total of 15.000 Norwegian kroner; equaling 1850 USD for everything:)

• Informative
Reactions: MassModel3