Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got 3rd row rear-facing seats retrofit in my CPO S60 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took about a month for all the necessary parts to get in, but I finally got my rear-facing seats installed today on the CPO that I took delivery of in late January. They're awesome and I know the kids will love them and we'll get good usage out of them since they're still young.

A few details for others that might be interested. From what I understand, the request must be escalated to some high level service exec and approvals are done on a case-by-case basis, although my SC got approval pretty quickly. I was initially quoted ~$3400+tax. It ended up being a lot less, more like $3150 including tax and labor and everything, so I was pleasantly surprised. They mentioned that my car (VIN 37xxx) did not need the crossmember to be installed, since it already had it. This contributed to the cost savings compared to the initial quote. I expected them to spend all day on it, but it only took them a couple of hours. Overall, other than waiting on parts to get delivered, it was very fast and painless, and the cost was extremely reasonable for a retrofit considering they're $3k when factory installed anyway.

Congrats on getting rear seats installed not many can claim so...

Can you post before and after pictures?

:smile:

Didn't take any before pics, but here are some after

j5ozNFW.jpg
B28zLQJ.jpg
QRuC2Yg.jpg

did they install the button to open/close the trunk from inside ?
The lack of this button in cars without the rear seats sent me into a panic. The manual (at the time, at least) definitively stated you could use the button to open the trunk without caveats. Like a fool, I believed it. I wanted to clean my rear window without killing my back, so I hopped in and closed the trunk. Once I was crammed back there with the trunk closed, I panicked when I couldn't find the button where it was supposed to be. I had a car seat installed, so I couldn't put the seats down. I calmed down and used the emergency release for the hatch to get out. Oops. :biggrin:

Congrats on being eligible and getting them retrofitted. Definitely try to get the button. :wink:

My cpo which was suppose to have the third row seats was delivered without them. The SC is installing them today.
The seats in your photos look like fabric. Aren't they suppose to be leather? I'll know tomorrow about mine.

Mine are fabric. My understanding IIRC is that they used to offer leather but transitioned to all fabric at some point. I'm not sure though. I believe you can find Google images of the older leather ones.

Edit: Found link to another thread where I remember reading
Evolution of the rear jump seats - Tesla goes cheap?

Mine are fabric. My understanding IIRC is that they used to offer leather but transitioned to all fabric at some point. I'm not sure though. I believe you can find Google images of the older leather ones.

As I noted in that thread, they weren't leather. They were pleather (vinyl) and got hot to sit in. Little ones would often be sweaty and uncomfortable back there on warm days. Much better now that they are all breathable mesh fabric.

This is my 2013 before dropping it off last week and driving out with my new 2016. After seeing the cloth jump seats, I'm glad I didn't spend the 3k for them. If they were like the originals, much better.
IMG_9295.JPG

Wait, where is this button? I have original 3rd-row seating and I'm pretty sure I don't have a button to open the trunk from inside.

Drivers side. Accessible with the right hand while sitting in the RFS on the drivers side, it's hard to explain... I'm sure there's a picture in the manual.

The kids can open the trunk themselves using the button, if the child lock is not enabled and you are in park.

Wow, I had no idea...!!!!

I just checked, and here's where it is:

TrunkButton1.JPG

TrunkButton2.JPG

The seat's down because I went in through the back seat determined to find the button!

I guess I didn't know my car as well as I thought I did. That'll teach me to read the flippin' manual!

I also found it and didn't know it was there until now, thanks!

I'm thinking I wait a few years before I tell my daughter about this though (she is currently 4yo). I like the fact that even though she can unbuckle herself when I park she can't get out of the car...