Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye $2500! California EV credit eliminated for high income buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The change may have a minor impact on demand for the Model S, but it has a benefit: it's harder to say that the state is subsidizing a "rich man's toy." Context is important, though; in places like Maine, residents earning $340k+ are relatively scarce: only about 15,000 households had incomes above $200k (2.7% of households, vs. 7.2% of Californians).

And Illinois recently suspended their $4000 cash credit (up to 10% of an vehicles MSRP up to $4000) with no income qualifier.

I was fortunate in getting $3914.50 for my 2012 Volt and again for my 2013 Volt. With everything else my OTD was $24K for each vehicle.

a loss of $4000 is going to have a significant impact on EV sales in Illinois. But given our financial condition I can't fault them.

I didn't find much but I did find this
California EV Rebate Income Caps | PlugIncentives

[FONT=museo_sans300]CARB staff recommended using income eligibility limits consistent with those used in Proposition 30 (a temporary tax increase measure targeted to upper income taxpayers). Based on the Proposition 30 eligibility limits, CARB staff recommended the following CVRP income thresholds apply for individuals:[/FONT]

• $250,000 for single filer's taxable income.
  • $340,000 for head-of-household filer's taxable income.
  • $500,000 for joint filers' taxable income.
[FONT=museo_sans300]CARB staff is recommending that the income eligibility limits be adopted by June 30, 2015 and that they go into effect 4 to 6 months after the adoption of the FY 2015-16 Funding Plan. During that time the CARB and the Center for Sustainable Energy would engage in consumer outreach and education, dealer training, website redesign and other processes to prepare for the new threshold. [/FONT]

It doesn't sound like they will be in effect right at the beginning of July, but I'm confused by that sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the bill mentioned in the OP's link
Bill Text - SB-1275 Vehicle retirement and replacement: Charge Ahead California Initiative.

And the requirements hasn't updated anything about income
Californias Clean Vehicle Rebate Project Terms and Conditions | CSE

I take delivery on the 7th so I'll find out soon enough

I didn't find much but I did find this
California EV Rebate Income Caps | PlugIncentives

It doesn't sound like they will be in effect right at the beginning of July, but I'm confused by that sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the bill mentioned in the OP's link
Bill Text - SB-1275 Vehicle retirement and replacement: Charge Ahead California Initiative.

And the requirements hasn't updated anything about income
Californias Clean Vehicle Rebate Project Terms and Conditions | CSE

I take delivery on the 7th so I'll find out soon enough

Please let us know. I figured if this change really is happening then tesla would change their website immediately. Bit misleading if they left it up there. "official" websites (govt and tesla) seem to be contradicting these news reports.

Limiting it by vehicle cost is especially dumb. Limiting it by household income is tolerable, though I can't think of a legitimate reason for it. Yes, it's nice if the credits go to those people where it actually helps make the sale possible, but I don't think that's a good enough reason.

I would in no way be affected by this of course. For starters, I don't live in CA, and never had access to such a credit. Second, our household income is much lower than that.