Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going the whole hog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have had the model 3 (SR+) since September and love it.

The wife is due a new car within the next year and looking to convert to a 100% electric family.

Currently she has a focus (the 1.0 litre 125hp version) which is great and suits her for 88mile round trip daily.

She wants something similar size or bigger (niro etc). Has anyone else gone 100% electric or is aware of any other cars coming out in the next year that won't break the bank (and aren't hideous like the leaf)...

Hopefully this thread may help others find a second electric car as well.

Hi, I'm across the pond and we've gone all electric (see my avatar) and I don't think we're ever going back. Take the plunge - it's nice to not ever go to a gas station again.

We have over 100k miles on the S and about 20k on a 6-month old X. That's 120k, gasless miles!

Perhaps the Model Y will be perfect for the wifey? :)

Reactions: Roy W.
Started with a 2015 88 mile Leaf on lease
Replaces with 2018 150 mile Leaf as purchase
Replaced Subaru with 2018 Model 3
Replaced lawn mower with electric Ryobi
Full electric family, 30,000 miles on Model 3, numerous 500+ mile trips
May replace Leaf with Model Y

The new Leaf looks much better than the old Leaf. They aren't distinctive anymore. 150 miles even allows it to travel.

We’ve had M3 for a month now and the mrs now hates driving her ICE. We are looking at changing to a Mini electric or Honda E.

Anyone know if these can be charged using a Tesla wall connector ?

I didn’t foresee this scenario !

We’ve had M3 for a month now and the mrs now hates driving her ICE. We are looking at changing to a Mini electric or Honda E.

Anyone know if these can be charged using a Tesla wall connector ?

I didn’t foresee this scenario !
Yes, the TWC will charge any EV with a Type 2 connector.

I used it to charge a Hyundai Kona electric before I got the Model 3.

If it wasn't for all extra household cash been diverted to a 6 figure house extension we would likely to have been fully electric by now.

But sadly the way cost protections for this extension is going up I doubt we'll buy a new car again for another 10 years!! :(.

My Model 3 is the one that makes us all electric.
Started in 2015 with a Zoe (when they were giving them away on £150 a month leases)
Replaced the Zoe in 2017 with the 40kWh version. Good for 150 miles in summer, 110 in winter.
Throughout I had an Audi A4 or VW Tiguan for road trips or distance. When the Tiguan needed replaced, the M3 has as much space. The SR+ has enough range for my driving 360 days of the year and superchargers/Netflix makes longer trips painless.
Wouldn’t go back now.
May install a second charger at home though
Only concern is having to buy lighter bikes as the 55kg weight limit on the towbar isn’t going to cope with all four of us.

Our household has a BMW i3 and a TM3 P-
We have two Tesla Wall Connectors to charge both cars and they work flawlessly (Tesla’s 16A charge bug notwithstanding).
I cannot overstate how happy we are with the change.
Also, for an increase of about £100 in the electricity bill, we’re not spending around £600 in fuel per month.

We will never willingly go back.

Reactions: Roy W.
Started with a 2015 88 mile Leaf on lease
Replaces with 2018 150 mile Leaf as purchase
Replaced Subaru with 2018 Model 3
Replaced lawn mower with electric Ryobi
Full electric family, 30,000 miles on Model 3, numerous 500+ mile trips
May replace Leaf with Model Y

The new Leaf looks much better than the old Leaf. They aren't distinctive anymore. 150 miles even allows it to travel.
I used my Dad's electric lawn mower (12V battery powered!) back in the early 70s when I was a teenager :D

Reactions: arg
I used my Dad's electric lawn mower (12V battery powered!) back in the early 70s when I was a teenager :D

Started with Renault Zoe ZE40 R90 October 2017 to replace Hyundai i30 diesel, do most of the driving now which I hated before. Wife hasn’t tried it in that time & can’t persuade her!
She drives a Dacia Duster, we need it for towing caravan ☹️
Have a Gtech electric mower, hedge trimmer & strummer.
Model 3 SR+ on order to replace Zoe.

Reactions: vitesse

Yes, I think of my grandfather's electric lawnmower as my first EV. He was keen on electrical things based on his experience running a construction business: he always tried to get electricity on site early, as he said that if he gave the men an electric cement mixer it just worked, but if he gave them a petrol one they would tinker with it and adjust it and before long it wouldn't work and the job would be stopped. He would have loved an EV.

Reactions: Jez_GB and vitesse
Yes, I think of my grandfather's electric lawnmower as my first EV. He was keen on electrical things based on his experience running a construction business: he always tried to get electricity on site early, as he said that if he gave the men an electric cement mixer it just worked, but if he gave them a petrol one they would tinker with it and adjust it and before long it wouldn't work and the job would be stopped. He would have loved an EV.
Ours was a bit like this - I remember it was an Atco. And it would do a rather large lawn on a single charge, no problem!

ATCO Battery | The Old Lawnmower Club

No, Tesla is proprietary stuff
Not necessarily Gigawatt. I believe it’s switchable in the Tesla Wall Connector. From the factory it’s just a dumb charger. This is the old one at by the way, not the new one announced last week.

we use ours to charge the model 3 amd the Nissan Leaf 2017 30kW. We use a type 2 to type 1 adaptor. You have to do a hold of the catch on the connector to overcome some weirdery in the protocol but charges fine every night.