Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: dmh444
Red makes things faster = performance ;). When buying a Tesla, you have to decide for yourself if the car you are getting today is worth the price you are paying today. If so, buy it and don't look back because there will be changes in hardware and price. Others will get a better deal than you. Don't let their good fortune rob you of your enjoyment of the car. Don't compare, just enjoy :). The list of improvements I missed out on is long but my MYP still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it - let alone drive it!
I will enjoy this car regardless. But false advertising is....false advertising. It Tesla is going to continue to advertise the brakes as being Performance Brakes and they really aren't, then they need to remove that in the advertising information. They could just say that they are painted red brakes, but red brakes does not mean performance in any manner. And again, if their is something performance about the rotors and brake pads then Tesla should tell us.

Reference Mountain Pass Performance Brake thread:

Tesla Model Y Brake Calipers:​

The Model Y is more complicated, there is a fair bit of crossover from the Model 3, but the configuration has also changed in the rear since the start of production.

AxleCaliper DescriptionBrake PadBrake RotorRotor WeightCaliper StyleApplication
FrontBrembo Performance (Silver)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
RearMando Base (Silver)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
FrontBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y Performance
RearBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (up to 8/15/2022)
RearMando Base (Red)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (post 8/15/2022)

The main difference is that there is no carryover for the rotors – they are all a one-piece design specific to Model Y. However, our MPP Model 3 two-piece rotor solutions are compatible with the Model Y. As you can see, Tesla uses the same brakes on the front axle – the only difference being the Performance comes with a nice Red powder-coating finish and the base does not.

The rear is a bit more complex. Up until recently, the Model Y Performance used the same rear Caliper as the Model 3 Performance. However, a change was made in August of 2022 – now the Performance Model Y uses the same base rear caliper as the AWD/SR Model Y and base Model 3, – with a Red cover over it – talk about cost savings! We sure don’t like caliper covers and it is disappointing to see Tesla resorting to that.

There really wasn't anything performance oriented to begin with aside from "Brembo" rear caliper with a molded cover to the same Floating 1-Piston style caliper from Mando Pre-2022 and on. Actual performance of a floating 1-piston is the same, Mando was probably better at cooling and changing pads.

As you guys can see front Brembo calipers and rotors are the same between MY applications. Rear Rotors were also the same. "Red" caliper color was the only true difffentiation. I bet front pads and suspecting rear were the same across the board. Economies of scale was the production motivation here.

TBH if you really wanted performance, you were already looking at aftermarket solution. No way in hell were the factory solutions sufficient outside of day to day driving. Same goes for the suspension. Power and firmware were the only limitations between MY trims. If one were lucky they would have a 980 Rear Drive Motor for maximum fun and potential Ingenext Ghost Mod application.