Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: I submitted an error report to Plugshare for the location, using the web app: something like “ this location not showing up in your IOS app”. Strange, you would think they would both use the same database.

AHA, shows up if I log into Plugshare using a web browser, but not with the IOS app. I will see if I can submit some kind of a ticket for them to fix it.

Weird.

It doesn't make any sense... but if I select 'Hotel/Lodging' McDs disappears. Try unselecting that.

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
hmmm...

Are you logged on to plugshare ?

Thanks for all the suggestions, our messages crossed: looks like the Plugshare website shows the new Roswell location just fine, but the IOS app does not, even with all the options/filters wide open. I posted a notice to the Plugshare folks about it, hopefully they will fix it. But really, different data for IOS vs website??

Weird.

It doesn't make any sense... but if I select 'Hotel/Lodging' McDs disappears. Try unselecting that.

AHA! Same for me. Someone doesn’t understand the concept of “filters”. Off course “off” should mean “don’t include this category”, and “on” should mean “include this category”, with no effect on any other category.

So Plugshare IOS probably literally has a bug in how it processes these filter options, at least this one.

Thanks again!!

Reactions: nwdiver
AHA! Same for me. Someone doesn’t understand the concept of “filters”. Off course “off” should mean “don’t include this category”, and “on” should mean “include this category”, with no effect on any other category.

So Plugshare IOS probably literally has a bug in how it processes these filter options, at least this one.
Are your saying that iOS shows the Roswell location at McD's if the 'Hotels/Lodging' option is deselected ?

Then you can redact your complaint to plugshare -- the iOS app is working as intended.

Both you and Chris thought of amenities as a logical OR but it works as a logical AND.
Makes good sense to me the way it is set up. Imagine e.g. that you really want to empty your bladder while the car charges. Do you want a list of all chargers including those with a bathroom, or ONLY those charging locations that have a bathroom ?

Listen to your bladder.

@nwdiver

This discussion caused me to look at all the filters that plugshare offers -- I had never scrolled down far enough. One useful frame that shows up when a location is chosen shows *all* the nearby chargers. That is a good way to be sure that none are hiding that a person might actually want to use.

This is the way I found that Roswell actually has SIX L2 EVSEs, including one at a private home new to me labeled 'Céz's Home Charger' that the owner says will include fast charging in the near future.

I know this is mostly tangential to the thread but until Tesla adds your location to the destination map plugshare is going to be a common route to see charging options. I also thought you may be curious about a private person planning to install DCFC. I know I am.

I know this is mostly tangential to the thread but until Tesla adds your location to the destination map plugshare is going to be a common route to see charging options. I also thought you may be curious about a private person planning to install DCFC. I know I am.

I've actually met Céz'; He had actually been planning to charge at the McDs instead of his house ~0.1mi away.... The 'fast charger' he's referring to is L2. 'Fast' compared to the L1 he has now.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I am a new Tesla MY owner trying to plan a trip to the Carlsbad Caverns area. What's the current situation in terms of charging? I see the Roswell charger but are there any other options closer to Carlsbad? I see a "Coming Soon" for Artesia.

I'm planning on installing a pair of 80A juice boxes at the McDs in Artesia. They're not yet released by Enel, I've been told they're still in UL testing. Hopefully Q1 of 2021. There is an Airbnb in Carlsbad that has a 14-50 and a smattering of other 14-50 options. I'd definitely make sure you have a 14-50 adapter for your UMC.

When you visit the caverns please make it known how absurd it is that they don't have charging available... I've been offering to help install something there for years....

Last edited:
I just came across this thread and chipped in a few bucks. I also made some tweaks to the PlugShare listing in Roswell.

If you’re required to do a fresh service drop for another future location, can you reduce cost by mounting the wall connectors directly to the utility pole like you did with the 14-50?

Thanks for the time, effort and hard work!

Last edited:
I'm planning on installing a pair of 80A juice boxes at the McDs in Artesia. They're not yet released by Enel, I've been told they're still in UL testing. Hopefully Q1 of 2021. There is an Airbnb in Carlsbad that has a 14-50 and a smattering of other 14-50 options. I'd definitely make sure you have a 14-50 adapter for your UMC.

When you visit the caverns please make it known how absurd it is that they don't have charging available... I've been offering to help install something there for years....

Thanks for the info.

I just came across this thread and chipped in a few bucks. I also made some tweaks to the PlugShare listing in Roswell.

If you’re required to do a fresh service drop for another future location, can you reduce cost by mounting the wall connectors directly to the utility pole like you did with the 14-50?

Thanks for the time, effort and hard work!

Thank you!

Our electrician didn't want to mount too much equipment on the service pole. IIRC Xcel also has reservations about that. The distance would be too great at the Artesia location anyway.

The site in Roswell is seeing more traffic than I expected. I think we're close to ~1000kWh/mo now. Hopefully the host doesn't get sticker shock from the electric bill or the uptick in business is making up for the kWh they're donating. The most recent comment on plugshare was entertaining; They were 'complaining' about a L2 connector only providing L2 charging speed.

Looks like someone was able to provide info for the Go Fund Me campaign on plugshare. Thank you to whoever was able to achieve that. I had attempted it previously but it kept getting edited for some reason.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl and Zaxxon
I am a new Tesla MY owner trying to plan a trip to the Carlsbad Caverns area. What's the current situation in terms of charging? I see the Roswell charger but are there any other options closer to Carlsbad? I see a "Coming Soon" for Artesia.
If you are willing to consider camping, there are numerous RV parks in the Carlsbad area that can be used for overnight charging. (At the present time most New Mexico State Parks are closed to camping or limited to in-state residents only. Otherwise state park campgrounds would be the best option.)

RVParky.com is a good source to look up camping options. Be aware that not all RV parks allow tents — I can sleep in my car but that won't work for a family. Be sure to check out the reviews first.

[Camping requires a Mobile Connector with a 14-50 adapter for "50 amp" campgrounds and a TT-30 adapter* for "30 amp" campgrounds. Nobody should take a road trip without at least a Mobile Connector and 14-50 adapter, in case of unexpected circumstances, IMO.]

* Tesla doesn't sell TT-30 adapters but they can be had from EVSEadapters.com or Amazon. Be sure that the TT-30 adapter is listed as being for "Tesla" since regular RV adapters won't work. Also, a TT-30 adapter requires that the charging current to be lowered to 24 amps on the touch screen, if the adapter doesn't do it automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Probably the same guy that complained in the "Roswell supercharger" thread.

The ignorance is frustrating. The difference between L2 and L3 doesn't seem complicated. One would think that if you've done enough research to choose an EV that you would at least understand that distinction...

I spoke to a guy at a destination charger at a mall in Utah that was frustrated because he was 'only' getting a ~50mi/hr charge rate. Somewhat in his defense he did buy it used from a used car dealer NOT Tesla so I guess he's probably fortunate he didn't end up as a viral video star trying to put petrol in a Tesla at a gas station.