Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked service to check the new panel first before cutting out the old as the original panel is distortion free and otherwise perfect minus the coating. They just called and said its also missing on the replacement, so they wont be replacing and are tracking down an answer from engineering. At the end of all this we may never know for sure. Mixed about this , on one hand good not to cut out the original glass and avoid any possible damage from the procedure, but still possibly missing the coating.

My theory is the batch of missing coating is stock for the future base version without the exposed roof with a full interior headliner , which would make the coating unnecessary.

Keep us in the loop... Somebody is bound to eventually get to the bottom of it.

Yes please keep digging!

I just want to know if this batch was made in error or not. If it is a permanent change on Tesla’s part I will be fine with it. Bummed but I’ll live.

So you think it's perfectly fine for major style elements to change without warning? As if style elements aren't a major part of what sells a car?
This isn’t a style element nor did the company advertise it as one. It’s simply a result of the glass treatment. Show me something from Tesla saying this effect was an intentional design element and then I’ll agree that there is isn’t a bad batch of rear windshields

It’s completely fine to be bummed out for expecting it and not getting it.

I just want to know if this batch was made in error or not. If it is a permanent change on Tesla’s part I will be fine with it. Bummed but I’ll live.

The funny thing is that people are "bummed" without knowing exactly what the change is except that the rear section of glass doesn't reflect arange/red when it wet. No one knows if the new, non-orange/red, glass is better at keeping out IR, or maybe it is less prone to cracking, maybe it is also better at blocking UV. The point is that we don't for one way or the other yet there are 12v pages of posts from many that are all up in arms about it. Why don't we all relax and wait and see what was changed, why it was changed, and what the effects will be.

What would everybody's reaction be if the scenario were reversed with the Model 3 initially shipping with the non-orange/red coating on the glass and it was unexpectedly added? Personally, I don't care as long as both pieces of glass matched, but some are making a bigger deal out of it than necessary. Stylistically, would having one over the other made you change your mind about purchasing the car? Probably not because there is no way for any of the 400,000 or so people who pre-ordered to even know about this "feature". I'm sure a lot of people who are ordering don't even know about the "feature". As long as the roof performs the same (strength, UV/IR protection), then it's a non-issue. That's the question only Tesla can definitively provide the answer to. For the record, mine is a July 2018 build date, and the entire front and back pieces of glass have the coating.

But it does mean that the company could drastically change the look of the A-pillars and people who buy the new style could not call it defect simply because they liked the old style better.

The word "defect" was not in the original posts on this topic. This topic is about whether it's okay for things that significantly alter the vehicle's style (and I would strongly consider this one of them) to just change without warning.

My car will be spending about a quarter of its life wet. How it looks wet matters a great deal to its appearance.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that people are "bummed" without knowing exactly what the change is except that the rear section of glass doesn't reflect arange/red when it wet. No one knows if the new, non-orange/red, glass is better at keeping out IR, or maybe it is less prone to cracking, maybe it is also better at blocking UV. The point is that we don't for one way or the other yet there are 12v pages of posts from many that are all up in arms about it. Why don't we all relax and wait and see what was changed, why it was changed, and what the effects will be.
to this I would say that I didn't receive what I expected, the glass used to match and now it doesn't the uniformity (the quality or state of being uniform) of an all glass roof was important to me, and don't be mistaken in thinking that it is only relevant when the car is wet because its not true.

The issue is IR heat rejection. If the new glass doesn't have it then the interior of the car will be hotter. This means less range when using cabin overheat protection and just everyday A/C use. Am I the only one thinking this way?
IR is very important to me, in addition to the uniformity. These are the two important issues. It may have the IR properties but it will never be uniform with the rest of the roof.

i've read at least two instances of folks getting their rear glass replaced by tesla for this very issue. i think in both cases the swap did not happen yet. i am very interested to know if after the swap, its the same no orange glow glass lol. i mean one would have to think that the running theory is that this is a permanent change moving forward so i doubt they have the old IR orange glass stocked in a warehouse somewhere. there would be no more of them available.

i've read at least two instances of folks getting their rear glass replaced by tesla for this very issue. i think in both cases the swap did not happen yet. i am very interested to know if after the swap, its the same no orange glow glass lol. i mean one would have to think that the running theory is that this is a permanent change moving forward so i doubt they have the old IR orange glass stocked in a warehouse somewhere. there would be no more of them available.
I agree. My car goes in next week for another minor item and this issue. Hopefully there is more data available to the service center by that time. As of now no one really knows much.

One of them posted here - the glass in stock was the same so they didn't replace it.

The good news for me is being in SoCal, I don't have to worry about the glass getting wet and being orange or not orange. I did order some of this to help with uniformity in the event it does rain one day. https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-STG-9034-Stained-Glass-11-5oz/dp/B01JN7GE8W

@MXWing Spray the front windshield of the X. The top should be orange from what I recall. You'll have a matching set.

The word "defect" was not in the original posts on this topic. This topic is about whether it's okay for things that significantly alter the vehicle's style (and I would strongly consider this one of them) to just change without warning.

My car will be spending about a quarter of its life wet. How it looks wet matters a great deal to its appearance.
the entire thread has brought up multiple topics such as when the cutoff was, if it were just random anomalies, and if tesla SCs were considering them faulty. And we spoke on certain items.

I’m also not arguing whether this drastically changes the vehicle’s appearance. I agree with you it does. I’m stating that because of the listed features and styles of the model 3. And this not being a feature or design choice, us as customers don’t have the option for recourse.

My experience with the three is limited only my test this past week. All the talk about random changes without notice or reason makes me nervous. I am very hopeful that you are correct that the glass is just as good. I want to order my car and I’m excited to do so, here in AZ this is a concern. I am going to go by my service center with my heat/solar energy meter. I will post the test this weekend.

Many people can testify as to the random changes that Tesla makes since their inception.

Tesla does not have model year cars. They do stuff whenever they believe its best. I don't have a problem with it.....but many people do.

There was a time when Tesla just came out and said.....no more air conditioned seats. Then they stopped making them. Then a little while later....they just started making them again.
There was an uproar on the Model S threads, but there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Tesla is an ever-changing company and appears to be continuing as they progress forward.

Reactions: MXWing