Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting tools for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’m considering buying a used Model S (facelift version) and to keep it affordable I’d like to do all maintenance myself. I’d also like to be able to do service stuff like switching between different sets of wheels myself.

Is there a list or something of tools most commonly used to work on a Model S? I have an impact screwdriver and lots of sockets but the sockets are all rusty and in addition to the screwdriver I think I’ll need normal wrenches and also a torque wrench I believe it’s called.

Does anyone have tips on what I could use? I’m sure I’ll be able to find suitable brands and sets myself but I have no idea what tools I really need. I don’t want to attempt a basic repair and keep having to buy new tools so I’d like to get the most used tools before I buy the car. With tips I mean like what kind of sockets I’d need, like are a few of the normal ones fine or do you need the very long ones all the time? And is a 1/2” torque wrench good for all the basic repairs and stuff or is that just for the wheels and is a 1/4” actually much more used? I have allen keys, how do I know if I have the right ones?

What tools do you use all the time to work on your Tesla?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I’ve never owned a car and don’t know anyone who works on their own car. I’m very enthusiastic but my budget is limited so I can’t just buy all the toys lol

Bye!
Kumiko

There really isn’t going to be much you can maintain outside of fluids and wheels/tires.

Remember, there is a high-voltage electrical system in this vehicle and you probably are not an electrician.

As noted, very little you can do, but I suggest you need a set of metric sockets and these:

Tesla Parts Catalog: Parts Catalog

Tesla Service Manual (free subscription): Tesla Service

If you are going to do your tires, then yes you need a torque wrench.

Model S Manual: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/2012_2020_models/en_us/

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch
There really isn’t going to be much you can maintain outside of fluids and wheels/tires.

Remember, there is a high-voltage electrical system in this vehicle and you probably are not an electrician.
Yes, I’m not going to touch the battery or motors!

But interior filter, maybe even HEPA filter, wheels, I expect door handles to fail, brakes will probably have to be replaced one day, sunroof might need a new seal, not everyone seems to be a fan of the rear speakers, it probably has a low voltage battery, maybe I have to get behind a panel in case it doesn’t have wireless charging for my phone, and maybe more. I expect to have to do stuff to keep a car in good shape.
As noted, very little you can do, but I suggest you need a set of metric sockets and these:

Tesla Parts Catalog: Parts Catalog

Tesla Service Manual (free subscription): Tesla Service

If you are going to do your tires, then yes you need a torque wrench.

Model S Manual: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/2012_2020_models/en_us/
Thanks! I’m scrolling through that when I’m behind a monitor! Hope they mention the sizes of the sockets one needs.