Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready to buy my first Tesla... What to know...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll agree with @voldar

If you care about performance, then you aren't buying a Model 3.

Anything below the Plaid suggests that you are compromising on price vs performance. And the bottom end Model 3 provide a awesome price/performance tradeoff when compared to just about anything else in the road.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Besides straight line performance, the Plaid is a boat. The M3P is an incredibly nimble car relatively and dominates auto cross and feel much sportier than the Model S. The M3P relative to its ICE peers is a much better performance/value than the bottom end of the Model 3 range. The M3P competes with BMW M3 speed (which is around $90k) while the standard Model 3 is about as fast as the standard BMW 4 banger (which isn't fast at all).

Reactions: father_of_6
He has a Performance 3 that comes with better brakes than the standard and LR versions of the Model 3. He never said AWD helps with braking.
Sure. Although I didn't find anything that say the brakes of the RWD are of lesser quality than the brakes on the P. I have seen a video on Youtube where the brakes on the SR RWD were still stamped Brembo brakes.

Looks like the in rear, the RWD gets Mando brakes. But ... so does the MY Performance.

Last edited:
Sure. Although I didn't find anything that say the brakes of the RWD are of lesser quality than the brakes on the LR. I have seen a video on Youtube where the brakes on the SR RWD were still stamped Brembo brakes.

It could be that the RWD and LR have the same brakes but they are both not as good as the Performance models.

Also, stopping distances is dictated by tires vs. brakes...the Performance model brakes help it to resist fade but the tires that the Performance model comes with make it stop much shorter than the other models.

It could be that the RWD and LR have the same brakes but they are both not as good as the Performance models.
I just added some links that show in fact that there is no reason really to think the Performance gets the better ones.

And yes, the stopping distance, I agree, it's about tires and brakes, but it's also weight. I really doubt there is a huge stopping difference between the RWD and the Performance when there is about 300+ lbs difference between them. Lighter the car, faster the stopping distance, right ?

I just added some links that show in fact that there is no reason really to think the Performance gets the better ones.

And yes, the stopping distance, I agree, it's about tires and brakes, but it's also weight. I really doubt there is a huge stopping difference between the RWD and the Performance when there is about 300+ lbs difference between them. Lighter the car, faster the stopping distance, right ?

Tire compound plays a much bigger role than weight on similar cars. I've seen C&D test M3P at BMW M3 levels of stopping distance while the other variants of the Model 3 aren't as good due to their tire compound. The M3P is a much much much better performance platform than the other Model 3 variants due to their stock setup along with Track Mode.

Reactions: voldar
Tire compound plays a much bigger role than weight on similar cars. I've seen C&D test M3P at BMW M3 levels of stopping distance while the other variants of the Model 3 aren't as good due to their tire compound. The M3P is a much much much better performance platform than the other Model 3 variants due to their stock setup along with Track Mode.
I totally agree. And please don't take it wrong. Definitely the Performance is the better one. I don't argue this at all.
For me though, it's not 18 300 CAD (Canadian $) better.

1683924590401.png

Last edited:
I'll agree with @voldar

If you care about performance, then you aren't buying a Model 3.

Anything below the Plaid suggests that you are compromising on price vs performance. And the bottom end Model 3 provide an awesome price/performance tradeoff when compared to just about anything else in the road.
LOL - tell you what: YOU pay the $50K price difference between the 3P and the Plaid, THEN I might drive one. SMH.

Also, stopping distances is dictated by tires vs. brakes...the Performance model brakes help it to resist fade but the tires that the Performance model comes with make it stop much shorter than the other models.
So you’re either clueless or trolling - not sure which. But either way, according to Car and Driver testing, the LR stops 70-0 mph in 172 feet and the P in 149 feet. So P stops 1.5 car lengths quicker in emergency braking and the bigger brakes provide far better thermal capacity for extremes performance.

So you’re either clueless or trolling - not sure which. But either way, according to Car and Driver testing, the LR stops 70-0 mph in 172 feet and the P in 149 feet. So P stops 1.5 car lengths quicker in emergency braking and the bigger brakes provide far better thermal capacity for extremes performance.
Tesla Bjorn begs to differ :

1683927572678.png

It looks like in his real world tests, the LR brakes better than the Performance. I take his finding over Car & Driver any day of the week and twice in the weekend.

I don't know why you are accusing me of either. I literally said the Performance stops much better than the other variants.