Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a scratch/stone chip repaired...help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife was driving the MY on the motorway the other day and got this doozy off a stone chip/scratch on the bonnet. I have no skills to do any fixing myself (no patience), a few online people have told me to do one as it's a Tesla and they "don't do Tesla's"
Just wondering if anyone has good suggestions for how to get it fixed without spending the £720 I just got quoted by the one person who did quote

Attachments

• 20230509_095531.jpg
    20230509_095531.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 20230505_162239.jpg
    20230505_162239.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 132
I would use chipex, but you may want to practise first. You apply the paint, let it dry a bit, then dissolve away the excess using the supplied solvent. This last part is difficult as it's very easy to just dissolve too much away. The result will look matt and be slightly proud of the surface, but will polish to a high gloss. If you want a better finish you could use 3K grit of the local area (very lightly) followed by an orbital polish. Its worked for me in the past on my Model S.

Spanish

I agree - Chipex is the best / most economical way forward with that.

It's a good system and to a large degree foolproof as you can always remove all of the touch in paint you have applied with the blending solution.

It just takes a little care and patience to get the repair just so.