Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Respray for stone chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I noticed a chip on the bonnet of our new model Y within 7 days and 100 miles. Tesla have offered to repair this under the rectification warranty.

They need the car for a week so I assuming they'll want to respray the bonnet. I'm thinking of not bothering as I am worried the whites won't match well and also the hassle of dropping and collecting the car.

I could ask them to just fill the chip in for me instead.

There is a lot to go wrong for a tiny stone chip.

Opinions welcome

Repair the stone chip yourself and move on. Unless you add PPF to the front end your Model Y will probably acquire a few more paint chips over time.

Touch up paint sources:

Tesla
TouchUpDirect.com *
Dr. Colorchip *

* These companies have free online instructional videos available

** The hood is made of aluminum and can't rust; cover the chip with car wax until spring when the temperature warms and you can use the touch up paint.

thanks guys. Tesla have said on the messages they need the car for a week but I know what you mean they may opt to just use touch up paint which I would be happy with as they'll do a much better job than I am capable of!

jonahjones: Are you serious about leaving the car with them for a WEEK for a simple dab of touch up paint?

Tesla paint isn't special. Take it to a reputable body shop and have them clean the area, apply a dab of paint. In a couple of months, you'll forget about it (after several days/weeks of LOOKING at it every time you walk up to the car!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: CMPT PAD
You have a picture to share?

Depending on the damage, you can probably do this yourself. I've used the Tesla touch up paint available for sale on their website with surprising success, twice (blue MY). UNLESS you're going to have PPF applied, in which case you'll need to have the damage repaired by a professional (probably not Tesla service).

Respray is drastic and there's always a chance the hood wont match the other panels... to do it right, they're going to have to blend the neighboring panels. Its going to cost a lot to get a good job. I'd try using some touch up paint and watching tutorials. I've used it once, and its not too bad.

Its not a kit that's just a brush built into a bottle cap. It comes with a bottle of paint a couple of different size brushes and a q-tip like applicator. It also has a blending solution to use after you've filled in the chip. Each layer takes about 5min to dry, you do a few until the chip is filled so much its higher than the neighboring paint, then once its dry you gently use the blending solution to level it out.

It's not perfect, but I think the kit is like $50 and it may satisfy you. Definitely looks good, I can only see it because I know where to look.

Reactions: andaconda
If you plan to respray each time you will get stone chip - you may not be able to drive your Tesla :)
Anyway, the first one is upsetting, second one is fine.
As suggested touch up paint will be sufficient to fix any stone chip.
Otherwise just wrap the car in protective film.

crikey a few replies to get through...

@Pianewman I don't think you read my post correctly. They want to keep it for a week to respray. Of course I wouldn't leave it there for a week to apply some touch up paint.

@Tha_Ape thanks I will take a look.

@zpaul it doesn't bother me to be honest but I logged it in the app and they came back saying they wanted to repair it. I wasn't expecting that.

while on the subject did i read correctly that the white tesla touch up paint doesn't quite match properly?

I have a couple minor paint damage caused by Tesla (their repair shop) from my recent repair. Surprisingly (in a good way) they actually push for repainting the door and panel for me (everything will be on them), but I end up only asked for touch up as I am worried about the color mismatch as well. And honestly, I think repaint is a bit too over and I am sure I will get some rock chip/dent here and there down the road

Wife does want them to repaint tho... What do you guys think? Tesla said I can always go back and ask for a repaint..
IMG_1852.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 127
If they start respraying panels that might hit Carfax. That will significantly impact value when you go to sell or trade.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself take it to an experienced body shop and ask them to do a touch up. Now if it's a really serious paint issue that may be no other way. Generally speaking though you want to avoid respraying panels for this and the reasons others have pointed out above.