Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get a grip people! What all the complainers are missing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeesh! You want to know why Elon feels the need to anti-sell the Model 3? It's because of the delusional personalities that frequent these boards. You guys have built up the model 3 so huge in your minds that he is sure to miss expectations even if he delivered a car with all the features of the current Model S. It's lose lose for him. With expectations among some that the model 3 will be superior in almost all regards, it can't be easy to continue selling the Model S.

Here is what you are missing.
#1. The best affordable EV available for at least the next 3 years. At $35k it is cheaper than the Bolt, i3 and set at a fair premium to the Leaf. At that price point, it will be significantly faster, safer and infinitely better looking. Yes it can and will get more expensive depending on options, but they are either worth the cost or you shouldn't order them.

#2. It was never supposed to beat other entry level cars in old school thoughts of luxury. The Model S doesn't even come close in those regards. It's closer to a Hyundai than a Lexus. The luxury comes from silent, pollution free driving with new luxury features unavailable in other cars. i.e. Control most functions from the display.

#3. Lack of gauges, dials, buttons and air vents is NOT a bad thing. Do you guys decorate your bedrooms like that? Nicest part of the i3 is how relaxing the interior is designed. A HUD would still be appreciated for speed and directions and may end up being available. But it's not a deal breaker.

#4. Finally it's not supposed to be a Model S competitor or replacement. So many people are whining that it won't offer the same space, functionality and premium options of the Model S. Fantastic I say. I waited in line for a 3 series sized Tesla with a reasonable price tag. Yes, I would have preferred a hatchback, but I can appreciate the appeal of more passenger space and comfort. If I were to join the whining, it would be to complain that if anything the car is looking too big!

I think all the criticism towards the M3 are rooted in the fact that there are no other options for anyone who want an available, affordable, long range EV. So if any design on the M3 doesn't work for someone, they're left with no choice.

That's a complaint about the market, not Tesla.

Hopefully Elon has scared enough OEM's into finally producing compelling EVs.

I agree - it's an EV car, and compared to other EV's, the Model 3 compares favorably. It's closest competition is the Bolt, and it's better in almost every regard.

To echo a comment I made in the Model 3 V2 thread, this is going to be fitted like a <$30,000 car (EV premium contributes to this). It will be like a nicely-appointed Japanese car, and that's not a bad thing. That's what I have now, because it has more value than rich leather or chrome bits. I also happen to hate HUDs, so I'm glad there isn't one. And I'd prefer (and pay extra for) an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, but I've already owned cars with the speedo in the middle and it really wasn't bad.

When it comes down to it, we're getting an EV, 200+ mile range, good acceleration/handling (likely), and for $5k or so it can drive itself. An easy decision to purchase this car.

I would also prefer a hatchback - I don't know why people buy sedans, honestly - but it's not like I can act surprised about that. I just don't have the patience to wait for Model Y :)

I agree - it's an EV car, and compared to other EV's, the Model 3 compares favorably. It's closest competition is the Bolt, and it's better in almost every regard.

To echo a comment I made in the Model 3 V2 thread, this is going to be fitted like a <$30,000 car (EV premium contributes to this). It will be like a nicely-appointed Japanese car, and that's not a bad thing. That's what I have now, because it has more value than rich leather or chrome bits. I also happen to hate HUDs, so I'm glad there isn't one. And I'd prefer (and pay extra for) an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, but I've already owned cars with the speedo in the middle and it really wasn't bad.

When it comes down to it, we're getting an EV, 200+ mile range, good acceleration/handling (likely), and for $5k or so it can drive itself. An easy decision to purchase this car.

I would also prefer a hatchback - I don't know why people buy sedans, honestly - but it's not like I can act surprised about that. I just don't have the patience to wait for Model Y :)

You could always just move into a Model Y later, except then, you'll be a Tesla owner when it comes to reserving it.

That might be my plan.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and boaterva
Yeesh! You want to know why Elon feels the need to anti-sell the Model 3? It's because of the delusional personalities that frequent these boards. You guys have built up the model 3 so huge in your minds that he is sure to miss expectations even if he delivered a car with all the features of the current Model S. It's lose lose for him. With expectations among some that the model 3 will be superior in almost all regards, it can't be easy to continue selling the Model S...........

#4. Finally it's not supposed to be a Model S competitor or replacement. So many people are whining that it won't offer the same space, functionality and premium options of the Model S. Fantastic I say. I waited in line for a 3 series sized Tesla with a reasonable price tag. Yes, I would have preferred a hatchback, but I can appreciate the appeal of more passenger space and comfort. If I were to join the whining, it would be to complain that if anything the car is looking too big!

Well said Kzod.

Reactions: cdub
The killer is the interior. That's my only complaint. Current ride is a loaded Mercedes C-class. Best interior in its class according to a laundry list of reviewers. If what we see is what we get with Model 3 interior, its a downgrade in my book.

Not to disparage the Model 3, but the interior reminds me of a non-luxury car, instead of an electric compact German sedan fighter.

The killer is the interior. That's my only complaint. Current ride is a loaded Mercedes C-class. Best interior in its class according to a laundry list of reviewers. If what we see is what we get with Model 3 interior, its a downgrade in my book.

Not to disparage the Model 3, but the interior reminds me of a non-luxury car, instead of an electric compact German sedan fighter.
Why would you compare a loaded C-class to a Model 3?

Every manufacture has limited design & engineering resources. Mercedes focuses its resources to design and produce automobiles with magnificent interiors with uncompromising fit and finish.

Tesla focuses its resources to design and produce automobiles which cram unimaginable amounts of energy into battery packs which allow those cars to have mind altering accelerations and travel practical distances. They also drive themselves, somewhat.

Some people will suggest Mercedes has been focusing on the wrong things for too long.

Yea they won't beat Mercedes, when it comes to the interior. But have you been in a 3 series lately? Tesla has it's priorities elsewhere and I don't think everyone will be fine with that, but that's why we will need more than just one single EV brand. MB seems to get more interested in EVs, so maybe in a couple of years you will be able to buy an electric C-Class.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lem89 and bigez1
Yeesh! You want to know why Elon feels the need to anti-sell the Model 3? It's because of the delusional personalities that frequent these boards.

No, it's to boost sales of the Model S. Elon isn't phased by the whiners, at least in my view.

#2. It was never supposed to beat other entry level cars in old school thoughts of luxury. The Model S doesn't even come close in those regards. It's closer to a Hyundai than a Lexus.

We have a different view of what is appealing. I find Lexus' interiors gaudy and ugly with far too much going on...

2011-Lexus-LFA-Nurburgring-Edition-interior.jpg

Whereas this is sleek, minimalist and attractive...

2016_tesla_model_s_dashboard.jpg

But aesthetics are subjective so there is no right and wrong. I'm just glad Tesla is on the same side as me on this issue, and hasn't gone the way of Lexus or other luxury cars in this regard.

Other than that, your points are well taken. People are expecting a Model S in their Model 3 and that just won't be the case, unless perhaps you buy the performance version, then it might come close.

Yea they won't beat Mercedes, when it comes to the interior.

Seriously folks do you still believe Tesla is trying to follow legacy design ?

The current bunch is running north east south and west looking at each other while Tesla is taking off heading right up, looking at the legacy mess from a distance and laughing out loud. Is the direction any clearer?

When it comes to pricing, I would not write a check yet.

But the rest I agree with. A quick RWD EV with more than 200 miles of range that can use Superchargers will sell just fine.

People who want MB/BMW/Lexus/Etc should simply go out and buy one BEFORE you test drive a Tesla. Because once you drive a performance EV, you're never going to feel the same about ICE drivetrains. There is that much difference.

I suppose the best analogy would be walking in gravel. If you've done it your whole life barefoot, keep at at. Because when you try it once wearing shoes, every time you walk in gravel barefoot you'll be thinking about shoes.

I think all the criticism towards the M3 are rooted in the fact that there are no other options for anyone who want an available, affordable, long range EV. So if any design on the M3 doesn't work for someone, they're left with no choice.
EXACTLY. What if I want a sexy fast electric car, but I don't want it to be filled with other high-tech unreliable toys and touchscreens?

Brands like BMW and mercedes don't try to help the sales of their more expensive cars by taking away features that should still exist on their entry level cars. BMW doesn't try to goose the 8 series sales by making the 3 series cockpit seem like it's missing stuff, they do it by offering more in the 8 series.
One can definitely make an argument that with the M3 coming, it would be the right time to update the MS/X to target further upmarket. The current MS/MX, in terms of luxury amenity, may be more comparable with E-class/5-series, but price point is close to a S-class/7-series. With an update, MS/X can target S-class/7-series more directly, and also create more differentiation with the M3.