Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genrator for back up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of generator would i need to run 30 amps at 240 to charge my tesla. Would i need a inverter generator or abiasic genaratir will do?
Tell us more about your need to run a generator to charge your Tesla; I'm really curious. Are chargers that few and far between in the west? Are you remotely camping? A little late at this juncture but maybe a hybrid would have suited your needs better. In over 6 years of ownership I've never once stopped somewhere and thought: wow, a large generator in my frunk would be great right now.

First and only post, misspellings, odd question from a person in Phoenix that has tons of Superchargers for emergencies.
I don't think I agree that it's intentional. I've seen this several times over the years, where someone is trying to get a spare belt and spare suspenders to go with their belt and suspenders because they have heard too much fear mongering from anti-EV people, so they may simply be intensely scared and worried and think they need four kinds of backup for potentially running out of energy spontaneously.

Reactions: Ciaopec and dmurphy
I don't think I agree that it's intentional. I've seen this several times over the years, where someone is trying to get a spare belt and spare suspenders to go with their belt and suspenders because they have heard too much fear mongering from anti-EV people, so they may simply be intensely scared and worried and think they need four kinds of backup for potentially running out of energy spontaneously.

Range anxiety is a real thing in the beginning …

Even now I meet Tesla drivers who get panic’d about it. I just don’t think everyone realizes quite how pervasive the Supercharging network has gotten.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I did some repairs on the 5.5kw generator at our daughters place last year. Used my Model 3 as a "test load". I bought the L14-30 adapter for the UMC from evseadapters. It all worked - but I did have to dial the amperage down to about 12 amps before charging was able to commence. Guess the 5.5 kw was a peak spec and half that was what it was able to cleanly continuously provide.

i recently had 4 days of no power due to storms, was like let’s have some fun with test charging the tesla. My 16 year old Honda eu6500is is tied into house w/ transfer switch. With water pump, fridge/freezer, etc I usually tone it down to like 5-10 amps at 240v and charges tesla fine (sometimes I turn off well pump not to trip the generator).
Earlier this year I picked up on the cheap($200/auction) a ryobi 1800/2300w 110v gen, only had 18 hours on it and figured see how it works charging the tesla, I put 2 tanks into it for about 10-11 hours total run time and maintained load around 1350-1400 watts.
I had to make a quick dummy plug (ground to neutral) to get around portable charger ground check, and ran the tesla portable charger @ 12amps/120v. 1 gallon of fuel added about 6% charge on my 100d over 5 hours. Guessing ~25 mpg 😜
(Typed on phone - sorry for typos)

I cannot explain why it worked, but I have certainly charged a friends Tesla from my 10kva generator while
same sat in the bed of my truck. Ungrounded. Older MC, maybe that’s why. Charged at 32 amps.

OP, some folks, myself included, don’t like to run generators over 80% rated load. That should be a familiar percentage.. 10kva running.

Reactions: Iluvpcs