Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genovation Cars, Inc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy are these guys late to the table!

Company aims to build viable electric car in Md.

Genovation CEO Andrew Saul has turned to a small Maryland defense contractor to help fine-tune the shape for efficiency. And, he says, a factory capable of turning out 3,000 handcrafted cars annually could be built in Maryland, perhaps Baltimore. He hopes to begin building the vehicles in two years and sell them for $60,000 each.

"Here in the Maryland area, we have a very affluent and aware population that knows we have to get off gasoline and get busy cleaning the air. This is a great place for us to be," Saul said.

Energy expert Robert Bryce, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, summed up the rocky history of the vehicles at a 2010 forum on sustainable transportation: "Electric cars are the next big thing. And they always will be."

:p thptttttt!

"There's really nothing like it on the market," said Saul, as he watched a silver mock-up the size of a Radio Flyer wagon take the brunt of a 30-mph head wind. "It's a sporty car that will go 100 miles on a charge and hold four adults."

Really? Nothing on the market like it?!

I'd say there's room for niche players, but these guys don't seem to bring anything new to the table. Without anything new or interesting, there's no niche, and barriers to entry are high.

It might make more sense to focus on one aspect. Develop some component or technology that would be useful for EVs (or cars in general) that make them better in some way and try to sell that.

Yeah, I guess it's just me being selfish since I can't make it with a sub-100 mile range. So far Tesla is the only company at the table that can meet my needs. Even though I have lots of TSLA stock, I would rather there be other companies at the table.