Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geneva Motor Show - Zurich to Geneva on Friday, 9th of March 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about 78%. Not bad...

I grabbed photographic proof of this mythical Roadster :)

Anng5g8CEAAvY9b.jpg:large

Today was another awesome day. We took he Roadsters up into the mountains, went through CERN, saw lots of new EVs, a working example of the cheap Nissan CHAdeMO, rode in a Focus EV which is a really nice car with a lot of poke, rode in an e-Tracer which is insanely quick (EV grin mark 2) and booked a test of the Focus and Twizzy for tomorrow.

Ano_xjoCEAAZVlH.jpg:large

Riding in the Focus EV

My favourite car of the show might just be the Exagon Furtive. Very classy car, both inside and out. A really nice GT EV.

If Frankfurt 09 was about the EV hype, Geneva 12 is the EV reality - and I like it.

Good luck with the drive. See you all in Geneva around 5pm.
You dog! Last we discussed, you weren't sure you were going to get a "hall pass" from the wife to make the trek to Switzerland! Guess you solved that!

I look on at all the posts on this thread with reminiscing pride and envy. I remember driving around in my Roadster in 2009 & 2010, getting together with other like-minded people who wanted to change the world, have fun doing it and all the great mass road trips we planned. One of us even set up a site: SoCal GreenSpeed. 2011 seemed to be a turning point where, at least in So Cal, the Roadster became more main stream and there was less enthusiasm from some of the newer owners to get "the message" out. Of course the "old guys" are still kicking! :rolleyes:

We paid homage to those EVers who came before us and marched the metaphorical football down the field (that's American football, not European futbol - though I like the European variety better, for purposes of analogy, the American variety works better). We took that football down the field some and now our European brothers & sisters are taking even further! Keep up the good work & continue forging life-long friendships along the way!

great story. it did my way back from geneve, a 700km ride within 15.5h, 9.5h driving, 1h waste time because charging stopped without any reason, 2.5h charge each at 63A at the HPC in Dolder Grand Zürich and Meilenwerk Böblingen.

and Udo did 1000km within 24h on his way from Sylt to Zürich.

great story. it did my way back from geneve, a 700km ride within 15.5h, 9.5h driving, 1h waste time because charging stopped without any reason, 2.5h charge each at 63A at the HPC in Dolder Grand Zürich and Meilenwerk Böblingen.

and Udo did 1000km within 24h on his way from Sylt to Zürich.

Sylt to Zurich : must have been an epic roadtrip too!

Last edited:
Hey, got your Roadster vs Karma pic, but it came through low res on the MMS - It would be cool for the group to see.

Thanks for ferrying me around by the way, very much appreciated. Did you notice we caused an EV traffic jam when you dropped me off? The beeping was coming from a Mercedes Vito E-cell :)

Just in the last few minutes of my marathon treck back - 1000km, 8 hours, 0 oil.

By the way, today I drove the Focus, Transit Connect, Bolore Bluecar and Renault Twizy.

Focus is a very solid car. Only criticism is that there is some initial lag and acceleration noticably drops off after 40mph - but still overall it's a good all round package. Ford interiors really are up with the best now.

Transit is fine. Plenty of performance for a van.

Bluecar is simple but ideal for its role in life, as a small city car (it's the Paris Autolib car). It has very sophisticated telematics that integrate with the charging network in Paris.

Twizzy was a little underwhelming. I expected it to be more scooter-like, but it doesn't have the performance.

I'll post more photos tomorrow when I get a chance to offload the cameras.

You dog! Last we discussed, you weren't sure you were going to get a "hall pass" from the wife to make the trek to Switzerland! Guess you solved that!

Well, I didn't get the green light to drive (more a work issue then domestic) but I have bored my wife so much about EVs and the awesome change that is about to happen that she was as keen as I to see the show. We flew instead.

I wish I had driven, but we all got together on Friday evening (outstanding work from Jochen, Nico and all Tesla CH+AT+CEE) for beers and then a superb meal. The atmosphere was awesome and meeting Tron, dpeilow, Eberhard, and many others was fantastic. These are special people. The German dude with the 190k Roadster is a unique human being!

...I look on at all the posts on this thread with reminiscing pride and envy. I remember driving around in my Roadster in 2009 & 2010, getting together with other like-minded people who wanted to change the world, have fun doing it and all the great mass road trips we planned. ... We took that football down the field some and now our European brothers & sisters are taking even further! Keep up the good work & continue forging life-long friendships along the way!

There is no question that Cali kicked things off, and very well too, but I can't believe its all over now. Dude, the switch to EVs has barely started. Tron is organising a round-the-World trip and next year's Geneva meetup could be even bigger.

My quick summary of the show:

Geneva was an orgy of super-charged Cayenne's. Astons and Veyrons with a "green tent" away from the main hall containing the EV loonatic fringe. Tesla did so well to get their stand in the thick of the rest, and they avoided any mention of classic EV (charging points, Zero Emissions evangelising...) and focussed on the pure gut attraction of their cars.

Renault also broke ground with the Zoe (as dpeilow has said). You'll not see this in the US but its a very credible pure EV with charging infrastructure, charging apps combined with GPS, good range and performance, great looks, and presented in the main hall, not the crazy padded tent.

We're ordering one too, so with a Roadster, Zoe and Model S our entire family can kiss goodbye to the wheeled campfire once and for all.

she was as keen as I to see the show. We flew instead.
One step at a time. Good show 'ol chap!
Tesla did so well to get their stand in the thick of the rest, and they avoided any mention of classic EV (charging points, Zero Emissions evangelising...) and focussed on the pure gut attraction of their cars.
They have always been good at that!
You'll not see this in the US
So much eye-candy we don't get State-side but get too oogle from across the pond!

There was one car in the "padded tent" that deserved to be in the main hall though - the Exagon Furtive. It's a crazy price though, but a really nice design and execution.

Here is a great shot of the Roadster Invasion hitting the show

64147_254803421274657_115422645212736_565052_1928478485_n.jpg

Many more on ZCW's facebook

Did anyone get photos or footage of that Hummer box-in incident? ;-)

There was one car in the "padded tent" that deserved to be in the main hall though - the Exagon Furtive.

Agreed. Can't be cheap getting a stand but with one sale they could have justified that investment. And if they had put the girl from the Alfa stand on their car who knows!

I am certain that some time soon the tables will turn... it won't be the EVs marginalized in the "padded tent" but the ICE's marginalized in the "smoking zone". One day soon....