Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's very straightforward. You just need a "60A circuit" ideally, but it can be less if practical.

Unfortunately, electricians don't always know how to do their jobs so yeah, you do need to make yourself "aware". For example:
  • No GFCI is needed/advised
  • No disconnect is needed/advised
  • No neutral is needed - for Romex runs look for terms like "6/2" or "4/2", not "6/3" or "4/3", or for conduit runs there should be 2 conductors plus ground, not 3 plus ground.
  • 50A is fine in many cases and is especially compelling if 6/2 Romex is preferably over a conduit run. Often electricians will just fixate on the "60A" maximum and perhaps sell you much more than you really need. There's sometimes big jump in cost between 50A and 60A.
  • Electricians tend to be very conservative as they don't want you complaining that your lights dim when the A/C kicks on. Be aware that they may try to persuade you to upgrade your whole main panel for this and it's almost always unnecessary.
  • Consider Romex. If the electrician's plan sounds convoluted, expensive, and unattractive, ask if "6/2 Romex" would simplify the job by allowing the wires to be run loose thru the attic and walls instead. Or "4/2 Romex" if you want the full 60A capacity for a 48A charge rate.

Yes, it's very straightforward. You just need a "60A circuit" ideally, but it can be less if practical.

Unfortunately, electricians don't always know how to do their jobs so yeah, you do need to make yourself "aware". For example:
  • No GFCI is needed/advised
  • No disconnect is needed/advised
  • No neutral is needed - for Romex runs look for terms like "6/2" or "4/2", not "6/3" or "4/3", or for conduit runs there should be 2 conductors plus ground, not 3 plus ground.
  • 50A is fine in many cases and is especially compelling if 6/2 Romex is preferably over a conduit run. Often electricians will just fixate on the "60A" maximum and perhaps sell you much more than you really need. There's sometimes big jump in cost between 50A and 60A.
  • Electricians tend to be very conservative as they don't want you complaining that your lights dim when the A/C kicks on. Be aware that they may try to persuade you to upgrade your whole main panel for this and it's almost always unnecessary.
  • Consider Romex. If the electrician's plan sounds convoluted, expensive, and unattractive, ask if "6/2 Romex" would simplify the job by allowing the wires to be run loose thru the attic and walls instead. Or "4/2 Romex" if you want the full 60A capacity for a 48A charge rate.
Thanks for the advice. Went with 60A, I see you’re up the hill in TO. I had the guys from Conejo Valley Electric due the job. I’m satisfied with the work and price.

50A is fine in many cases and is especially compelling if 6/2 Romex is preferably over a conduit run. Often electricians will just fixate on the "60A" maximum and perhaps sell you much more than you really need. There's sometimes big jump in cost between 50A and 60A.
I'll expound on this part for the new folks. Frequently people start off with telling the electrician, "Give me a 60A circuit." so that's what they look at and bid, and sometimes that does require significant extra cost and upgrades if it's more than what your existing panel or service can provide.

It is usually more helpful to start off with a question: "Do a load calculation. How big of an extra circuit can I add?"

There may be capacity to add a 30 or 40A circuit easily and cheaply, where a 60A gets pricey to make it work.