Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector cable temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel a bit silly asking this but is it normal for the cable going from the Wall Connector to the car to get pretty warm when charging? My wall connector was installed by an electrician that does this all the time so I'm assuming this is normal. It is a 60amp circuit so it is outputting the maximum amount when charging, so I would assume that the cable will get warm with that much juice going through it. Am I worrying about nothing?

Yes it’s completely normal for it to be quite warm. The UMC that came with the car and your HPWC cable will get a bit more than warm to the touch but both have temperature cutoffs so don’t worry too much.

Try to leave some space between the cable when charging, don’t wrap it up like an extension cable if ya know what I mean.

If it gets warmer than you like, totally call an electrician to come out and check it out, totally worth the peace of mind no matter the price.

Yes it’s completely normal for it to be quite warm. The UMC that came with the car and your HPWC cable will get a bit more than warm to the touch but both have temperature cutoffs so don’t worry too much.

Try to leave some space between the cable when charging, don’t wrap it up like an extension cable if ya know what I mean.

If it gets warmer than you like, totally call an electrician to come out and check it out, totally worth the peace of mind no matter the price.
Thanks. I wanted to assume this was normal as it makes sense considering the energy that is being pushed down that wire. I appreciate the confirmation.

This seemed like the closest thread to share some pics of my Chargepoint Flex charging a new Model Y at 40A (on a 50A circuit). Yes, cables (and thus conduit) and breaker get warm, but in my setup never above 110F.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 143
This helps demonstrate why it is important to hang the charging cord with relatively large loose loops (try saying that three times fast) if you don't need the full length of the charging cord extended to reach the charging port. Small tight loops will trap heat, could exceed the cable rating while charging.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz