Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger WPA2/WPA3 compatibility Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ramphex

Pre-re-re-refresh MS Owner
Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2021
Tampa Bay Area
Is anyone else's Gen 3 Wall Charger failing to connect to any network that's WPA2/WPA3 or just WPA3? The manual states that it supports it, but in real world testing, it does not. The charger ONLY connects to WiFi when I set the network to WPA2 only.

Wall charger is on firmware 1.4.2-0 and refuses to update to 1.4.4. Does WPA2/WPA3 work on 1.4.4?

Screen shot from the manual:
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 6.14.19 PM.png

I wouldn’t be against it. But I wouldn’t want to run an Ethernet cord to the wall charger that has a broken site that display no useful statistics and for it to not even update to the latest software while idling on my network. I am curious if 1.4.4 fixes the WPA2/WPA3 issue though

I’m having the same issue. I just installed my new Gen 3 Wall Charger (24ft) and could not get the unit to connect to my Nest mesh WiFi system. I had to disable WPA3 to get the wall charger to connect. Software version is 1.4.2-0 with no update available.

I also cannot commission my gen3 wall charger. I have WPA2. Everything proceeds until I try to get to the website http://192.168.92.1 Which never responds ( server times out) during multiple tries at all hours day and night over past two months. No indication that a car is necessary and I want charger working before I drive in after picking up vehicle. I am 125 miles from nearest supercharger. What gives???

I also cannot commission my gen3 wall charger. I have WPA2. Everything proceeds until I try to get to the website http://192.168.92.1 Which never responds ( server times out) during multiple tries at all hours day and night over past two months. No indication that a car is necessary and I want charger working before I drive in after picking up vehicle. I am 125 miles from nearest supercharger. What gives???
Can you post a video or photos of what you're trying to do?

Reactions: Ramphex
Are you sure it’s WPA2 and not mixed mode of WPA2/WPA3? Because mixed doesn’t work either. It has to legit be the legacy WPA2 only

Is anyone else's Gen 3 Wall Charger failing to connect to any network that's WPA2/WPA3 or just WPA3? The manual states that it supports it, but in real world testing, it does not. The charger ONLY connects to WiFi when I set the network to WPA2 only.

Wall charger is on firmware 1.4.2-0 and refuses to update to 1.4.4. Does WPA2/WPA3 work on 1.4.4?

View attachment 696268
Have the same issue. Had to turn off WPA3 on Eero to allow it to connect.

Can you post a video or photos of what you're trying to do?
Will try. Traveling now. Commissioned charger at second home , with different WiFi modem and supplier, with little difficulty. But that’s the home within 4 miles of supercharger. The problem one is in the middle of nowhere And I absolutely must have.

That IP will only work while you're connected to the Wall Connector's built-in WiFi network that it broadcasts, it won't work while you're connected to your home WiFi. The build-in network is the one that you need to be connected to to commission it. You don't need to have it successfully connected to your home WiFi in order to get charging to work, you just need to connect to the Wall Connector's built-in WiFi, visit http://192.168.92.1, and select your correct region/amperage. Then you can use it to charge.

Have you power cycled the wall connector (turn the breaker off for 30 seconds or so and then re-energize it)? That should put it back to "out-of-box" mode and it should broadcast the built in WiFi again (if I recall correctly it stops after a handful of minutes). Maybe that's why you're not getting to the commissioning page.

View attachment 696268
Yes. I was unable to get it to join my network nor connect until I turned off WPA3 on my mesh network.

Reactions: Rocky_H