Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Mobil Charger Waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the gen 2 mobile charger waterproof? Long story short, I"m going to need an extension cord to get my MS charged overnight on the 14-50 outlet. With an extension cord, the mobile connector will be exposed to the elements in the area of my driveway.

It is NEMA 4X rated, so “water tight” and is fine for rain exposure (but not submersion!).

The instructions do say “don’t use in heavy rain”, and they also say “don’t use extension cords”... take that for what you will.

If you do opt for an extension cord, make sure it is if sufficient gauge for the current it will be carrying, and note that the connection between cords is not water tight, so plan/protect it accordingly.

It is NEMA 4X rated, so “water tight” and is fine for rain exposure (but not submersion!).

The instructions do say “don’t use in heavy rain”, and they also say “don’t use extension cords”... take that for what you will.

If you do opt for an extension cord, make sure it is if sufficient gauge for the current it will be carrying, and note that the connection between cords is not water tight, so plan/protect it accordingly.
Perfect thanks.

I would as a matter of general practice turn down amperage when using an extension cord.
Now if pulling only 32amps thru a 50amp rated 14-50 cord I might let it slide since you would be at 65% vs. the normal 80%.
Keep an eye on voltage if it is sagging much, lower amperage. The car will remember the setting for location so you won't have to play with it every day.

I would as a matter of general practice turn down amperage when using an extension cord.
Now if pulling only 32amps thru a 50amp rated 14-50 cord I might let it slide since you would be at 65% vs. the normal 80%.
Keep an eye on voltage if it is sagging much, lower amperage. The car will remember the setting for location so you won't have to play with it every day.
Thanks for advice. I have gen 2 mobile charger so Im maxed out at 32 anyway.

Yeah that was my point about only pulling 32amps on a 50amp plug.

Can you should the "box" from some of the direct weather? A all deck box or garden tools cabinet maybe? It is ok outside but......

I know everyone poopoos it but a HCWC on an outside wall is a good option and I think the cord is a little longer.

Yeah that was my point about only pulling 32amps on a 50amp plug.

Can you should the "box" from some of the direct weather? A all deck box or garden tools cabinet maybe? It is ok outside but......

I know everyone poopoos it but a HCWC on an outside wall is a good option and I think the cord is a little longer.
Exactly what I was going to do!! Pelican box or something. Or I’ll just run it under my truck so it’s covered up. Single lane driveway with 3 cars now.