Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gear selector changed 23 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a thread on this forum where a member had the same issue as me. This is how my gear selection was when I bought the car 3 weeks ago. I since installed a Hansshow 5 inch screen (my wife's car, I didn't want the damn screen) it all changed. I even tried removing the screen and now I am still stuck with the hard presses to change gears.

Previous behavior of RIGHT stalk while in park (before screen install)-
  • Light press UP: Reverse
  • Light press DOWN: Drive
  • Hold up: Neutral

Current behavior while in Park or Drive after screen install -
  • Light press UP: Neutral
  • Light press DOWN: Neutral
  • Hard press UP (2 stops): Reverse
  • Hard press DOWN (2 stops): Drive
  • Hold up: Nothing (stays in Neutral)
A few more notes.. the 23 M3P I demoed behaved just like my previous behavior. Also a friend of mine also has a M3P that behaves like the previous behavior. When I came across the thread on here the member had a tail light mobile service appointment which caused his gear selector to have to be hard pressed to change gears. Everyone on the forum said the current behavior is the correct behavior according to the user manual.. which I agree the manual says it should act like it currently is acting. I really miss the soft presses to change gears and more importantly did anyone else experience the light press to switch gears? I have a mobile service appointment scheduled and will have the screen completely removed. Thanks!

I found a thread on this forum where a member had the same issue as me. This is how my gear selection was when I bought the car 3 weeks ago. I since installed a Hansshow 5 inch screen (my wife's car, I didn't want the damn screen) it all changed. I even tried removing the screen and now I am still stuck with the hard presses to change gears.

Previous behavior of RIGHT stalk while in park (before screen install)-
  • Light press UP: Reverse
  • Light press DOWN: Drive
  • Hold up: Neutral

Current behavior while in Park or Drive after screen install -
  • Light press UP: Neutral
  • Light press DOWN: Neutral
  • Hard press UP (2 stops): Reverse
  • Hard press DOWN (2 stops): Drive
  • Hold up: Nothing (stays in Neutral)
A few more notes.. the 23 M3P I demoed behaved just like my previous behavior. Also a friend of mine also has a M3P that behaves like the previous behavior. When I came across the thread on here the member had a tail light mobile service appointment which caused his gear selector to have to be hard pressed to change gears. Everyone on the forum said the current behavior is the correct behavior according to the user manual.. which I agree the manual says it should act like it currently is acting. I really miss the soft presses to change gears and more importantly did anyone else experience the light press to switch gears? I have a mobile service appointment scheduled and will have the screen completely removed. Thanks!
Did you perhaps update the software also? What software version are you on (and which one is your friend's)?
The latter behavior is exactly the expected behavior as of the latest software version:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-41E02406-1983-4511-BBB4-158DD94796C6.html

I looked through an older copy of the 2018 Model 3 manual, it also says the same thing. The only difference is you have to hold the shifter in the first detent for more than 1 second for Neutral:
"Push the lever up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral."
I also looked up a 2022 copy, it also says "more than 1 second".
The current manual says: "briefly" instead. I guess a recent update changed the behavior to lower the amount of time it takes for it to shift into Neutral.

However to shift into drive or reverse, you still have to do a full push of the shifter to the second detent (it has nothing to do with the amount of pressure you apply, it's the position).

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul Surfer
Did you perhaps update the software also? What software version are you on (and which one is your friend's)?
The latter behavior is exactly the expected behavior as of the latest software version:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-41E02406-1983-4511-BBB4-158DD94796C6.html

I looked through an older copy of the 2018 Model 3 manual, it also says the same thing. The only difference is you have to hold the shifter in the first detent for more than 1 second for Neutral:
"Push the lever up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral."
I also looked up a 2022 copy, it also says "more than 1 second".
The current manual says: "briefly" instead. I guess a recent update changed the behavior to lower the amount of time it takes for it to shift into Neutral.

However to shift into drive or reverse, you still have to do a full push of the shifter to the second detent (it has nothing to do with the amount of pressure you apply, it's the position).
Thanks for the reply. I will go out and check my software version. I will say that I have only had the car for 3 weeks and it only did one update. The change literally happened right after the screen install. Screen install took 20 minutes, as soon as it was completed I went for a test drive and that's when it changed the behavior. I tried removing the screen and it stayed the same. This was a direct result of the screen install.. something happened.

Thank you for an educated kind reply. The Tesla FB groups are down right embarrassing and rude. It's nice to have a forum where adults reply. They were treating me like I was insane and have no clue about my automotive background. My family (my Mom, my Dad, my brother, and myself) own 2 automotive collision facilities for the past 44 years. I have more complex automotive knowledge than almost anyone on those groups and they are calling me insane and asking me what kind of drugs I am on...

Thanks for the reply. I will go out and check my software version. I will say that I have only had the car for 3 weeks and it only did one update. The change literally happened right after the screen install. Screen install took 20 minutes, as soon as it was completed I went for a test drive and that's when it changed the behavior. I tried removing the screen and it stayed the same. This was a direct result of the screen install.. something happened.

Thank you for an educated kind reply. The Tesla FB groups are down right embarrassing and rude. It's nice to have a forum where adults reply. They were treating me like I was insane and have no clue about my automotive background. My family (my Mom, my Dad, my brother, and myself) own 2 automotive collision facilities for the past 44 years. I have more complex automotive knowledge than almost anyone on those groups and they are calling me insane and asking me what kind of drugs I am on...
It's possible when you did the screen install, you did a full reboot where previously you didn't and the car didn't fully update all the variables previously. I doubt the screen itself would change the behavior. Maybe others can chime in what their behavior is like and what version they have.