Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny FSD story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a funny FSD story.

I was driving on FSD using my Tesla Model X and I noticed a police officer following me. I actually just let FSD go the exact speed limit so I did not worry about it. I suddenly noticed that he was turning when I turned and finally he pulls me over. I took over manually fast so I do not know how FSD would have handled it (my mistake). I immidately saved my Tesla-cam video for evidence purposes.

So he asks for the usual and I provide it. I then ask what was the issue because I know I was not speeding. He said that I was pulled over because I was driving "too good". He says when someone is driving that exact on the speed limit they are usually trying to hide something. I then explained that I was using Tesla's FSD and that is why I was so exact. He did not know what that was so I explained. He then said that it was not possible. So I said I could show him if he liked. He left his car with the police lights on on the side of the road and got in to my car. We then ran FSD around the block and officer was shocked.

As he returned to his car he told me that he will not pull over Tesla's that are driving perfectly anymore and then laughed.

Crazy but funny.
Screenshot (203).png

Oof, Funny how a silly story about a traffic stop can cause threads to get political.

Seems odd that a cop would hop in your car and go for a ride... I guess if you were non-threatening enough in general appearance and demeanor, but that just sounds like something that would be against their rules/regulations. That said, curiosity cats and all that... anything is possible.

My mother (owned a Model 3) back in 2019 and was pulled over, they told her to take down the tablet, it was a dangerous obstruction and distraction. It took her a while to explain that this was her gauge cluster/display.

I have found that police are sometimes curious and fascinated by Teslas.

I had a cop pull up next to me at a supercharger and he struck up a long conversation about the car and what it was like to go to EV from ICE. Genuinely interested and he wasn’t being an ass. My wife and I were on a road trip down the east coast and he was fun to talk to, although he was so talkative it was hard to break away and get on the road again.

I’m generally pretty pro cop and understanding, but putting the lights on somebody who is driving on cruise control/fsd at the speed limit and for no other reason is not a cool move. Cars have had cruise control for decades and even speeders will drop it to the speed limit when they notice police.
I was at a supercharger when a cop pulled up and asked me about charging costs. He was genuinely interested. And on his lunch break.

Welcome to America. 😬
As a refugee kid who fled the communist invasion of Vietnam, I came to America so that I would have rights and freedoms. Though, in defense of law enforcement, these bad examples are rare and not commonplace. I often say that the way we do things in America must seem like the worst way possible - except for everywhere else in the world.

As a refugee kid who fled the communist invasion of Vietnam, I came to America so that I would have rights and freedoms. Though, in defense of law enforcement, these bad examples are rare and not commonplace. I often say that the way we do things in America must seem like the worst way possible - except for everywhere else in the world.
I hear ya. And I agree. As I was reading this and putting myself in the OPs position, I probably would have turned off FSD, knowing there’s a cop behind me since it’d look like I was suspicious driving too carefully. Which in this case was the reason the cop pulled him over.

Reactions: kingkong5
That is a great phrase, and very true. We are not perfect! But compared to other options, we are pretty good.

Reactions: kingkong5
Here in California we let folks loot stores, break into cars, and live happily on the sidewalks. If the cops won't intervene with those issues, I hope they won't stop folks over for 'driving too well.'
I have had my personalized license plates since 1974, they've been on 9 cars. Cal blue with yellow letters. When I ordered my MX, I found a guy who strips and repaints license plates. I got pulled over by CHP for my plate being to "shiny" and he asked if I had it painted. Turns out that's illegal to repaint a plate. He didn't write me up, but wanted to know if it was originally a blue & yellow plate, and that I didn't change the color of a black & yellow plate. He called in, but I guess they cannot confirm the original color, since he said he'll have to take my word for it. He admitted the color match was spot on. He didn't act "wierd" about looking into the car itself for any reason, just asking about the license plate. He was very professional.