Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Charge Not Recommended by Tesla on Regular Basis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish my salesperson told me BEFORE I purchased that car that Tesla does not recommend fully charging the battery. Standard charge only gets my 60Kw battery to approx. 189mi, I need the full 240 regularly. That would've influenced my buying decision.

I wish my salesperson told me BEFORE I purchased that car that Tesla does not recommend fully charging the battery. Standard charge only gets my 60Kw battery to approx. 189mi, I need the full 240 regularly. That would've influenced my buying decision.

If you had asked anyone on these forums or the main Tesla ones, we would have all recommended the 85kWh battery. Did you tell your salesperson that you would need the full "240" charge regularly?

If you need to range charge for a trip try to organise that the charge to complete as close as possible to your departure time.
I understand that the negative effect on the battery is both charging to 100% and how long the battery stays at 100% SOC. Minimising the time at 100% SOC will minimise the effect on the battery.
Many Model S owners do a standard charge then change the charge type to range using the smartphone app a few hours before leaving.
Hope that helps.

I find this post odd. No one would recommend the 60 if you needed 240 on the regular.

Who advised you? Did you read the specs on TESLAs site before purchasing?

Did you have any interaction with TESLA prior to purchase?

EPA range numbers have been out for a while for the 60kWh pack. A routine 240 mile trip, depending upon conditions, may even push the limits of the 85kWh pack, and certainly will after a couple years of degradation. If I routinely did that long of a trip (as in more than once a month) I would buy a hybrid or have a second car for that purpose.

You could try to talk to Tesla about trading in the 60 kWh battery for a 85 kWh battery. Switching battery packs is supposedly something like a 15 minute job.

Maybe they will be willing to sell you an upgrade for $15000 or something. I'd expect it to cost less than losing the $7500 tax rebate, in any case. (If Tesla is able and willing to sell you the upgrade, of course.)

If you talk to Tesla about this, let us know what they say! It would be useful information.

I don't think different size packs are interchangeable. Would have been nice though...
They are not interchangeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. Where ya been kinddog. Been missin' ya!
kinddog is desperately trying to lose his green dot :)

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I thought the 60 kWh pack just had fewer cells in it.
mknox, I thought I read here that the "missing cells" are replaced by some kind of "dead cells" so that the weight would be the same ... thus not have to undergo another crash test for all three car weights?

Really? I thought the 60 kWh pack just had fewer cells in it.
My understanding is that the 85 kWh and 60 kWh packs have the same number of cells, but use different variants of the battery cells, and then the 40 kWh pack uses fewer cells.

But I don't believe I've seen official information on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know why? US regulations or technical reasons?

I doubt that. Seeing that they have the 'battery replacement program' (meaning they can actually remove the battery and put a new one in), and the fact that they state on their facts page that it is possible to upgrade to a larger battery:
While technically possible to upgrade to a larger battery, we recommend configuring your Model S with the battery that meets both your present and future needs.

IMHO I think that they will indeed offer this upgrade path in the future. I think they reason that various Tesla people have said that this is not true is likely due to just trying to convince people to spend more money now than later. I also haven't seen any official documents saying this won't be possible. Only speculation and blog posts. Their fact sheet seems like the most official doc I've seen related to this topic which states that it will indeed be possible in the future.