Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. Went into a showroom ready to buy, guy ran my VIN and he said cars all have either a 1 or a 2 code beside them, my VIN code returned a 2 and so it was not eligible. (He didn't know why, he hypothesized it might have had to do with my AP hardware version.)

However I suspect it is the fact that I added FSD on later instead of at purchase.

I have a 10/2018 3 LR. I believe I bought it w/ EAP and then later added on FSD for $2k. I know I had to get a new computer when I did the FSD (or soon after).

I was thinking I might call around and see if someone else is giving out different answers or better answers. Seems like the program is changing daily.

Shame, too, because I would have bought an inventory Y that night.

With your information, I called Tesla on my 2018 M3 with the FSD for $2K. My car returned a ACS1. I also got the HW3 upgrade. He did not think that was eligible, as that meant AP1. But you said yours was a 2 and not eligible?

And then he admitted he didn't know and will call me back. What a mess.
Just got a txt back from Tesla local sales office. My M3 with the FSD $2K upgrade and ACS1 code can do the FSD transfer. Great news.

Only hold back is the future sale of new car and will FSD be stripped when its sold, privately? One interpretation is that the old sentence of "private sale" was removed since it did not encompass trade-in to any other dealer. Private sale was too narrow so they removed it to ensure it means any or all dispositions.

With your information, I called Tesla on my 2018 M3 with the FSD for $2K. My car returned a ACS1. I also got the HW3 upgrade. He did not think that was eligible, as that meant AP1. But you said yours was a 2 and not eligible?

And then he admitted he didn't know and will call me back. What a mess.

HOPEFULLY they extend this due to problems. I should be eligible and heard nothing.

Only hold back is the future sale of new car and will FSD be stripped when its sold, privately? One interpretation is that the old sentence of "private sale" was removed since it did not encompass trade-in to any other dealer. Private sale was too narrow so they removed it to ensure it means any or all dispositions.

Not sure I’m reading this right. They remove it from your existing car about a week before you get your new car.

They state even if you keep the old car it is removed a week before it is transferred to the new one.

You can’t do sale to private party and have it keep FSD while also doing a transmitter. It would be removed prior to the sale or worst in your case after the sale and your buyer would have issue with you.

Current license either stays with current car or you do transfer and it is removed for current car, regardless of what is done with current car, and moved to new car.

Same. Went into a showroom ready to buy, guy ran my VIN and he said cars all have either a 1 or a 2 code beside them, my VIN code returned a 2 and so it was not eligible. (He didn't know why, he hypothesized it might have had to do with my AP hardware version.)

However I suspect it is the fact that I added FSD on later instead of at purchase.

I have a 10/2018 3 LR. I believe I bought it w/ EAP and then later added on FSD for $2k. I know I had to get a new computer when I did the FSD (or soon after).

I was thinking I might call around and see if someone else is giving out different answers or better answers. Seems like the program is changing daily.

Shame, too, because I would have bought an inventory Y that night.
Like @golferguy, my 2/2018 LR RWD (delivered with EAP) with FSD $2K later added is eligible. I filled out the trade-in request form, and literally within 10 seconds a local Tesla salesguy called me. Before checking with someone, he said it was dependent on date AND hardware (though those might tie back to the same thing). Note mine was one of the first 5000 M3's shipped, so not sure if the date is earlier or later than something. We did have HW2.5 upgraded to HW3, to get the FSD beta - did everyone here upgrade? I would think yes, if you bought/upgrade FSD, but some people may not have such an urge to use the beta.

Main things holding me back - salesguy checked but no one knew what the older car is left with, if you do the transfer option. He suspected basic AP, though he acknowledged it wasn't shipping on delivery back then - but no one could really say. Also, if I consider the trade-in option, the Tesla trade-in value wasn't too bad, but I did notice the offer stated I had 28K kilometers (they pulled from the VIN in my account), whereas I actually have 28K miles - not a huge difference, but wondering if they would revise if they're calculating the wrong mileage.

Like @golferguy, my 2/2018 LR RWD (delivered with EAP) with FSD $2K later added is eligible. I filled out the trade-in request form, and literally within 10 seconds a local Tesla salesguy called me. Before checking with someone, he said it was dependent on date AND hardware (though those might tie back to the same thing). Note mine was one of the first 5000 M3's shipped, so not sure if the date is earlier or later than something. We did have HW2.5 upgraded to HW3, to get the FSD beta - did everyone here upgrade? I would think yes, if you bought/upgrade FSD, but some people may not have such an urge to use the beta.

Main things holding me back - salesguy checked but no one knew what the older car is left with, if you do the transfer option. He suspected basic AP, though he acknowledged it wasn't shipping on delivery back then - but no one could really say. Also, if I consider the trade-in option, the Tesla trade-in value wasn't too bad, but I did notice the offer stated I had 28K kilometers (they pulled from the VIN in my account), whereas I actually have 28K miles - not a huge difference, but wondering if they would revise if they're calculating the wrong mileage.
I get a text back today confirming that the new vehicle that receives the FSD transfer, keeps FSD for future sale or trade to any dealer.
My last holdback solved.

Now to decide color and get the car.

I get a text back today confirming that the new vehicle that receives the FSD transfer, keeps FSD for future sale or trade to any dealer.
My last holdback solved.

Now to decide color and get the car.
I would still read the terms and conditions. Would not surprise me if the Tesla rep was mis-informed - this is a pretty common occurrence.

Good luck getting that M3 variant you wanted for FSD transfer If it’s not in stock.

Currently still a fair # of Model 3s in inventory.... Those will fill the gap during the factory downtime.

Though honestly I expected they'd go at least a couple more weeks before doing this to avoid delivering any refresh models at all during the transfer offer window... possible that'll still be the case of course depending how quickly the refit and production tests/ramp go.

What's interesting is they appear to have shut down the WHOLE factory, not just Model 3.... good thing Texas is still making Ys given the higher sales/demand and lower inventory on em.

Reactions: Buckminster
So I wonder if it is possible to sell my car's FSD capability at a reduced price to someone buying a new Tesla? That seems to be the only way to retrieve the money I spent four years ago for a function that remains a distant prospect in France.. Or I could put the money earned from the sale towards FSD for a new car if I decided it was worth it, effectively transferring my current FSD to a new car..

So I wonder if it is possible to sell my car's FSD capability at a reduced price to someone buying a new Tesla? That seems to be the only way to retrieve the money I spent four years ago for a function that remains a distant prospect in France.. Or I could put the money earned from the sale towards FSD for a new car if I decided it was worth it, effectively transferring my current FSD to a new car..
That’s probably a hard no, I imagine that Tesla is going to allow FSD transfer for a new buyer FROM an auto registered to the owner TO a new auto registered to the same owner. YMMV, but with all the caveat language in there about yanking it IF one tries to cheat them, etc. it’s probably well below the risk reward level acceptable.

My plan at this point is most likely to try and just KEEP the 2018 M3 with full FSD that I have, and maybe buy something new if the upgrades to highland are worth it. IF EM ever gets to FSD being a reality, and robotaxis, the market price for these teslas should pop at least about 10K or more IMHO.

Reactions: Cogarch
You would have to sell your car to the person that wanted FSD, and then buy it back after FSD was transferred. But as @tivoboy said that would likely run afoul of their good faith condition and result in neither car having FSD once Tesla was done with everything.

Reactions: Cogarch
That’s probably a hard no, I imagine that Tesla is going to allow FSD transfer for a new buyer FROM an auto registered to the owner TO a new auto registered to the same owner. YMMV, but with all the caveat language in there about yanking it IF one tries to cheat them, etc. it’s probably well below the risk reward level acceptable.

My plan at this point is most likely to try and just KEEP the 2018 M3 with full FSD that I have, and maybe buy something new if the upgrades to highland are worth it. IF EM ever gets to FSD being a reality, and robotaxis, the market price for these teslas should pop at least about 10K or more IMHO.
Only thing is if complete FSD requires HW4, the software on your 2018 M3 won't be worth as much. Even if FSD does work with HW3, your older car simply won't have as much lifetime left to utilize the software. The newer the car is, the more valuable the FSD that comes with the car is.

Reactions: dvssolid
The best deal here is for people is for people to upgrade to a HW4 MY.

Not something I’m jumping at to do. But it would probably be a setup up from my M3 LR AWD FSD.

Moving to a new M3 is kind of a waste.

Otherwise it’s only a handful of MX and MS people than can benefit here.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Only thing is if complete FSD requires HW4, the software on your 2018 M3 won't be worth as much. Even if FSD does work with HW3, your older car simply won't have as much lifetime left to utilize the software. The newer the car is, the more valuable the FSD that comes with the car is.
If complete FSD requires HW4, I think Tesla is going to have a bigger problem on their hands vis a vis the 15K Ppl have paid for FSD. They would most likely have to give ppl FSD on a future car, or give ppl some $$ back on their purchase. TWT

If complete FSD requires HW4, I think Tesla is going to have a bigger problem on their hands vis a vis the 15K Ppl have paid for FSD. They would most likely have to give ppl FSD on a future car, or give ppl some $$ back on their purchase. TWT

Time will tell but it's clear that HW3 isn't as capable as HW4 and therefore FSD on HW3 will be a downgrade from HW4 in one way or another.

Well, only those who bought before ~march 2019 were ever promised more than L2 when they bought, so legally they could probably get away with giving those folks nothing at all (though offering a similar "free transfer" would be a nice goodwill gesture.

It's the ~Oct 2016 to ~March 2019 buyers they'd be on the hook to compensate in some way, which will be a relatively small # of owners by the time they admit they can't do it on HW3 (even smaller if people jump on this trade in offer, which I'm sure is part of their reason for offering it)

Anyone know if the current MY with HW4 "appears" to have panels that "seem" they could support the additional camera inputs on the HW4 computer or have we pretty much reversed ourselves that all the additional cameras are only there for CT?

Anyone know if the current MY with HW4 "appears" to have panels that "seem" they could support the additional camera inputs on the HW4 computer or have we pretty much reversed ourselves that all the additional cameras are only there for CT?
The HW4 computer in the Model Y doesn't even have the ports for extra cameras. I think the extra ports on the S&X HW4 computer are more for the Semi, not even the Cybertruck. (Though the Cybertruck will probably have at least one additional camera in the front bumper.)

The HW4 computer in the Model Y doesn't even have the ports for extra cameras. I think the extra ports on the S&X HW4 computer are more for the Semi, not even the Cybertruck. (Though the Cybertruck will probably have at least one additional camera in the front bumper.)

Really the Y vs S/X have different HW4 computers that odd. Different MCU makes sense but the camera module just seems like an off choice.