Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know - concerning the swap? I have 2 tesla with FSD that I may want to swap for new one but I want LFP battery, HW4

#1 which model has LFP battery

#2 I know model Y has HW4 but what about model 3 - does it already have HW4?

#3 Does FSD swap only qualify if you bought FSD at the time of purchase or does FSD purchased after car was delivered count?

#4 Can you order before end of Q3/2023 or do you need to take delivery before end of Q3

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Does anyone know - concerning the swap? I have 2 tesla with FSD that I may want to swap for new one but I want LFP battery, HW4

#1 which model has LFP battery

#2 I know model Y has HW4 but what about model 3 - does it already have HW4?

#3 Does FSD swap only qualify if you bought FSD at the time of purchase or does FSD purchased after car was delivered count?

#4 Can you order before end of Q3/2023 or do you need to take delivery before end of Q3
#2, I don’t think Model 3 has HW4 and wont till Highland..
#4, from EM comments, I think it’s ORDER and not delivery. More detail should follow, I think it came out on a whim and Tesla will need to catch up.

#2, I don’t think Model 3 has HW4 and wont till Highland..
#4, from EM comments, I think it’s ORDER and not delivery. More detail should follow, I think it came out on a whim and Tesla will need to catch up.

That's what Elon said, Order before end of Q3 but it seems now they want delivery before end of Q3 according to this articl.e

Dang it , I really want HW 4 + model 3.

what's fantastic is also you won't have to sell your call or even trade it in. they will just transfer your FSD license to the new car and remove it from your old one.

That's what Elon said, Order before end of Q3 but it seems now they want delivery before end of Q3 according to this articl.e

Dang it , I really want HW 4 + model 3.

what's fantastic is also you won't have to sell your call or even trade it in. they will just transfer your FSD license to the new car and remove it from your old one.
If you wait until the last day of October to order you will maximise your chances.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
I did a trade in assessment (lowball, shocker) on Tesla’s website and they immediately emailed, texted and called me. Jesus. Anyway the guy on the phone said that I can sell the car privately and still transfer FSD.

I really hate Tesla and had no intention of purchasing another but between this transfer, the tax credit, the state credit, and the value of my current car it might pencil out financially until my Volvo arrives next year.

I just got off the phone with Tesla.

I am in the process of trading in my FSD Model Y for a New model X.

1. You can do this with a trade in via Tesla where they do it at the time of delivery or....
2. If you take delivery of any new Tesla in Q3, you can move an existing FSD license to it during Q3. There is some paperwork and a process but you DO NOT have to trade in the car to Tesla to get the benefit.

So You could buy an abused older car with FSD and utilize it to transfer the license to the new vehicle...then sell it to someone else.

Q3 requirement means probably most folks are getting the last of the "old" model 3 (if going 3 to 3)

And they're giving you a 2nd class version of FSD that won't be resellable when you get rid of the new car like the existing version otherwise is.

Same bit they pulled with free unlimited supercharger pre/post 2017 where it used to be life of the vehicle, then they created a lesser version that was just "life of original vehicle ownership"

Q3 requirement means probably most folks are getting the last of the "old" model 3 (if going 3 to 3)

And they're giving you a 2nd class version of FSD that won't be resellable when you get rid of the new car like the existing version otherwise is.

Same bit they pulled with free unlimited supercharger pre/post 2017 where it used to be life of the vehicle, then they created a lesser version that was just "life of original vehicle ownership"
If buy a new car and transfer my existing FSD to that new car, it doesn’t follow the new car when I sell it at a later date?

If buy a new car and transfer my existing FSD to that new car, it doesn’t follow the new car when I sell it at a later date?

Correct. Dirty Tesla explicitly asked his sales advisor about this and got that response:
Unfortunately for me, that provision is somewhat of a poison pill for this deal. Trading transferrable FSD (that stays with the car in private sales and can theoretically add to the resale value), for non-transferable FSD (that disappears when you sell it to anyone).

Correct. Dirty Tesla explicitly asked his sales advisor about this and got that response:
Unfortunately for me, that provision is somewhat of a poison pill for this deal. Trading transferrable FSD (that stays with the car in private sales and can theoretically add to the resale value), for non-transferable FSD (that disappears when you sell it to anyone).

Oh, in that case I’m out and I’ll cancel my test drive appointment. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Buckminster
Yup... summary of reasons this is a no for me (a couple are more specific to my situation, a couple are pretty generic

1) With a Sept 30 deadline I'm almost certainly getting an "old" pre-refresh car.... which isn't massively better than the one I have now. In some ways it's wortse (no power pass lumbar, no center console data ports, no homelink, no old-radar and no ultrasonic sensors either)... though on the upside it'll have a Ryzen MCU and a heat pump. It'll also have a power trunk but that's half good half bad as it's a thing to fail in the future.

2) I'll have to spend another $6000 for the PPF and accel boost my current car has the new one won't (that's the specific to me thing though, but I imagine is true for others too).... SPEAKING OF THAT- I likely am trading my nice P-capable 980 rear motor for a lesser one I can never use a ghost upgrade in.

3) There's no incentive to "upgrade" to a P because I'd be forced into 20" wheels I really don't want, it's a $6000 upcharge... if they still were offering the P3D- with 18s for only 2k more I'd be FAR more likely to consider this since it knocks out the objection in 2 for accel boost cost and even knocks out a chunk of 1 since I'd be getting noticeable performance bump.

4) The inability to sell the new car with FSD in the future, thus in theory another cost of thousands to me in the future, though arguably offset at least some by the newer model year/newer warranty

So including the stuff in 2 it'd be around $20,000 net out of pocket to.... get mostly the same car overall but a new warranty.

Now, if they'd let me transfer FSD to a HW4 P3D- Highland car for that net cost I'd be a lot more tempted....but that's not the deal on offer it seems.

Heard from the sales guy and he said the following. Take it with a block of salt, of course.

IMG_5135.jpeg

This is like the Tesla bingo card blackout.

-The first time anyone at the organization heard of this program was when the chief twit blurted it out off the cuff.
-Nobody knows what the hell is going on.
-Verbiage written in a manner that is so vague as to prevent any legal engagement.
-Free space
-Pisses off half the owners, excites the others, then pisses off those who were formally excited.
-When seeking clarification, nobody in the organization has a consistent answer.

Must be run by Tesla Service.