Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Experience Today (Does it ignore elevation?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I'm a proud new owner of a model Y performance as of yesterday. It's a lot more fun than my previous standard model 3. I had an experience using FSD that really scared me, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I was exiting one freeway and went under a bridge exiting into a cloverleaf. I took over due to the tight turn and circled around to the top of the bridge I just went under. At that point I was directly over the point I had just driven under, and I activated FSD again. It jerked to the right three times hard like it thought I was under the bridge still moving in the direction 90 degrees to my right. I'm convinced if I hadn't been "firmly holding the wheel" it would have run me right into the concrete barrier. FSD then turned off because I resisted the turn it was trying to make.

I was in the right lane, nobody else around, and no reason for it to turn there other than I was passing over the same place I had passed just before (under the bridge moving in the direction it was trying to turn). It reminded me (in retrospect) of when you are stopped and you navigate and the GPS takes a minute to orient itself and know which direction you are going.

After searching all over the Tesla website I ended up posting on the General Forums (last time I go there). After being dismissed and called a troll and a liar, I thought maybe I could get more mature/serious feedback here. However, they did tell me I could have submitted a bug report, but I wasn't aware of that to do it at the time. I do have a GPS app that helps me track mileage, so I could estimate pretty close on time when it happened.

My goal isn't to complain, but to give feedback to Tesla and help someone else who might experience the same situation. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Are you certain it wasn't just centering itself in the lane (it does so assertively and abruptly)? It does not use the nav maps to decide where to turn the wheel, other than knowing that it wants to change lanes or take an exit - otherwise, it uses the cameras to spot the lanes, center itself, follow a turn, etc. There's no real chance it "thought it was on the overpass and wanted to make a 90 degree turn to go the right direction". Just not how it works.