Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Since v11.4.7.2 is essentially v11.4.7 per road tests and release notes, one would hope for a pending real v11.4.x update. Thought TSLA expected less time to train NNs these days. What the....

It won't be long before the team drops interest in significant HW3 improvements. There needs to be real and significant HW3 improvements in the next few months. It's now or HW3 Junk forever.

Since v11.4.7.2 is essentially v11.4.7 per road tests and release notes, one would hope for a pending real v11.4.x update. Thought TSLA expected less time to train NNs these days. What the....

It won't be long before the team drops interest in significant HW3 improvements. There needs to be real and significant HW3 improvements in the next few months. It's now or HW3 Junk forever.
I’m surprised they didn’t create the software with a large amount of sensors and cameras and then scale back and optimize once it performed as it should.

I guess then they wouldn’t be able to trick people into giving them free money, so it makes sense.

While we would all like to see updates daily/weekly it does seem we are getting a bit impatient with overly high expectations. We get an update and a day later we hate it because it’s not enough and not what we wanted but yell because it’s taking to long. If they had 1 car and 1 hardware version to comply to I’m sure it could be faster but that’s not the case. I haven’t received a map update in my Ford for 8 years but they defined the expectations. If we are in a rush we should expect half efforts and results. I personally would favor an update 3 times per year that had value and content vs complaining about each one and what it’s missing.

Reactions: PACEMD
While we would all like to see updates daily/weekly it does seem we are getting a bit impatient with overly high expectations. We get an update and a day later we hate it because it’s not enough and not what we wanted but yell because it’s taking to long. If they had 1 car and 1 hardware version to comply to I’m sure it could be faster but that’s not the case. I haven’t received a map update in my Ford for 8 years but they defined the expectations. If we are in a rush we should expect half efforts and results. I personally would favor an update 3 times per year that had value and content vs complaining about each one and what it’s missing.
Did you pay ~$5k-$15k for your map updates with an expectation of “later this year” (every year) fulfillment based on verbiage on Ford’s website? Do you think Ford would be completely fine with breaking your wipers via software update? I genuinely can’t think of any car manufacturer as forward and simultaneously backward thinking as Tesla. They’re the ultimate automotive conundrum.

Did you pay ~$5k-$15k for your map updates with an expectation of “later this year” (every year) fulfillment based on verbiage on Ford’s website? Do you think Ford would be completely fine with breaking your wipers via software update? I genuinely can’t think of any car manufacturer as forward and simultaneously backward thinking as Tesla. They’re the ultimate automotive conundrum.
Not 5-15 but 3500 for Nav as I recall. Yeah I get the “but they said later this year” pitch but truth be told this is one Monster of a solution to solve. They certainly assumed they would have it done by now with a think tank of the greatest minds but unfortunately not. I personally am impressed with how far they have gotten and they are showing no signs of just giving up so I’m good with that. As for wipers, I have had no issues granted on the rare occurrence that it happened in the past I would take that as a simple sign that there is Something blurring the cars eyes and make a simple effort to thoroughly clean and polish in front of the camera eyes. Never happened again. I do agree though while I appreciate the X EM comments and odd update statements it would be best if they just said Nothing Ever and we just received a surprise update randomly with minimal expectations. To many see those random “thinking out loud” X (Twitter) statements as Promises and Guarantees to grind on for an eternity.

Woohoo! I'm out of detention!

View attachment 978469
As part of the celebration, you should update your signature to show what version you're really on :)

Anyway it's good to know they're resetting the strikes. I presently have two, from the same location where I think the strike algorithm is faulty.

Anyone else been getting the camera visibility message late at night on dark roads? It’s a super annoying issue because it oscillates in and off constantly. It seems that between this and the godawful autowipers on 11.4.7 they may be having some sort of deeper visibility issue.

Got 11.4.7.2 last night. It's been a long time since I won the early push lottery. For the most part, it drove similarly to 11.4.7, though I did not experience any of the errant left turnout lane changes that have plagued 11.4.x. Possibly just too soon to tell on that. I found a road north of Commerce, TX that is a torture track for left turnouts. I'll have to go up there soon and give it a stress test.

It drove brilliantly on a busy US75 in PLano and Richardson, TX. It was fearless changing lanes to get around slower traffic, getting into the exit lanes perfectly every time. When FSDb has a good day, it's truly sublime. Today was one of those for me.

One bad thing I noticed was a tendency to hesitate on a secondary road when it approaches a car sitting a left turnout lane. There's little risk, but the car tends to slow a bit unnecessarily. I don't recall this on 11.4.7.

No wiper issues. But, wipers have always worked well on my Teslas.

For several FSDb releases now both of our cars have had trouble at a particular right-turn lane going west on Paseo del Norte to north on Wyoming here in Albuquerque.

The troublesome place is one where the authorities lengthened a too-short exit lane on the cheap by just redefining the existing shoulder as (narrow) turn lane 400 feet before the pavement widens for the "real" turn lane.

The troublesome behavior has been that the car would get into the proper ((although narrow) turn lane OK, but would abruptly twitch left by quite a bit (estimate half a lane) about where a big bush was in the tree lawn. If I was in traffic, I'd use steering wheel override. If no traffic, the car would throw me a "take control immediately" alert, complete with a loud tune and the red steering wheel of death, with a text message something on the order of ....aborted because of system error.

The improved behavior I observed today on first trial of this location with 11.4.7.2 was that there was no steering twitch at all. But I still got the tone alert, red steering wheel, and system abort symptoms.

I'm attempting to insert a screen capture of the location taken from Google Earth.

PDN_to_Wy_0.jpg

That so called update was merely a merge of two already released builds. For FSD there's no change. V11.4.7 was initially rolled out about 5 weeks ago. And again, NN training doesn't seem to be any quicker these days which is contrary to what TSLA promised maybe a year or more ago when we were told performance would improve and turn around time would be shorter.

HW3's biologic clock is ticking and the old gal doesn't look fertile.

My car got FSDb 11.4.7.2 last night. (It updated the navigation map update last night as well.)

I've only take a short drive so far, and it seems about the same, other than it nags way more often. (And I always have my hand on the wheel.) It even nagged me while we were stopped waiting for a turn while it was twitching the wheel back and forth...

Anyone else been getting the camera visibility message late at night on dark roads? It’s a super annoying issue because it oscillates in and off constantly. It seems that between this and the godawful autowipers on 11.4.7 they may be having some sort of deeper visibility issue.
Yes - I think what happens is when it's totally dark the computer can't see anything and things the camera is occluded

As part of the celebration, you should update your signature to show what version you're really on :)

Anyway it's good to know they're resetting the strikes. I presently have two, from the same location where I think the strike algorithm is faulty.
oops! 😬

yes, the strike algorithm is definitely faulty. most of my strikes have been without warning and unprovoked.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
The problem is that it’s those two combined. It’s pretty much 3 times per year and has half errors and half results 😂😂

It happens whenever the cameras (usually the side looking ones) are looking at a dark area, usually in rural locations. It's been happening for a long time. Had it on 11.3.6 last week.

Another interesting thing with 11.4.7.2. When my car upgraded, it put up the data sharing screen giving me options to share, or not share, data with Tesla. Previously, FSDb access required data sharing. So, perhaps Tesla feels like there are enough users that they need not coerce people into sharing data.

Reactions: FSDtester#1