Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep coming back here for any new information..........looks like more of the same? You would think some kind of roadmap for us would come from above? Last Christmas now, i opted to get my MCU updated as I sort of thought at the time that the car would HAVE to have MCU2 to even work as FSD intended. Many here in this forum told me I was wrong about that, and that FSD would indeed work with MCU1.........starting to feel better about that bet now. However, this camera thing just seems to be another item in the line of getting FSD delivered to the people who paid for it back in the early days.....

I literally just got home from the camera retrofit for my model x. I’ve had a 99 safety score for at least a month now and this is hopefully the final upgrade needed. Any word on when I can expect the FSD beta download? They didn’t install it at the service center and gave me no answer via the app.

You must be new here...

Yes. Just signed up.
Another thing, I’m not sure how the changed my front facing camera without bumping my mirror or moving my easy pass. 🤔

The down-low is nobody actually knows. Nobody that has been upgraded cameras has received FSD Beta and Tesla is not communicating any guidelines or dates to anyone. Many people still haven't even gotten the invite to upgrade cameras.

Welcome to TMC. This forum is an amazing resource.

The down-low is nobody actually knows. Nobody that has been upgraded cameras has received FSD Beta and Tesla is not communicating any guidelines or dates to anyone. Many people still haven't even gotten the invite to upgrade cameras.

Welcome to TMC. This forum is an amazing resource.
Thanks for welcoming me! I have used this forum many times for information in the past and finally figured it’s time to sign up. Had my model x100d for five years now. Just can’t wait to try FSD.

Also, thanks for the details. That’s pretty much what I have gathered from previous posts. I put a few emails and another service request out there to Tesla. Hopefully they give me an acceptable response. Guess it’s just a waiting game now.

Thanks for welcoming me! I have used this forum many times for information in the past and finally figured it’s time to sign up. Had my model x100d for five years now. Just can’t wait to try FSD.

Also, thanks for the details. That’s pretty much what I have gathered from previous posts. I put a few emails and another service request out there to Tesla. Hopefully they give me an acceptable response. Guess it’s just a waiting game now.
If you use Twitter even a little, go in and retweet some of the many tweets copied to this thread or start your own. Musk ignores this website but he does have some regular buddies on Twitter and if you scan back through this thread you will see it may have helped re cameras as his response to a tweet seemingly led to the cameras invites. Now we need more pressure to increase the camera invites and to get those of us with new cameras invited to the FSD Beta. (BTW, I seldom ever use Twitter except to tweet and retweet re this issue so you need not be a regular Twitter user.)

Reactions: Cheburashka
Great a
If you use Twitter even a little, go in and retweet some of the many tweets copied to this thread or start your own. Musk ignores this website but he does have some regular buddies on Twitter and if you scan back through this thread you will see it may have helped re cameras as his response to a tweet seemingly led to the cameras invites. Now we need more pressure to increase the camera invites and to get those of us with new cameras invited to the FSD Beta. (BTW, I seldom ever use Twitter except to tweet and retweet re this issue so you need not be a regular Twitter user

If you use Twitter even a little, go in and retweet some of the many tweets copied to this thread or start your own. Musk ignores this website but he does have some regular buddies on Twitter and if you scan back through this thread you will see it may have helped re cameras as his response to a tweet seemingly led to the cameras invites. Now we need more pressure to increase the camera invites and to get those of us with new cameras invited to the FSD Beta. (BTW, I seldom ever use Twitter except to tweet and retweet re this issue so you need not be a regular Twitter user.)
Great advice. I may just have to sign up and do that now. Thanks.

The wiki idea was fantastic for this thread. Now that I finally received the part #s they ordered for our car I checked in post 1 & confirmed that our estimate shows the correct part numbers for all cameras, including the triple camera. Our appointment that was originally scheduled for tomorrow is now scheduled for 12/30 due to parts that haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they'll have arrived on time for the 12/30 appointment. I also asked about why they can't do mobile service but that question was not answered, they just repeated that the camera upgrade must be done at the Service Center. Hopefully by 12/30 there will also be a process for us to get FSD Beta after getting new cameras.

I'm still 99% sure the "autopilotcameratype" gateway config is the gating item for fsd beta access currently
As in if it's set to 2 (cfg_autopilotcameratype":"RCCB_CAMERAS"), potentially the vehicle could get recognized as eligible for FSD Beta inclusion with the caveat of "locking up bug" of Autopilot/GPS not working with non-FSD-Beta software? How difficult and "bad" for daily driving would this be for somebody to test out (assuming FSD Beta acceptance won't normally happen "soon")? I guess it doesn't help that FSD Beta additions haven't happened since Dec 2nd.

At this point I would settle for knowing that the camera upgrade and a couple lines of code is all it takes to make 2016/2017 cars fully compatible with FSD beta. I have a nagging feeling that there's some other big software/HW bug that makes it more difficult to achieve compatibility than what was originally thought

So what you are saying is that Tesla needs to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 to support FSD?
Yes. I think they're essentially running out the clock at this point and hoping as many people as possible jump voluntarily.

MCU1 struggles to even calculate navigation directions these days. I just don't see them going through the effort of releasing a gimped version for MCU1 cars. I guess we shall see.

I just want to share my experience with swapping all the AP cameras in my February built 2017 Model S.

If interested, I documented all the install process here.

• I bought all the Autopilot cameras (except for the rearview camera) from a salvaged Raven Performance Model S on April 6th 2020.
  • I did the install on September 2020 and the specs of my car at the time were: 2017 Feb built Model S with MCU1 and full AP2.0 hardware (computer and cameras).
  • The actual parts that came off the Raven and that were installed at the time were: (some of these parts have currently changed, more on this below).
1125106-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)​
1125107-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)​
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3​
1069104-00-D - MS,B PLR,CAM ASSY​
  • When I finished the full camera swap (except for the rearview camera), I scheduled an appointment at my local Service Center, in order to have the MCU2 upgrade alongside the FSD computer install ( the car had all the cameras updated with no errors thrown by the car). I also did the radio tuner upgrade myself with parts from eBay in order to save the $500 bucks Tesla wanted, but that's another story!
  • I personally wanted to experiment and document if the AP camera type line of code in my Model S' gateway.config file really needed to be changed alongside the hardware. Was the hardware swap enough or did the car require the software modification as well? I wanted to find out if the AP2.0 computer actually behaved any different after the camera swap, and then find out if it behaved differently after the MCU and FSD computer upgrade, without changing any software line of code.
  • So I drove a little over 200 miles on AP with the new cameras and the old MCU1 and AP2.0 computer to set the baseline and then drove the exact same route a few days later, with the new MCU2 and FSD computer. Both tests were carried out with the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file set to value 1, aka: (RCCC_CAMERAS):
{
"description":"Type of autopilot camera installed",
"content":{
"enums":[
{
"codeKey":"UNKNOWN",
"description":"",
"value":"0"
},
{
"codeKey":"RCCC_CAMERAS",
"description":"RCCC Cameras for vehicles built with DAS HW2.0 only",
"value":"1"
},
{
"codeKey":"RCCB_CAMERAS",
"description":"RCCB Cameras",
"value":"2"
}
]
},
"accessId":"autopilotCameraType",
"codeKey":"autopilotCameraType",
"products":[
"ModelS/X"
]

As you can see in the image below:
View attachment 727622
  • My tests determined that the change in the gateway.config file was not actually needed in order for any of the two AP computers to do their job. I wasn't able to notice any tangible difference on both drives.
  • After a few months of AP driving on this configuration, on January 2021, I noticed Tesla listed 2 new side repeaters on its Parts Catalog (which as of this writing, they are still the latest and greatest side repeater cameras for the Oct 2016 to Jan 2021 Model S and X vehicles):
1642010-00-A - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)​
1642011-00-A - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)​
  • So I decided I was going to once again swap my side repeaters for the new ones. I placed an order for both at my local Service Center and gave them a shot. Considering I was changing my side repeater cameras again, I decided that this time I was going to change the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file now to value 2, aka: (RCCB_CAMERAS), and so I did.
  • Once again, I drove the same route, but wasn't able to notice any difference on the image quality or any change on the AP behavior.
  • My conclusions, at that time, were that there was no tangible differences in the AP driving characteristics when changing the software camera type line of code on the vehicle's Gateway... that was until Elon's tweet regarding the cameras and FSD Beta 😒.
  • I don't work at Tesla and have no way of knowing for a fact anything related to my suspicions, but I believe (as many others have stated here in this thread), that probably Tesla is training it's NN with RCCB images, considering they are the vast majority of camera feeds they receive from the fleet, since all Model 3's and Model Y's, as well as all Model S' and Model X's built from August 2017 onwards are equipped with RCCB cameras.
  • I also personally believe that [eventually] Tesla is going to install this exact part numbers on our AP2.0 factory built vehicles, as these part numbers have not changed at all in a while and all the Palladium S and X's and all 3's and Y's have different size and trim color cameras, (they are chrome deleted).
1642010-00-A- MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)
1642011-00-A - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)​
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3​
  • Regarding the FSD software on my Model S, (considering I have a Feb 2017 Model S with the full camera swap and the RCCB software tag enabled in it's Gateway), unfortunately I didn't hit the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button when my car got the 2021.32.22 firmware update, as I thought the Beta Score® thing was a plain ridiculous joke on us early adopters that were promised, and payed for, FSD since October 2016, so my Model S is currently on the 2021.36.5.5 software branch with all of us that didn't request the FSD Beta and/or declined to play Elon's games on software and features we payed for literally years ago.
  • Sorry for my long post, but just wanted to share my 2 cents on the matter.

Hey Art, what software are you using to change the gateway.config? Do you have a copy of toolbox or is it another Software.

My retrofit is now scheduled for first wk of January, after they told me Mobile Service couldn't do it, then the parts would take a while to come in. Here's my updated parts list per the latest estimate. The triple cam "C" part is still there (I spoke with an advisor to verify whether this was the correct part and referenced the "B" part number others are getting here, but he said I have all the right parts on order.). There's also a monocam reflash that I have no idea about.

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
QTY 1.00
(1034345-99-A)

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - LH (Remove and Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
LAMP ASY, SIDER EPEATER (LH)
(1034344-99-A)
QTY 1.00

Correction: Camera - Triple - Forward Facing (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
MONOCAM, REFLASHED
(1038482-99-H)
QTY 1.00

INLINE TRIPLE CAMERA
(1089531-00-C)
QTY 1.00

10MM, 0.5 X M3,MACHINE SCREW
(1011417-00-B)

Correction: 'B' Post Trim Panel - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,LH ASSY
(1092306-S0-D)
QTY 1.00

Correction: Trim - 'B' Post - Upper - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,RH ASSY
(1092307-00-G)
QTY 1.00

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I was also told that the camera upgrade cannot be done by mobile service. They pushed my appointment back from tomorrow to 12/30. They have all the cameras but not the triple camera. They have no ETA for the triple camera here at the Maplewood, MN Service Center.
Interesting. As I posted a bit over a week ago, one of my neighbor friends got an invite via the app and when he went in to acknowledge the upgrade, he was scheduled for last Monday (3 days after he indicated he wanted the update). I went over to his house to watch (off and on) them doing it in the driveway by mobile tech. It seemed to take about 2 hours but that was including some time to occasionally warm up... it was 30 degrees outside. So far, he had not gotten the FSD software though.

My retrofit is now scheduled for first wk of January, after they told me Mobile Service couldn't do it, then the parts would take a while to come in. Here's my updated parts list per the latest estimate. The triple cam "C" part is still there (I spoke with an advisor to verify whether this was the correct part and referenced the "B" part number others are getting here, but he said I have all the right parts on order.). There's also a monocam reflash that I have no idea about.

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
QTY 1.00
(1034345-99-A)

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - LH (Remove and Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
LAMP ASY, SIDER EPEATER (LH)
(1034344-99-A)
QTY 1.00

Correction: Camera - Triple - Forward Facing (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
MONOCAM, REFLASHED
(1038482-99-H)
QTY 1.00

INLINE TRIPLE CAMERA
(1089531-00-C)
QTY 1.00

10MM, 0.5 X M3,MACHINE SCREW
(1011417-00-B)

Correction: 'B' Post Trim Panel - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,LH ASSY
(1092306-S0-D)
QTY 1.00

Correction: Trim - 'B' Post - Upper - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,RH ASSY
(1092307-00-G)
QTY 1.00
MONOCAM, REFLASHED
(1038482-99-H) is the old AP 1 single cam… why is that on there? Also, yes 1089531-00-C is the wrong triple cam, should be 1120520-00-B

MONOCAM, REFLASHED
(1038482-99-H) is the old AP 1 single cam… why is that on there? Also, yes 1089531-00-C is the wrong triple cam, should be 1120520-00-B
I didn't get to ask about the monocam, but when I brought up the triple cam "B" vs "C" cam discrepancy, he brushed it off as "you can't believe everything you read online" and "we're doing it based on the bulletin"

I guess we'll just see what happens when this gets done in a few weeks. If it turns out to be the right parts, then great. If it's wrong, it'll be their problem to fix lol

when I brought up the triple cam "B" vs "C" cam discrepancy, he brushed it off as "you can't believe everything you read online" and "we're doing it based on the bulletin"
I guess I would have said you can't believe everything you hear at the service center either :eek: I hope it all goes well for you.

I didn't get to ask about the monocam, but when I brought up the triple cam "B" vs "C" cam discrepancy, he brushed it off as "you can't believe everything you read online" and "we're doing it based on the bulletin"

I guess we'll just see what happens when this gets done in a few weeks. If it turns out to be the right parts, then great. If it's wrong, it'll be their problem to fix lol
You should probably tell him that a camera bulletin only exists in the first place because of all the people online.

And I would also ask him to go check with some techs at other SCs who have already done the upgrade about the C vs B thing. You almost certainly need B parts.

Impressive work by that owner but hopefully he/she didn’t pay much for the now useless upgraded radar hardware:cool: I am a little puzzled though. How would one possibly convert a AP1 car to an AP2+ car? People have inquired about that possibility for several years. Typical of me to be skeptical but this sounds like a joke.
Not sure if they ever made a public post about it, but... it involved custom CAN bus harnesses, custom wire looms for the new cameras, a custom radar mount, replacing the EPAS steering rack, cutting holes for the b pillar cameras and more.. definitely not an easy mod ;)

Here's a photo showing the new b pillar holes...

AP2.5retro.jpeg