Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that makes sense after a fashion... but why May?? That in itself doesn't make sense if the registration was done at the time of delivery. Are registrations done in California done in odd month intervals? Even if he has a founder's series, it still would only make sense if the vehicle was actually registered in May or shortly there after.

I guess that makes sense after a fashion... but why May?? That in itself doesn't make sense if the registration was done at the time of delivery. Are registrations done in California done in odd month intervals? Even if he has a founder's series, it still would only make sense if the vehicle was actually registered in May or shortly there after.

It has to do with the fact that he has a vanity plate. The registration is for the plate, not the vehicle.

P.J.

Has anyone had further experience with alternative front license plate positions? Any owners try the Skene holder or is the zip tie method the best so far? Any cooling issues? I appreciate the help. I think I'll be asking Tesla not to install the front bracket, so if I need to order something I should do it sooner than later.

Has anyone had further experience with alternative front license plate positions? Any owners try the Skene holder or is the zip tie method the best so far? Any cooling issues? I appreciate the help. I think I'll be asking Tesla not to install the front bracket, so if I need to order something I should do it sooner than later.
I have the Skene bracket but never installed it since I love the placement of my zip-tie factory bracket. Officially they said that might affect cooling but I haven't noticed any problems.

I have the Skene bracket but never installed it since I love the placement of my zip-tie factory bracket. Officially they said that might affect cooling but I haven't noticed any problems.

It also isn't summer here yet. I'm just leaving the front plate off until told otherwise. I have it, it just isn't mounted. (... and since the Texas legislators did their little mess-up, no front plate is required this year.)

I have the Skene front plate mount but no car as of yet. I think that since it is able to be raised or lowered then one can position it pretty much where they see fit, and this seems much better than the retractable deal that will get hit on every driveway you ramp up onto.

I plan on covering it with a rounded plate cover. I realize this is illegal technically, but it will improve aerodynamics and is certainly better than not having a front plate at all in the eyes of the law. Not sure how aggressive meter maids are with the plate covers vs the absence of a plate though.

Once I get my car I can take and post shots but it will be a while, I'm P912 with a 60 kWh battery option.

So if anyone else gets the Skene mounted before me, please post some photos for all to see.

Cheers.

I wrote to my State Senator about the need for a front licence plate on EVs in Virginia. There is an active motion in VA to remove the front license plate requirement for all non-comercial vehicles. It was continued into 2013 pending investigation by the transportation committee into objections from law enforcement and VDOT. If you live in Virginia, write your state legislators (especially if they are on the transportation committee) - you can find out who they are at the following web address Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly - Who's My Legislator? Service.

See email from the State Senator Favola and the link to the legislation below:

Date: November 9, 2012, 3:17:54 PM EST
To:
Subject: Re: Laws requiring front licence plates for electric vehicles
Dear Mr. Gxxxxxx
Thank you for contacting me and sharing your concerns about the display of a single plate on electric vehicles. A bill, SB 27, was introduced last year in the Senate during the 2012 General Assembly Session, that would have eliminated the requirement to display license plates on the front of motor vehicles (other than tractor trucks). Here is the link to the bill patroned by Senator Locke Bill Tracking - 2012 session > Legislation . If you click on the history button on the top right corner, you will see that the bill was continued to 2013 in the Transportation Committee and did not reach the Senate floor. I voted in favor of that motion in order for the patron and committee to evaluate the objections made by law enforcement and VDOT.

Please contact me if my office can be of any assistance in the future.
Sincerely,

Barbara Favola
District 31
Senate of Virginia

A friend used 3M auto body tape to attach is license plate to his Volvo. He trimmed the plate to get ride of extra edge around the license plate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352501241.499414.jpg

I wrote to my State Senator about the need for a front licence plate on EVs in Virginia. There is an active motion in VA to remove the front license plate requirement for all non-comercial vehicles. It was continued into 2013 pending investigation by the transportation committee into objections from law enforcement and VDOT. If you live in Virginia, write your state legislators (especially if they are on the transportation committee) - you can find out who they are at the following web address Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly - Who's My Legislator? Service.

See email from the State Senator Favola and the link to the legislation below:

Date: November 9, 2012, 3:17:54 PM EST
To:
Subject: Re: Laws requiring front licence plates for electric vehicles
Dear Mr. Gxxxxxx
Thank you for contacting me and sharing your concerns about the display of a single plate on electric vehicles. A bill, SB 27, was introduced last year in the Senate during the 2012 General Assembly Session, that would have eliminated the requirement to display license plates on the front of motor vehicles (other than tractor trucks). Here is the link to the bill patroned by Senator Locke Bill Tracking - 2012 session > Legislation . If you click on the history button on the top right corner, you will see that the bill was continued to 2013 in the Transportation Committee and did not reach the Senate floor. I voted in favor of that motion in order for the patron and committee to evaluate the objections made by law enforcement and VDOT.

Please contact me if my office can be of any assistance in the future.
Sincerely,

Barbara Favola
District 31
Senate of Virginia

Just sent a letter to my State Senator. Thanks Dave.

Just out of curiosity, what's the argument for EV's having a front license plate?

While this applies to all vehicles - EVs have a great focus on reducing coefficient of drag to increase efficiency. My arguement is that the front licence plate has a negative impact on the wind resistance and reduces efficiency... The legislation is not about EV - it is for all cars. There is another bill SB-423 that would eliminate the requirement for cars that the manufacture does not provide a bracket for placing the plate on the front of the vehicle.

Just out of curiosity, what's the argument for EV's having a front license plate?

The argument for all cars having front plates (the excuse at least) is that it increases public safety by giving police two places to see your license plate. The reality is it likely serves as a shiny spot for a laser to be aimed and clock your speed.

The argument for all cars having front plates (the excuse at least) is that it increases public safety by giving police two places to see your license plate. The reality is it likely serves as a shiny spot for a laser to be aimed and clock your speed.

I think many of us would like to have no front license plate, frame, or brackets. I have driven without a front plate for decades, without any consequences. There won't be one on my Model S. I hope Virginia eliminates the requirement. Maybe Maryland will follow.

I think many of us would like to have no front license plate, frame, or brackets. I have driven without a front plate for decades, without any consequences. There won't be one on my Model S. I hope Virginia eliminates the requirement. Maybe Maryland will follow.

Me too. I don't mind complying with some kind of front plate requirement but don't know why it has to be the same, large metal plate that is on the back. Some vinyl decal or something would work. I don't think it will ever change down here.