Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont SC only drawing 10A on my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, you called it. They first said that it was the Battery heater that failed. They replaced that and said the car would be done Friday. Then they called and said that they needed to put a loaner battery in while they send mine for repair. A day later, new pack with more range, and it makes a lot less noise in the car and uses less power when I drive as well. I don't expect to see my battery back any time soon either.

Well, revived again:

Car dropped off with battery issue Sept 24, 2015..see previous posts. Got a call on Dec 2, and finally reached out after I got back from my biz trip.

Looks like my original battery is back and ready to go in. I'll pick up on Monday 2/15, and we'll see if it (according to Susan), "run like new".
None the less, I've asked for the service rep to tell me what the failure mode was, and what repair was made. Then I'll decide if I'll let them put it back in my car. I know, not much choice, but I really want to be sure.

Since your first 2 pictures indicate that the car thinks it is doing AC charging
(like at home with a UMC, HPWC, or other EVSE), there has been a failure to
communicate properly on the Pilot Control line from the Supercharger to
the car.

Normally, the Pilot is a -12v to +12v square wave signal which is used
to communicate a maximum charging rate (AC amps) to the main
charger in the car.

A Supercharger distinguishes itself by indicating a desire for digital
communication by using a 5% duty cycle, which is lower than the
normal minimum of about 10% used in AC charging. Then, the car
begins using the pilot line as a 33.3k bit per second (slow) one-sided
CAN "bus" to converse with the Supercharger.

Usually, the Pilot line goes to the main charger in the car,
and I suspect that it has to recognize the "digital data mode"
request, and begin translating the single-side CAN messages
to "real" CAN messages, that probably get handled by the BMS
computer module in the battery.

Apparently this conversation failed in some way, because the car
did not recognize that it was connected to a Supercharger.

- - - Updated - - -

The Charging Complete message probably means Charging Stopped (for
some reason), not necessarily "filled" (to your selected limit).

The reason was probably that it failed to do any proper charging
for some extended period of time.

Gary,

Interesting idea. I think that's a good thing to ask the SC when I go to do the swap on Monday. I suspect however it was something of a larger issue given the 5+ months wait to get it back. That or there's a huge backlog of battery repairs, shortage of parts, lack of service labor expertise.

We shall see.

Well dropped off the car this morning at Fremont SC, and got a loaner POS Buick Lacrosse. I want to crash this crap car so noone needs to suffer in it again...but i digress..

Battery issue apparently was related to the pack pressure venting control valves. Apparently the one of the valves "stuck" and needed to be "remanufactued" i.e. swapped/repaired. Nothing confirmed wrong with the pack or banks of cells, so back to my lower range battery expected later today.

Will post what my post repair 90% and 100% range charges are later. Honestly, I feel kinda good getting my original battery back

Dropped off the car at 8:30AM for a 10:00AM appointment. Car hasn't moved all day, and is "still in the queue". Will need it overnight.

To swap a battery? WTF? We all know automated, it only takes mere minutes to swap, i can't imagine >30-60minutes to do the swap on a lift then test.

Disappointed to be stuck with a **** ICE buick overnight. I'll be damned if i put a mL of gas in this **** car.

Oops. Please excuse my trashy mouth. How rude of me. All things being equal, she got in and is now at 100% SOC (I bumped it up remotely), and reading a reasonably healthy battery at 250 rated miles. Not so shabby for a car now 64K miles but really just 57k. See her tomorrow morning. Sleeping soundly outside her birthplace.

image.png