Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharger strikes again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my first Model X on 12/31/2016 because free supercharging was ending 1/15/2017. I just placed an order for a second (not needed) Model X because well, free supercharger is ending today. I feel a bit sick with the combined car monthly payments being higher than home mortgage, but supposedly free SC will not be coming back ever, or at least until Tesla needs to drum up more sales. Did anyone else get "suckered" into a second Tesla solely for the free SC? I thought about getting an S instead of a second X, but the X is so much more comfy. I have 3 days to change my mind and wait for the 2020 BMW.

I'm really curious what's the use case that makes free supercharging an important factor. We just got back from a 1000 mile road trip to Las Vegas and back, and spent about 30 dollars on paid supercharging. It would take a lot of trips for supercharging to be a significant cost.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I'm really curious what's the use case that makes free supercharging an important factor. We just got back from a 1000 mile road trip to Las Vegas and back, and spent about 30 dollars on paid supercharging. It would take a lot of trips for supercharging to be a significant cost.

Not really ever an important factor because it's still cheaper than gas.

Reactions: P85_DA
Did Elon or somebody else say that free supercharging isn’t coming back? They’ve done this many times before and it always comes back...

I ordered today because I want the car by the end of the year and didn’t see any reason to wait until tomorrow in case this time is different, but my guess is it comes back again.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Did Elon or somebody else say that free supercharging isn’t coming back? They’ve done this many times before and it always comes back...

I ordered today because I want the car by the end of the year and didn’t see any reason to wait until tomorrow in case this time is different, but my guess is it comes back again.

Actually Elon has never said free supercharging isn't coming back until now. I dont believe they'll have any incentive to bring it back in the future. They need the revenue from paid supercharging to continue expanding the network.

I gave up free supercharging when I went from a 90D to a 100D, which we planned to use mainly for road trips. We went on a 5500 mile road trip and paid $155 for Supercharging (with 400kWh free and a few that charged $0), which Tesla refunded later when they decided to stop charging in early 2017. So maybe $400/year for us if we had to pay for it, and that would be maybe 12k travel miles per year. I think the $2k they charged for a little while for lifetime supercharging was about right. I was happy to give that up, plus $3k if I remember correctly, to move from the 90D to a 100D.

If you're Tesloop it would be a big factor, but I don't think it should be a big part of the purchasing decision.

Elon said it today, also said they should have ended it sooner
Elon Musk on Twitter

• Informative
..."suckered"...

It's a great selling point if you run a company like Loop Taxi with 400,000 miles in 3 years.

(But officially, commercial Teslas are banned from using Supercharger anyhow)

As a non-commercial owner, I have never been influenced by free Supercharger because paying it is still much cheaper than paying gasoline.

Even when Supercharger is free, it's still much more convenient to pay to charge at home anyway.

I'm glad that both of my cars have free supercharging for life. But "free supercharging" is just an extra option, a bonus related to early sales and marketing. If that money will help to grow their infrastructure way faster than it's going on now I'm totally fine with paying for charging when I buy my next car.

I'd prefer to have more SC stations around even if I need to pay for using them. It's a matter of convenience.

As a Tesla investor, I am glad you got suckered into this promotion. As a fellow Tesla owner, I think you are nuts to get suckered into this promotion.

You could've gone with a Model 3 Performance for cheaper and still get unlimited supercharging. The unlimited supercharging really isn't worth that much to most people but maybe you have a special use case for it.

It has happened before and it could happen again (and you already experienced it) - By end of December they bring back free unlimited supercharging as demand lever.

I placed my first Model X on 12/31/2016 because free supercharging was ending 1/15/2017. I just placed an order for a second (not needed) Model X because well, free supercharger is ending today. I feel a bit sick with the combined car monthly payments being higher than home mortgage, but supposedly free SC will not be coming back ever, or at least until Tesla needs to drum up more sales. Did anyone else get "suckered" into a second Tesla solely for the free SC? I thought about getting an S instead of a second X, but the X is so much more comfy. I have 3 days to change my mind and wait for the 2020 BMW.
I generate all my energy with solar now but free supercharging for life is pretty sweet!

Free supercharging is just a nice gimic but really how expensive is a kwh. For me it is 0.18 euro and on the road at most 0.25 euro at tesla supercharger. Yes I do have free charging but really it is not that expensive either.

There even free places like the lidl you can charge for free (chademo) and a lot of others. Also charging at home / slow charger in cities it is not really expensive.

But is does help a little. But forcing me to buy a 100k car no not really. I plan on driving my car every day for 200.000 kilometers it will cost me in 100% supercharging cost: 13500 euros home charging 9900 and around 30000 euro for a ICE car do the math. it save some money I use it mixed if I need a charge I supercharger else I save my time charging at home.

Also charging 100% at a supercharger is a hassel for me. Time is much more important.

The utility is as Elon sold it originally. "Pack a lunch, stay with a friend, leave your wallet at home."

I love that we can just get in the car and roll at a moments notice without adjusting budget categories before or after. (we do YNAB, it's like envelopes but digital, so every dollar gets a job and don't always anticipate putting anything in travel. This becomes a pain when in a rental or similar)

It is so awesome we did 40k+ miles in one year on our Model S.

Reactions: Bogobec
Tesla originally marketed FUSC (lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging) as "Free Long Distance Charging". Under the assumption the superchargers were used only for road trips, with superchargers on major highways between cities, the average annual supercharging cost per vehicle is likely $100 or less - and for vehicles averaging around $100K, not a significant cost to Tesla - or owners. Giving away FUSC was a great marketing gimmick - and something Tesla will likely want to continue providing (with limitation) since the other manufacturers will be relying on 3rd party chargers.

However... Tesla likely didn't anticipate use of superchargers in cities, used by owners without easy access to overnight charging or for commercial operators who are using the superchargers daily. Those users are consuming considerably more than $100 of charge per year, and Musk is right that Tesla should have placed limits on the free supercharging before this.

When we ordered our 2017 S 100D in January last year, it was after Tesla set the first deadline for ending FUSC. We did the math, based on the road trips we've taken with our 2012 S P85, and concluded losing FUSC wasn't a big deal (compared to an S 100D costing around $115K). And when Tesla later made FUSC available for our new S 100D (and the X 100D we bought a few months ago) - it was a bonus, but wouldn't have been a deal breaker...

Financially it makes little difference but psychologically it does. I have just come back from a 6500km trip around Europe and I am not sure I would have considered that as a vacation choice had it not been for free super charging.

I know it makes no sense but the travelling all over Europe for free makes it an attractive option as a vacation choice. It may also affect my choice for my next car or delay when I trade in my existing one even though I know it doesn't have much financial impact