Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found electromagnetic parking sensor system for front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a factory tour today with my friend, as he picked up his gorgeous Signature Performance car. I was able to see a completed front fascia that was not mounted on a car. There's not a lot of metal framework behind the fascia, which is good news. The bad news is that there's tons of wire loom, actuators for the cooling intakes, and so forth behind there.

I think it may be difficult to mount the sensor in the "bumper" area of the front (and if you could, it might be a problem anyway because the license plate will extend up into that area).

The maybe-good news is that the very lowest painted part of the fascia, below the lower grille opening, appears to be a continuous piece all the way across, and there are few or no obstructions back there. I'm not sure whether the sensor would pick up a car in front of you if you mounted it that low, but if so, it seems like the path of least resistance.

One other thing: the black plastic fairings that dress up the borders of the frunk are removable. This gives a fair amount of access to the upper area behind the grille. It's probably not the access you'd need to mount the sensor unless you only wanted to mount in the area of the nose cone, but it should at least give you a vantage point to inspect the back and plan where you will put it.

(No photos allowed in the factory, sorry!)

Here's a shot from the demo chassis they have in the stores. Don't know how much (if any) they've shifted from this in current production, or what other elements are in and around the nose cone. But in this photo, they have styrofoam laminated against a steel formed bar. You can see where the styrofoam stops, and the steel bar extends several inches out beyond that.

No doubt there's more going on behind the nose cone than just this - particularly in how it attaches.
IMG_1250m.jpg

Here's a shot from the demo chassis they have in the stores. Don't know how much (if any) they've shifted from this in current production, or what other elements are in and around the nose cone. But in this photo, they have styrofoam laminated against a steel formed bar. You can see where the styrofoam stops, and the steel bar extends several inches out beyond that.

No doubt there's more going on behind the nose cone than just this - particularly in how it attaches.
View attachment 11111

As long as the sensor strip it at least 3cm (about 1.1 inches) from any metal framework it's ok. Looks like the foam piece alone is way more than that. So I think there won't be any problem. Hopefully someone will do this install long before I get my car and post information on the results.

Anyone done this yet? Euro Teslas apparently now have sensors as an option but no details yet.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also an external strip that can be applied that may work for some.
http://www.proxel.com/en/models/front-parking-sensor/eps-strip-front.html

This is an item that I know Al & Ed's has been looking into, but they are waiting to get the right relationships with a product that the manufacturer will 'back-up' and is financially viable because of the volume that they'll be using. Stuff we don't have to think of as much as individuals, I guess. Hoping that your 'experiment' works so I can pass along the info as I know that they are aware of the company you mentioned in your first post. Of course if I have any updates, you'll know about them :wink:

This is an item that I know Al & Ed's has been looking into, but they are waiting to get the right relationships with a product that the manufacturer will 'back-up' and is financially viable because of the volume that they'll be using. Stuff we don't have to think of as much as individuals, I guess. Hoping that your 'experiment' works so I can pass along the info as I know that they are aware of the company you mentioned in your first post. Of course if I have any updates, you'll know about them :wink:
They probably shouldn't do it - Tesla already announced that parking sensors are coming to the Euro models (and via email I've been told the US models will get them this year).

They probably shouldn't do it - Tesla already announced that parking sensors are coming to the Euro models (and via email I've been told the US models will get them this year).
I saw that but is the hardware already in place waiting to be turned on & at what cost (for USA)? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Since the rear camera works so well, Has anyone considered a camera for the front? Could that interface with the screen?
Kind of there with my Dash-Cam with its streaming live video to a smartphone as noted on this TMC post :eek:

With the HD backup camera, parking sensors are not necessary on the rear of the Model S. But the front is another story, and that's where, without sensors, the bumper is most vulnerable to damage. I should know -- it's where I've scraped several of my car's front bumpers.

For the past several days I've been searching for a front sensor system that will not require drilling holes in the bumper. I finally found one this morning. It appears to have been developed for the UK market. The "sensor" is a metallic tape strip that lines the interior of the front bumper from side to side. It will require removal of the front bumper for installation, but that's usually not too difficult.

I'll order a set soon and have it installed on my S when it arrives.

If any others are interested, here's a link to the site:No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor

interesting. Could it not simply be installed on the inside of the nosecone?

Any update on the sensor installation? ...not that you don't have other things to attend to in life, but I was looking forward to hearing the results of your efforts.
If you'll look further in the thread history you'll see this was a total bust. The large crash bar behind the nose cone interferes with the signal and renders the device inoperable. Not to be deterred, WhiteP85 is attempting this and may get better results than me.

I got a $20 version with a bar meter on ebay. When the weather is nicer I'll play with it and report back.if it does not work on S I can stick it on another car. I'm also considering it for backs ideas supplement to video.