Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford: Quality is job 1 or maybe job 2 or 3....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never owned a Ford, but have test driven plenty when I've been in the market. In fact my Model 3 SR+ is my first North American vehicle. I've owned my fair share of KIA, Honda, Toyota, and Mazda vehicles.

“The [Mach-E’s] doors fit properly, the plastics and other materials color-match, the bumpers don’t fall off, the roof doesn’t come off when you wash it, the door handles don’t get stuck in cold weather.”

- Darren Palmer, Global Product Development Director for Ford

Darren is probably wishing he kept quiet based on the amount of "Quality" issues coming from the Mach-E that have been delivered to customers. All you have to do is head over the the Mach-E forum to realize Ford is having a tough go at it with their release of their Mach-E. It wasn't too long ago that most Mach-E reviews mentioned Ford has a 100+ year history of making cars, so they should be able to ensure the quality. I never bought that theory based on the test drives I've been on. In fact all you have to do is look at Consumer Reports rankings to see just how bad Ford is. In a recent "Which Car Brands Make the Best Vehicles?" Ford ranked 25 our of 32. In the same report Tesla ranked higher, at 16 out of 32. However, Tesla has the highest ranking (tied) for Owner Satisfaction.

Ford messing up their EV launch is a black eye for EVs not just the Mach-E. Ford is experiencing the teething pains we are all familiar with Tesla.

Yes, the tone over on that MME forum went from "Ford will have real QA, unlike Tesla" last year to "this is the first EV from Ford" and "they will fix it soon". That forum was delusional to think Ford would not have issues at launch. Now they have folks rejecting cars for panel gaps, tons of glass roof alignment issues, car won't charge at home, etc.. Strange part is no EV news sites even pick it up. A roof shattered in someones garage with the car was sitting....if that was Tesla it would have been every where. Very strange.

I have a 2019 raptor that beat the snot out of every chance I get. It’s been utterly flawless. I know it’s ice but the build quality of it far exceeded both my Tesla’s.
My Ford Escape started major rust after year 2. Transmission shifts weird after year 4. My Tesla going on year 5 looks and drives like new.

Reactions: Darmie
I have a 2019 raptor that beat the snot out of every chance I get. It’s been utterly flawless. I know it’s ice but the build quality of it far exceeded both my Tesla’s.
I completely understand where you're coming from about your F150. Ford 2020 sales for the F-Series truck is 787,422 down 12.2% from 2019 sales. By comparison, Ford sold 61,090 Mustangs down 15.7% from 2019. The F-Series is Ford cash cow. You would think by the volume of trucks Ford sells, they would get it right.

Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut.

The biggest QA issue reported with MMA is misaligned glass roof. It’s been experienced by a relative handful of folks posting over on macheforum. Certainly not downplaying it, but overall the MME build quality seems to be quite good. The other hardware issue is the driver’s screen buzz - I can personally confirm that.

Otherwise the issues are relatively minor software bugs. First OTA with unspecified bug fixes is already being pushed to select vehicles but Ford is taking a very cautious approach.

The only issue I’ve encountered which I consider serious is unreliable public charging. I knew that going in, choosing what I considered to be the better hardware and hoping that the software and charging infrastructure will continue to develop.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexgr
Yes, the tone over on that MME forum went from "Ford will have real QA, unlike Tesla" last year to "this is the first EV from Ford" and "they will fix it soon". That forum was delusional to think Ford would not have issues at launch. Now they have folks rejecting cars for panel gaps, tons of glass roof alignment issues, car won't charge at home, etc.. Strange part is no EV news sites even pick it up. A roof shattered in someones garage with the car was sitting....if that was Tesla it would have been every where. Very strange.

When I was shopping for a Mustang GT several years ago, I got a good glimpse into what Ford has turned into over the years while browsing the forums.
I decided against it and it was best decision I ever made. After seeing 1 guy go through 3 engines (THREE!!) with similar issues and others having to deal with the known hood corrosion, manual transmission and AC evaporator problems (to name a few), I've come to the realization that Ford has very little interest in fixing anything after the vehicle is sold. They'll warranty repair a defective part with another defective part.

If people think service at Tesla is bad, they need to experience Ford's 'quality service' first hand. I'm already seeing the same attitude playing out with the MME.

The biggest QA issue reported with MMA is misaligned glass roof. It’s been experienced by a relative handful of folks posting over on macheforum. Certainly not downplaying it, but overall the MME build quality seems to be quite good. The other hardware issue is the driver’s screen buzz - I can personally confirm that.

Otherwise the issues are relatively minor software bugs. First OTA with unspecified bug fixes is already being pushed to select vehicles but Ford is taking a very cautious approach.

The only issue I’ve encountered which I consider serious is unreliable public charging. I knew that going in, choosing what I considered to be the better hardware and hoping that the software and charging infrastructure will continue to develop.

I guess I imagined the whining display screens, the wonky hatch alignments, the doors that fit so poorly they grind the paint off the jams, the charging drama, cars getting shipped back to the factory after arriving at the dealer, two recalls, and people being stranded in the snow in brand new cars.

I have a Ford and I have no brand loyalty to any automaker. The Mach E launch has been an epic sh*t-show.

Reactions: alexgr and geekfam
I guess I imagined the whining display screens, the wonky hatch alignments, the doors that fit so poorly they grind the paint off the jams, the charging drama, cars getting shipped back to the factory after arriving at the dealer, two recalls, and people being stranded in the snow in brand new cars.

I have a Ford and I have no brand loyalty to any automaker. The Mach E launch has been an epic sh*t-show.

ok.

He's not wrong. Under 10-15K cars they're dealing with alot of issues. I know a few people who got theirs bought back as lemons due to going dead randomly.

I liked the ride of the Mach-E and ultimately I'm rooting for EV's but Ford's ego isn't serving them well.

This is somewhat unrelated to the topic. However something folks don't realize is the carbon credits that other OEM's like to live on as Tesla's profit is helping the bottom line to build more factories, more lines, engineer more vehicles, put more into testing etc. OEM's are helping Tesla build to the scale of current ICE production capabilities. All while they're playing catch up converting their lines and just trying to get one or two cars rolling. By the time most of them have 2-3 models, Tesla will have 4-5 fully functioning factories as well as their own in house Battery production.

I only add this because Ford and VW execs are gunning for Tesla in the press, but missing the bigger picture.

Reactions: Brando and alexgr
IMach E made in Mexico to insure quality. Why not China? I really shouldn't try to understand Ford/gM management choices.
60 year downward trend in US market share I guess will continue. Must be workers fault.
There is a TV ad running in Canada that says Ford will be changing their Canadian factories to manufacture electric cars. it's pretty vague, but there are 3 factories in Canada. All three in Ontario, according to Wikipedia, they make Ford Triton engine V10, Ford Edge, Flex, Lincoln MKT/MKX and Nautilus and Ford Modular V8 (Coyote)...

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and alexgr
Reactions: Brando

Ford Mustang Mach-E Was The Fourth Best-Selling EV In The U.S. In Q1​

Ford Mustang Mach-E Was The Fourth Best-Selling EV In The U.S. In Q1

I'm not sure where the numbers are coming from as they don't site their source.
LOL - it beat the S/X. Well....because the S/X hasn’t shipped anything yet.

It stole market share from Tesla? OMG! That’s simple math. Tesla’s market share will drop as new entrants come in since Tesla would need to sell many more to keep that percentage.

Reactions: Brando