Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you swapping wheels regularly...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
Are you having any issues with TPMS?

My standard 20" wheels/tyres are working fine.

When I put on some aftermarket 19" rims (9.5 x 19) with 265/35 19 tyres and Huf TPMS sensors, I got the warning message about having changed wheels, so I selected '19" Sport wheels' and 'learn TPMS' in the service menu. After a while the car discovered three sensors but couldn't get the left rear one and kept giving me a TPMS error warning.

So I tried dropping pressure buy 10psi and inflating again on that tyre and also inflating 5psi over and driving for a few minutes then dropping it back down. I tried several resets and re-learns but each time the left rear wasn't coming up.

So then I swapped the left rear to the right of the car and vice versa, did another reset and relearn and still it's the left rear which isn't giving a pressure, even though the original left rear is now on the right rear of the car.

If I go back to the stock 20" wheels, I get all 4 tyre pressures again.

So I'm unsure what to try next or why this is happening. Any advice welcome!

Did you try a reset of the TPMS from your car menu? I've noticed the TPMS are pretty flakey overall though, I get warning on one tire that is set to the same PSI as the other 3 all the time. I had a TPMS warning pop up and all four tires showed 43 psi - well above where I usually get a warning.

Yes, I've reset several times but the left rear just won't show a pressure. The other 3 are good. I've let 1-2 psi out of each one just to double check the car is reading the correct tyre's sensor and the pressure displayed is exactly what I'm seeing on my manual pressure gauge.

Rotating the wheels was a nice idea but the car only knows what the sensor tells it; the physical location is irrelevant :)
So either the sensor is bad or the programming is bad. It probably works out to the same result as you found: replace the sensor with new programming

Are you having any issues with TPMS?

Nope.
Bought my 433 Mhz TPMS sensors from TireRack, and had them mounted and balanced when the entire tire+wheel set was shopped to me in October. Everything worked like a charm.

When I put on some aftermarket 19" rims (9.5 x 19) with 265/35 19 tyres and Huf TPMS sensors[...] the car discovered three sensors but couldn't get the left rear one and kept giving me a TPMS error warning.

Where did you source the TPMS sensors? Who had installed them?
Sounds like one or more of them are flaky.

Usually, there is warranty on new sensors, and your installer should be able to act on it.

If you bought this set of tiers and wheels used, then you might be SOL, and in the market for a new set of sensors + mounting & balancing.

Where did you source the TPMS sensors? Who had installed them?
Sounds like one or more of them are flaky.

Usually, there is warranty on new sensors, and your installer should be able to act on it.

If you bought this set of tiers and wheels used, then you might be SOL, and in the market for a new set of sensors + mounting & balancing.
As I mentioned before, it turned out one sensor was dead from day one. The supplier swapped it out no prblem, but the time wasted diagnosing the issue was annoying. We just don't have many tyre shops in the area with the correct diagnostic equipment.

In the end, I bought an Autel TPMS reader/programmer for £100 and tested them myself. It's quite useful to have it for the future and if I have a problem later or want to add more rims to my collection I can buy Autel sensors and programme them myself.
It can't programme HUF sensors, but it can read them.