Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's not ok to waste your time but it's fine to waste the time of Tesla service personnel? Of course that was a rhetorical question. The answer is that Tesla service personnel did not deserve to be subject to your antics and I am just calling you out on your bad behavior.

Just stop!...most people on this thread was curious to see if they would do that for him cause we'd be scheduling next...wasting the SC time?..are you kidding, try calling them for an appt or their parts department!!...Ive lost 1/1000 of my life waiting for them to answer the dang phone, which they never do.

A buddy of mine has the LR AWD, non P and i have the P-. that extra punch in the beginning is worth every single pennty of 2k or 3k. every single damn penny you have to give. EVERY.

Me, after reading the above quote:

36c1ub.jpg
:

Nothing wrong with asking questions about a car you purchased. But next time just let them know your car did not get the performance firmware when you originally picked it up and ask them to fix it.

But, I did that...….. They knew this was an LR AWD that was delivered three weeks ago.

Edit: When you use the Tesla app, as I indicated I did way back in the original post, the VIN is follows along with the request...

Last edited:
Update #2

This just in from the Tesla rep I was chatting with Closing the loop on this investigation -

"We looked into the thread and it looks like the situation where it occurred was because the vehicle purchased was supposed to be a performance model but it wasn't configured correctly. They configured it properly to a performance model. There was no upgrade that was performed. We looked further into it and confirmed it is not a possible upgrade.

Sorry it's not the news you were looking for. I'll go ahead and cancel your appointment with your permission."

My Reply

"I guess so. By chance did your manager have a sense if Tesla is considering the flash upgrade as it doesn't appear hardware is required to upgrade the recently delivered LR AWD to M3P- status. Thanks for letting me know, John!"

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
Update #2

This just in from the Tesla rep I was chatting with Closing the loop on this investigation -

"We looked into the thread and it looks like the situation where it occurred was because the vehicle purchased was supposed to be a performance model but it wasn't configured correctly. They configured it properly to a performance model. There was no upgrade that was performed. We looked further into it and confirmed it is not a possible upgrade.

Sorry it's not the news you were looking for. I'll go ahead and cancel your appointment with your permission."

My Reply

"I guess so. By chance did your manager have a sense if Tesla is considering the flash upgrade as it doesn't appear hardware is required to upgrade the recently delivered LR AWD to M3P- status. Thanks for letting me know, John!"

Thanks for the update. This makes sense. oh well.

Reactions: jebinc
If Tesla offered the P- unlock for us dual motor owners before the difference was $2,000 for the $2,000 I would be the first in line to unlock my DM. Don't need big wheels or track brakes but would love the acceleration and track mode and would happily give them $2,000 for that.

I agree, it's a no brainer buy. I couldn't justify it at $11k for just a software unlock when I bought (in the original P3- days), but I would have easily paid $5k. At $2k when you're already spending $50k for a car...why not crank up the fun.

Thanks jebinc for getting that info!

Back in 2015 when Tesla offered the Ludicrous after delivery upgrade for $5k, I'm pretty sure the rear drive unit needed to be changed to a bigger one. If a performance upgrade for the 3 requires a similar change, that should be an easy swap. But maybe Tesla doesn't want to do that and get inundated with service calls.

Back in 2015 when Tesla offered the Ludicrous after delivery upgrade for $5k, I'm pretty sure the rear drive unit needed to be changed to a bigger one. If a performance upgrade for the 3 requires a similar change, that should be an easy swap. But maybe Tesla doesn't want to do that and get inundated with service calls.

Time will tell!

Back in 2015 when Tesla offered the Ludicrous after delivery upgrade for $5k, I'm pretty sure the rear drive unit needed to be changed to a bigger one. If a performance upgrade for the 3 requires a similar change...

it doesn't.

Same physical PN on the rear DU in the AWD and P3D- and as noted many cars delivered as AWD were then just SW flashed to P3D-. There's even multiple tesla employees who've said it's just a flash (though to be fair there's a couple who said otherwise- the front line support guys rarely give consistent answers)