Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fluctuating amps Zappi 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Zappi 2 installed a few weeks ago, all seemed fine initially but over time I've noticed that the charge rate is very up and down, normally it hasn't presented too much of a problem but in the last few days I've had cause to need to charge to a higher level and due to the current fluctuation the charge hasn't reached the required level. Hopefully, you can see what I mean from this screenshot showing the typical fluctuations happening. I'm assuming this isn't normal behavior for the Zappi and that I should be getting 32amp throughout? Just for context, the amps are bouncing around from 16-32 and the kw delivered are from 4-7kwh.

Any thoughts as to what I can check myself before having to call the installer?

TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 19.23.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 19.23.24.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 19.21.38.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 19.21.38.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 49
I'm going to assume that you have single-phase 230VAC power being supplied to the Zappi. That your power seems to vary between 16A and 32A points me to saying that the problem is within your car. There can be up to three chargers in the Model 3, each providing 16A of current to the battery pack. You may be having an issue with one of the chargers. Furthermore, the oscillations give me the impression that something is heating up, failing, cooling off, and then recovering.

To verify I would attempt to charge your car somewhere else with Level 2 charging (i.e, not a Supercharger) and see if you see the same variations over time. If so, then it's your car. If not, then the problem may be with your Zappi and/or the power being supplied to it. Check the wiring for proper gauge and monitor for a rise in temperature.

That charging graph seems to say that the problem is with your Zappi installation. If it was your car, then you should have expected to see something like your first graphs (oscillation in power). Could be in the unit itself or the wiring leading up to it. I'd call your installer out and have them take a close look at everything; breaker, wiring (gauge of wire and tightness of connections) and see if there's a way to do a self-diagnostic on the Zappi charger.

I crossed posted this on another forum. You're correct, it is an install issue of sorts. Within the advanced settings the 'CT1' was set to 'monitor', apparently, it should be set to 'grid'. Now this has been changed the problem seems to have gone away.

I'll find out for sure with the overnight charge.