Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fl I95 Auto Pilot Jax drivers heads up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another example of why this is a beta product and the requirement to drive alert when using (as an aside, I've got 10K miles on X, much of it on I75/I95 to and from FL to NC), particularly when traversing new roads/roads that you are not familiar with.

Setup: Just over FL/Ga border & near mile marker 363 where newer concrete pavement has been laid.
Please note that the road is properly striped.
It's 10:30AM (Sunday) traveling South, 90+ heat, significant sun at around 10 o'clock driver's side.
I was in left lane using AP near where road splits to I295 loop.
I was following a vehicle in front of me traveling at speed limit with cars in adjacent lane to right.

Action: All of a sudden, the car in front of me makes a beeline to get to far right hand lane to get to I295 split. Instead of staying in left lane, my X makes a decision to sharply follow that car right. Unless I had taken over I believe would have hit the car adjacent to me in the next lane over.

After adjusting and regaining composure, I quickly looked at screen and saw that road striping was dimmed and I was unable to re-engage AP. It appears that the white concrete roadway coupled with intense sun facing car was impacting the X's ability to traverse the road properly. This continued until I hit the end of the newer white concrete (around exit 337) where the roadway transitioned to blacktop. At that point, and despite the same sun conditions, the vehicle recognized the lanes/striping and AP could be reengaged.

Another example of why this is a beta product and the requirement to drive alert when using (as an aside, I've got 10K miles on X, much of it on I75/I95 to and from FL to NC), particularly when traversing new roads/roads that you are not familiar with.

Setup: Just over FL/Ga border & near mile marker 363 where newer concrete pavement has been laid.
It's 10:30AM (Sunday) traveling South, 90+ heat, significant sun at around 10 o'clock driver's side.
I was following a vehicle in front of me traveling at speed limit with cars in adjacent lane to right.

Action: All of a sudden, the car in front of me makes a beeline to get to far right hand lane to get to I295 split. Instead of staying in left lane, my X makes a decision to sharply follow that car right. Unless I had taken over I believe would have hit the car adjacent to me in the next lane over.

After adjusting and regaining composure, I quickly looked at screen and saw that road striping was dimmed and I was unable to re-engage AP. It appears that the white concrete roadway coupled with intense sun facing car was impacting the X's ability to traverse the road properly. This continued until I hit the end of the newer white concrete (around exit 337) where the roadway transitioned to blacktop. At that point, and despite the same sun conditions, the vehicle recognized the lanes/striping and AP could be reengaged.
Thanks for the report, how close were you following?

Totally off-topic , quick question for you, i want to drive from florida up to new york. I know there are some famous scenery routes through south -north carolina instead of i95. Can u please give some advice of a tesla friendly scenery route ? Thanks!!

I've also noticed that white lines on white concrete don't always register with the AP, especially depending on the angle of the sun. The white concrete roads that work well are the ones that have both white and black dotted lines. At night the white lines show up and during the day the black ones are visible.

I've also noticed that white lines on white concrete don't always register with the AP, especially depending on the angle of the sun. The white concrete roads that work well are the ones that have both white and black dotted lines. At night the white lines show up and during the day the black ones are visible.

This section is white/black but given my experience agree with your thought.

Bottom line Id suggest to all drivers using AP that if in white concrete road with intense sun facing you don't assume AP will operate using the defined lanes in road.

Totally off-topic , quick question for you, i want to drive from florida up to new york. I know there are some famous scenery routes through south -north carolina instead of i95. Can u please give some advice of a tesla friendly scenery route ? Thanks!!

Well depends on your scenario definition and time of year. In fall, head through Asheville up to pa and enjoy beautiful foliage. We typically stop in Savannah and/or Charleston which are great coastal cities with much to do and great food. There are a number of hotels with destination chargers (we use Westin Savannah that has 2 hwpc at 40a to charge over night and leave fully charged in morning...pet friendly too).

It can be longer but routes through Delaware/md peninsula are pretty and there are sufficient SC enroute (found va beach one to be slower than usual and tougher to get to though). Finally, avoid DC from 7am-7pm (only kidding a little) & Savannah sc at airport from 4-5; gulfstream plant lets out and takes a while to get back to i95.

Any South Florida drivers take 95 in Dade? I've seen a few Teslas on it and I know there are quite a few owners in the Aventura/Sunny Isles area.

I've noticed that from around the Golden Glades interchange south to downtown Miami that not only is the road an old beat up concrete (I hate concrete roadways - seriously, "How is this still a thing?", John Oliver-style) but that the white lane markings and even the reflectors are dulled/faded. I've even noticed that you can easily drive 50-100ft in certain places without a reflector even being on the road. They've simply not been replaced or maintained over the years. And that's not even addressing those stupid orange pylons separating the peon lanes from the express lanes.

This is my daily commute and I can't imagine Autopilot working very well on this stretch, but I wonder what owners have experienced.