Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was traveling when I got the news, so I hadn't reached out to our service center to set up an appointment. I just called and found out the update isn't actually available yet. It's expected in the next few weeks. I updated the first post on this thread to reflect that.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it somewhat surprising that they made the double-tap work for "older tech" rather than for "newer tech". Going forward, especially now with the Roadster fix, the majority will be wanting what is now "double tap" experience so they have "the wrong default".
This choice means that any EV driver, mostly likely totally oblivious to this whole issue, can plug in and charge. Only twin-charger Model S owners have any need for the double-tap and if they don't know it, they still get charging at 90% of their maximum charge rate, and 2.3x what they would get at the vast majority of public charging stations.

Defaulting the other way would mean that the Roadster and Leaf owners who don't spend the majority of their waking hours reading online forums would not be able to charge at all.

I'm incredibly appreciative that the Clipper Creek folks came up with a brilliant solution to a problem that Tesla should have fixed years ago and that Nissan should never have had to begin with.

Thanks Tom for all your work on this! just talked to Kent/Sun Country and for the time being Sun Country will be going forward with the Dual CS 100 models, for install in WA state. They had quite a few of the original 100's in stock and have had to send them in for upgrading which has delayed things a bit. Sure wish Nissan would hurry up and create a fix for the Leaf, then the dual mode could be done away with.

The speed with which clipper creek came up with a solution was very impressive!

I was just informed that this firmware fix is not and will not be available for the 1.5 version cars. That sure stinks.

What!? That blows. Is there a reason why this isn't available? Resources? Since there are two firmware code paths for the 1.5 vs the 2.x? Possibly Henry's engineering work may bail the 1.5 crew out of this one if Tesla doesn't give us any love.

To be clear, I'm totally appreciative of their efforts. I was/am just confused by the design choice.
Defaulting the other way would mean that the Roadster and Leaf owners who don't spend the majority of their waking hours reading online forums would not be able to charge at all.
I wasn't aware there was an issue in this regard for Leaf. I thought it was just Roadster. Interesting and thanks for sharing.

To be clear, I'm totally appreciative of their efforts. I was/am just confused by the design choice.

I wasn't aware there was an issue in this regard for Leaf. I thought it was just Roadster. Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Well that's the reason right there. It's one thing to educate a few Roadster drivers that they need to push the Start button twice, it's altogether a different matter with many thousands of Leaf drivers.

Definitely better to default it to 90A. Everyone charges immediately upon plug-in. Model S owners with dual chargers can boost it another 10A if they know the "secret handshake". It works for everyone. Makes perfect sense.

Especially since the 1.5 Roadsters aren't getting the 80A fix...

If you are a 1.5 owner you should call or email your advocate to confirm if this is true or not. Many times we hear things from service centers that turn out not to be accurate. Tom drives a 1.5 and it's hard for me to believe they told him there's an update when there isn't one for his car.

Hope I don't have to make and stock 2 versions of the adapter.

Definitely better to default it to 90A. Everyone charges immediately upon plug-in. Model S owners with dual chargers can boost it another 10A if they know the "secret handshake". It works for everyone. Makes perfect sense.

My 2 CS-100's are on their way. Look forward to trying this out when we get them installed. I wonder if there is any kind of notice on the EVSE about this "feature"?

FYI, Ranger fees are now $100 a visit for Roadster too, not just Model S. So it wouldn't be crazy expensive if you really want the update...
True, but with me also wanting Tesla to survive as a company I hate them to make a 600 mile trip for a software update. And to the last poster's comment I very much doubt this is the cool surprise for Roadster owners and even with the fix the Roadster will still only charge at 70 amps.