Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Powershare home installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point.

I just find it hard to believe the Universal Wall Connector needs communication wires to the 3 V Gateway, but the v2 Wall Connector does not to any of the Powerwall gateways. It must have something to do with how it handles the neutral.
If you want to dark start the system with the "3V Gateway" you need a Universal Wall Connector with the low voltage wire. That wire has two functions, providing DC power to the Gateway so the Gateway computer can boot up without AC power, and whatever RS485 communication is required for the Gateway to tell the truck that it's safe to start providing AC power.

In a Powerwall system, you don't need any of that stuff. The AC micro-grid is already running off the Powerwalls and the Powerwall Gateway can communicate over the internet to the vehicle. It probably doesn't require any local communication because it's not safety critical. The truck is synchronizing to the PW AC waveform and they can negotiate through the cloud how much the truck is going to output.

In a Powerwall system, you don't need any of that stuff. The AC micro-grid is already running off the Powerwalls and the Powerwall Gateway can communicate over the internet to the vehicle. It probably doesn't require any local communication because it's not safety critical. The truck is synchronizing to the PW AC waveform and they can negotiate through the cloud how much the truck is going to output.
I sure hope they aren't using the Internet. In most places the Internet goes down within an hour or two of the power going out. (If they just use the local WiFi network that is fine, but no Internet/cloud should be used.)

Reactions: morph3ous
I sure hope they aren't using the Internet. In most places the Internet goes down within an hour or two of the power going out. (If they just use the local WiFi network that is fine, but no Internet/cloud should be used.)
Yeah, local adhoc intranet in this case, like WC power management.
SmartSelect_20240227_092306_Firefox.jpg

Cybertruck theoretically only needs a periodic output enable signal. After that point, its output can be controlled via line frequency and voltage.

A co worker of mine just took delivery of a dual motor foundation edition cybertruck. They are pretty excited about the powershare feature set since they have 16kW of PV, but no batteries.

I havent been keeping up with this stuff (to put it mildly), so I dont know where we are on this, but I told him to not expect his cybertruck to be the equivalent of a rolling bundle of powerwalls.

Since their 16kW of PV is actually (2) separate 8k systems (2 different vendors, sets of panels, installation dates, one is ground mount one is roof mounted, etc etc) it seems to me that their install is going to be somewhat challenging.

They dont have an idea of timeline, they just took delivery of the truck last week. On a complete different side note, the cybertruck looked a LOT (lot lot lot) better in person to me than the pictures online. The pictures online were definitely "no way in @#$#$@% would I ever own something that looked like that" and when I saw it in person, I actually felt it was kinda cool, after looking at it.

I think for me, part of that is online it looks extremely angular with no rounded corners etc, like sheets of stainless steel, and in person, its "just" rounded enough in a few spots to soften it "just" enough for me.

shrug...

I have to admit the several cyber trucks that I have seen around here have had numerous, shall we, say fit and finish deficiencies... Granted a few were pre-delivery units belonging to a favored few that turned up in the Bay Area early. Still, would you hand out units to "special" folks that had assembly issues? There are other electric pickups that rank a little higher on my list, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not saying that stainless steel is easy to fabricate. It isn't, but DeLorean managed to make solid panels that fit. Some history here;

Trivia: apparently (I haven't seen them), the original dies (moulds) for the DeLorean panels ended up as net anchors for a now defunct salmon farm and are presumably somewhere offshore, deep in Irish waters?

All the best,

BG

Has there been anyone with an existing "partial home" Powerwall backup setup getting PowerShare installed?
Tesla won't touch my partial home backup setup for PowerShare with a 10-foot pole, as my existing Tesla wall charger is not behind the V2 Gateway & Powerwalls.
I'm guessing because they'd need to give me a 2nd (V3) Gateway and a UMC hardware along with the Foundation Series AWD order.
Instead they just give me a credit for $700 in Tesla store and tell me to go on my merry way...

Your current Gateway is fine.
V3 has an auto transformer to generate split phase 120V from the Cybertruck's 240V no neutral output.
Existing Powerwalls perform this function.
Thank you for this. I've got a FS CT on order and the same system (2 PW2 + v1 Gateway) and I was concerned that I would need the "3V Gateway". Tesla should be clearer in their communication and/or have a FAQ that explains this.

Has there been anyone with an existing "partial home" Powerwall backup setup getting PowerShare installed?
Tesla won't touch my partial home backup setup for PowerShare with a 10-foot pole, as my existing Tesla wall charger is not behind the V2 Gateway & Powerwalls.
I'm guessing because they'd need to give me a 2nd (V3) Gateway and a UMC hardware along with the Foundation Series AWD order.
Instead they just give me a credit for $700 in Tesla store and tell me to go on my merry way...
If your existing charger circuit is not behind the GW & PW, you should be able to find a local electrician to re-route the circuit back onto your main panel for minimal cost, depending on how far apart your panels are. Hopefully you have capacity on your panel.

My existing 200A GW2 is fully subscribed with a 200A subpanel of backup loads. Moving a 60A circuit for Tesla UWC from non-backed-up loads on main panel side seems like something that wouldn't fly.
If it's part of a Power Control System, it could be done. The UWC can communicate with a remote Neurio to reduce its load when the upstream feeder nears its limit. However, I don't know how and whether it can be applied to your specific situation.

Reactions: mongo
If it's part of a Power Control System, it could be done. The UWC can communicate with a remote Neurio to reduce its load when the upstream feeder nears its limit. However, I don't know how and whether it can be applied to your specific situation.
Good point, I was only thinking above wire protection, not nuisance tripping.

Meter - 200A gateway - 200A sub-panel
\-60A UWC

Following this thread and similar. We have Tesla Solar as 2 systems, 2 v2 gateways, 2 PWs on each, and solar split across each.

I mainly want to be able to back up one side in particular at least.

Seems excited as reading this, all need to have is the bidirectional universal charger running into my 200 amp panel like it already is and it ceed the entire panel? With no new equipment? (besides CT or future car that supports it of course)

Is the max amps bidirectionally provided 48 amps, so on a 60 amp breaker? I need to rewire my current NEMA 14-50 with a hardwired bidirectional charger and want the max possible of course. We already have the required gauge wires to support up to 80 amps ran.

Last edited: