Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Powershare home installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW - I asked in the chat if powershare capabilities were going to be enabled in older vehicles or just the cybertruck/2024/future vehicles. They responded that the information they received is for future vehicles.
The current Teslas, other than the Cybertruck, don't have the hardware to support Powershare. They probably won't update the vehicles until after the Cybertruck has Powershare fully worked out. So maybe starting with refreshes in 2025?

Is that a Gateway 1 on the install? Does not look like a Gateway 2. Looking at the high-level diagram it could be a Gateway V3?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 6.34.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 6.34.20 PM.png
    333 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I tend to doubt version 2 of the Tesla Wall Connector will work bidirectional without the communication wires. Version 3 should work because it can communicate direction through WiFi.

Thus the claim version 2 supports V2H requires an asterisk IMHO.

I tend to doubt version 2 of the Tesla Wall Connector will work bidirectional without the communication wires. Version 3 should work because it can communicate direction through WiFi.

Thus the claim version 2 supports V2H requires an asterisk IMHO.
The Wall Connectors already communicate with the vehicle to set current limits, why do you think that link can't handle bidirectional configuration?

Good point.

I just find it hard to believe the Universal Wall Connector needs communication wires to the 3 V Gateway, but the v2 Wall Connector does not to any of the Powerwall gateways. It must have something to do with how it handles the neutral.

Good point.

I just find it hard to believe the Universal Wall Connector needs communication wires to the 3 V Gateway, but the v2 Wall Connector does not to any of the Powerwall gateways. It must have something to do with how it handles the neutral.
The Powershare Gateway includes an autotransformer to create the dual 120 split phase from the 240V output from Cybertruck.
The Powershare UWC has extra stuff to power itself from the truck and power/wake the Gateway from a power off dark state.

In a Powerwall setup, everything stays powered, the PW handles split phase, and the Wall Connector can WiFi to the PW and/or Gateway as could the Cybertruck.

Note that in dead PW situation, the Powershare type equipment would probably be needed (possibly with standard GW and the jump pins)

Reactions: DBeckwith
Can the Cybertruck charge the Powerwall? I can imagine a case where it has to shuttle back and forth to a supercharger or other power source to keep home powered. And it sounds like a dead Powerwall is critical to avoid a dark state.

Is that a Gateway 1 on the install? Does not look like a Gateway 2. Looking at the high-level diagram it could be a Gateway V3?

I'm a huge proponent of V2H, and was all excited about PowerShare and thus excited anew about CyberTruck production if it could bring V2H to me a few years earlier in lieu of a Powerwall. Alas, seems like with all the equipment and ancillary costs to get PowerShare set up (excluding the vehicle), particuarly you can't plop a gateway right there between the meter and load-center in my home and many California homes with the integrated meter-panel, the installation costs will increase substantially.

And in the hypothetical that the PowerShare install is not eligible for 30% tax credit, while Powerwalls are, it's pretty much going to be cheaper (after tax credits) to just install one Powerwall to get PowerShare capability, than to just install PowerShare (which comes with no battery)....

The Solaredge bi-directional V2H charger seems a much better design. It charges the vehicle with 200V or 400V DC from the inverters DC bus input. When pulling power from the vehicle, it puts that on the DC bus and uses the solar inverter to power the house. For Solar to vehicle charging that stays all DC so no inverter efficiency hit. You take a hit coming from the vehicle to the AC bus, but the the solar inverters are 98+ efficient.

The other nice thing is since the unit ties into the DC bus, there is no panel change or upgrade required either. You will need a transfer switch like in their battery setup if you want to run through a power outage, but for those of us who like our homes to stay powered when it's dark and rainy and have a generator for backup, this is a great solution for load-shifting using the vehicle's battery. One of their 11KW inverters is more than adequate to push out enough power in peak hours even for a large house.

It doesn't look like Tesla is really engineering this set up for mass adoption.

I'm slightly confused. Currently have a microinverter PV system, two PW2 and a Gateway v1. Tesla Powershare web site says:
  • Installation 1
    • Universal Wall Connector
    • Tesla Gateway
    • Backup Switch (optional) 2

1 Equipment sold separately. No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwall and Wall Connector.
2 Faster, more affordable installations when approved by utility and jurisdiction.

Elsewhere, same web page mentions a "Gateway 3V." I can find no other confirmation of a Gateway v3. Is there a Gateway v3? If so, is it required for Powershare? Footnote 1 makes no differentiation between Gateway versions implying any Gateway version will do. Thanks.

Reactions: gmtom1
I'm slightly confused. Currently have a microinverter PV system, two PW2 and a Gateway v1. Tesla Powershare web site says:
  • Installation 1
    • Universal Wall Connector
    • Tesla Gateway
    • Backup Switch (optional) 2

1 Equipment sold separately. No additional equipment required when homes are equipped with Powerwall and Wall Connector.
2 Faster, more affordable installations when approved by utility and jurisdiction.

Elsewhere, same web page mentions a "Gateway 3V." I can find no other confirmation of a Gateway v3. Is there a Gateway v3? If so, is it required for Powershare? Footnote 1 makes no differentiation between Gateway versions implying any Gateway version will do. Thanks.
Your current Gateway is fine.
V3 has an auto transformer to generate split phase 120V from the Cybertruck's 240V no neutral output.
Existing Powerwalls perform this function.

Reactions: gmtom1
Some of the videos from the guys linked at the beginning of this thread imply that other Tesla vehicles will get PowerShare "soon". I will probably be buying a new car in the next 12 months and I'm leaning toward a Model Y. If the Juniper refresh comes out in that timeframe and it includes PowerShare, that will definitely seal the deal. I would probably be comfortable paying about $5k more than today's prices for a Juniper Y if it has PowerShare.