Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First longer drive in rain and cold. This look normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all! Today I took my LR AWD out for its first long-ish drives. The first drive of the day was pretty cold for TX. High 40’s and raining pretty steadily. It was mostly highway.

I started the climate about 5 minutes before I left while still connected to shore power. Car had finished charging long before as I didn’t drive much yesterday. I had thought that by pre-conditioning the car the consumption would be near normal levels, so I was surprised at how much juice it drank during this drive. I’m having trouble attaching pictures, so here are the stats from TeslaFi:

37 Minutes
40.43 miles driven
66.46 rated miles used
362 Wh/mi
60.8 Efficency
Battery usage: 22%
14.63 kWh
Average speed 63
Max Speed 80
Elevation: +19.8
Outside 47.1
Inside 68.8

Later drives in the day, short and long, were lower at 289 wh/mi 98 wH/mi and then 259.

Was this drive typical of what you see when starting off cold?

Thanks.

Your 19" wheels are gonna be part of it. My guess is your are cruising 70+ so that's a little bit of hit.

What are your heater settings. How you set it (not just Temperature), can make a big difference.

Don't know how to read your elevation. But that can be a big hit.

Those temps should not have been that big of hit. I got 80% efficiency 400 miles with temps between 32-38F, and that is P3D- (AWD with Aero's)
But I'm driving slower (65 mph), Running Aero Covers on. And I think I have my heater settings sorted out ;)

The longer the drive the better the numbers.

Yes, cabin heat was on and set to 70. Auto. Fan speed was usually 3. As it was for my later drives. But those ambient temps were a bit higher. I did pre-heat while on shore power.

My second, longest drive of the day was 60 miles at 282 wH/mi. Ambient temp for that one was only 2 higher at 49.5

My third long drive home was 38 miles, 259 wH/mi and the temp was up to 55.7. Average speed was 63, 63 and 52.

Living in Houston, elevation is pretty insignificant.

Also, you mention it was raining. The energy used due to the increased rolling friction of pushing the water away from the car is surprisingly high.

I’m sure someone here can give a quantifiable estimate of the range loss.

• Informative
Reactions: PJFW8
People seem to keep guessing about the stats, but they are all there in the first post: outside temp 47 deg, inside 69 deg, avg speed 63 mph, elevation change 20 ft.

I have an AWD with 18" wheels/no aero and these consumption numbers don't surprise me. The first drive of the day always takes more juice seemingly no matter what I do. Add in some rain, temps below 50, using the heater, and consumption is going to be high. I think my lifetime number (at around 4,100 miles) is about 259 wh/mile. At least half of that is freeway driving between 70 - 80 mph, temps in the 50s and 60s, mostly flat ground, and dry weather.

Interesting observation.

While charging, I went into the cabin to check something. Immediately my time to charge shot up from 3:05 remaining to 5:00 remaining. And my range added rate dropped from 30 miles / hour to 15.

Checking inTeslaFi confirmed.

Guess that heater does use some serious juice! Perhaps I need to pre-heat earlier.

Last edited:
hello all! Today I took my LR AWD out for its first long-ish drives. The first drive of the day was pretty cold for TX. High 40’s and raining pretty steadily. It was mostly highway.

I started the climate about 5 minutes before I left while still connected to shore power. Car had finished charging long before as I didn’t drive much yesterday. I had thought that by pre-conditioning the car the consumption would be near normal levels, so I was surprised at how much juice it drank during this drive. I’m having trouble attaching pictures, so here are the stats from TeslaFi:

37 Minutes
40.43 miles driven
66.46 rated miles used
362 Wh/mi
60.8 Efficency
14.63 kWh
Average speed 63
Max Speed 80
Outside 47.1
Inside 68.8

Later drives in the day, short and long, were lower at 289 wh/mi 98 wH/mi and then 259.

Was this drive typical of what you see when starting off cold?

Thanks.
Energy consumption goes up exponentially with speed. The usage at 80 is more than the savings at 40.

37 Minutes
40.43 miles driven
66.46 rated miles used
362 Wh/mi
60.8 Efficency
14.63 kWh
Average speed 63
Max Speed 80
Outside 47.1
Inside 68.8

I did nearly the exact drive today in Ohio. 32miles. 45 outside. Constant misty light rain. Awd non-perf. Nearly the same numbers for Wh/mi. Drive home it was up into the mid 50s and it stopped raining but roads were wet. Think I was at 285 What/mi

Reactions: Needsdecaf