Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive with a Steering Wheel on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fly aircraft, and I think yokes are corny. good for low performance aircraft if you must... and that's about it.
If you're a pilot you should know the differences...
There is definitely a need for instrument visibility in an airplane (or was, it's less of an issue now with glass cockpits) The other big difference is you never turn the yoke in a plane past 90º, and even then it's typically not for long. You also don't need to worry about blinkers and a gear shifter in an airplane...

If you're a pilot you should know the differences...
There is definitely a need for instrument visibility in an airplane (or was, it's less of an issue now with glass cockpits) The other big difference is you never turn the yoke in a plane past 90º, and even then it's typically not for long. You also don't need to worry about blinkers and a gear shifter in an airplane...
if you're a pilot, you would know that you glance at instruments, and don't stare at them. take a metal picture, process in your mind, while remaining outside (if VFR). if IFR, then it's cross checking, and similarly to VFR, never staring. the notion that yokes are for "visibility" is nonsense. it makes plaid buyers feel cool as directed by marketing, while unwittingly grouping themselves into a group of low performance aircraft flyers. the functional gains are minor at best, and heavily over played in this thread.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
if you're a pilot, you would know that you glance at instruments, and don't stare at them. take a metal picture, process in your mind, while remaining outside (if VFR). if IFR, then it's cross checking, and similarly to VFR, never staring. the notion that yokes are for "visibility" is nonsense. it makes plaid buyers feel cool as directed by marketing, while unwittingly grouping themselves into a group of low performance aircraft flyers. the functional gains are minor at best, and heavily over played in this thread.
if you can't see the instruments then you can't glance at them.

But yes, the comparison of the plaid to an airplane is laughable IMO.

Reactions: evo9rs
if you can't see the instruments then you can't glance at them.

But yes, the comparison of the plaid to an airplane is laughable IMO.
this is true, I was thinking a bit more about how I don't routinely deal w controls getting in my line of sight. I can understand how that would be irritating!

sorry for the rant. anyway, the OPs idea of the yoke representing the soul of a model s... I thought was him being absurdist, i'm coming around to think s/he isn't joking.

Not that I want to give Tesla any ideas, but I learned to fly taildragger in a Piper Cub… stick and rudder all the way!

Joe

the more dynamic the aircraft, the more necessary a stick and rudder, or cyclic and collective. this is why I don't understand a yoke on a highly dynamic ground vehicle. yokes are for aircraft that are good at straight and level, putting a yoke on a car and unnaturally speeding up the steering ratios I mean, yes that's new and interesting. and also meaningless innovation. it screams gimmick and cheapens the model s. (opinion, of course)

the more dynamic the aircraft, the more necessary a stick and rudder, or cyclic and collective. this is why I don't understand a yoke on a highly dynamic ground vehicle. yokes are for aircraft that are good at straight and level, putting a yoke on a car and unnaturally speeding up the steering ratios I mean, yes that's new and interesting. and also meaningless innovation. it screams gimmick and cheapens the model s. (opinion, of course)
As others have said a yoke with steer by wire might be ok. But agree, it's a gimmick the way it is now.

Explain to me how turning the yoke hand over hand in a tight turn with nothing on the top to grab onto
My gimmick yoke is the best and I'll never go back to a full steering wheel. It is the most comfortable steering I've ever used. I don't understand this hand over hand argument except that it has to be coming from people who just don't like or have never learned how to use the yoke. My yoke gets turned tightly every day. The shape hasn't presented any problems for me in two years and 16,000 miles. I have learned how to use it. I like it. And it's fine if you don't like it.

My gimmick yoke is the best and I'll never go back to a full steering wheel. It is the most comfortable steering I've ever used. I don't understand this hand over hand argument except that it has to be coming from people who just don't like or have never learned how to use the yoke. My yoke gets turned tightly every day. The shape hasn't presented any problems for me in two years and 16,000 miles. I have learned how to use it. I like it. And it's fine if you don't like it.
Having driven the yoke extensively... I have no idea how anyone can say it's comfortable. And I do find it to be extremely lacking for any sort of driving that involves sharp turns

I honestly can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

I’m glad you like it but certainly glad they have options now. Once it’s steer by wire I think it will be a non-issue for most everyone. If it was universally liked by everyone, Elon would never have been forced to bring back round steering wheel. Or center horn for that matter.

@Hayseed_MS Guess I was expecting a more adult reply than 😂 but given your prior posts it’s not surprising.

I guess the moderator maturity bar is not too high.

I did not reply because, honestly, what am I to say? How do I explain how to drive? Not a dig at you but just do not know how to say it differently than it has been said many times before. No issues with tight turns for me - maybe it was the way I was trained or developed. I love the yoke after almost 3yrs/100k+ miles and you do not like it. I am okay with that fact.

I guess the moderator maturity bar is not too high.

I did not reply because, honestly, what am I to say? How do I explain how to drive? Not a dig at you but just do not know how to say it differently than it has been said many times before. No issues with tight turns for me - maybe it was the way I was trained or developed. I love the yoke after almost 3yrs/100k+ miles and you do not like it. I am okay with that fact.
Fairly certain I know how to drive. But given that Tesla was forced to bring back the round steering wheel due to customer complaints or people refusing to even order the car with the yoke, don't think I'm alone here. The yoke looks cool and given the UI was designed for the yoke, is better in that way.

And I guess saying 'the moderator maturity bar is not too high' says a lot about your contributions to this page.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
Fairly certain I know how to drive. But given that Tesla was forced to bring back the round steering wheel due to customer complaints or people refusing to even order the car with the yoke, don't think I'm alone here. The yoke looks cool and given the UI was designed for the yoke, is better in that way.

And I guess saying 'the moderator maturity bar is not too high' says a lot about your contributions to this page.
I’m waiting to see how long it takes them to bring back the stalks. Personally I can say I would never buy a car with a yoke or without stalks and I know I’m not alone. Tesla recently resurrected the FSD transfer promotion, reportedly to boost sales. Maybe having a good control suite would be a better place to start?