Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Autopilot running on the road video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go. Brand new video from WSJ:

Tesla Downloads 'Autopilot' to Its Vehicles

Interesting quote: "In a nod to regulators, the car makes you put your hands back on the wheel every so often, or it will start to slow down and bleat at the driver with a warning bell."

Every so often = timed?

The video may be brand new but the software that was tested was old. At least, I interpret "early download of the software" as meaning "a beta" and not "this car got the release version early". The fact the author doesn't know the difference between ultrasonics and radar didn't inspire confidence either. Assuming the software was "old", we can conclude exactly nothing about whether the released version will have a nag.

We won't know definitively until Thursday (or, you know, later) about the nag.

There was a mention somewhere about Tesla giving more information this afternoon, so I guess we'll see if anything comes of that. Otherwise, definitely find out over the next few days as the software rolls out! I've heard that it will make you grab the wheel if it loses track of lines, but do hope that it will remove the warning if it quickly acquires the markings before you touch the wheel. Otherwise, I agree that it's just a nag.

There was a mention somewhere about Tesla giving more information this afternoon, so I guess we'll see if anything comes of that. Otherwise, definitely find out over the next few days as the software rolls out! I've heard that it will make you grab the wheel if it loses track of lines, but do hope that it will remove the warning if it quickly acquires the markings before you touch the wheel. Otherwise, I agree that it's just a nag.

11am PST/2pmEST today.

Cool, maybe we'll see release notes today then. Assuming this is because technically it is Thursday here soon in the far East like Australia, and it'll start rolling out.

This makes a lot of sense. I think that Tesla is going to do their best to dial down expectations, to minimize the likelihood of people doing really really stupid things. The group here on TMC is going to be a fairly knowledgeable group, but I can imagine that there are a lot out there in the general populace that don't know much of anything about what "autopilot" means and doesn't mean.

The want to minimize the possibility of people turning it on and reclining to have a snooze... or worse! :)

How would Tesla know who that is?

Beware of the Esper machine...

esper1.png

Enhance:
s3a.png

Last edited by a moderator: