Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla has a new firmware they will schedule you Tesla in the queue (you will never know where you are, and in fact you will never get every update). Once your car as downloaded it, it will tel you and ask you when you want to install it (i.e., pick a time to do the install or perform it now).

To see where you are vs., what is the latest firmware release, check out this site:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Remember: You will never receive every single one. Some owners may only receive one in 10 firmware releases.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I'm a bit of a newb myself, and have a few questions about the firmware update.

I just checked my phone app and notice that I am on the 2017.36 1b27c6d version on my 2017 Model X75D. I took delivery of my car on Sept 19, 2017. How can I tell when that software was loaded onto my car? Are any of the software updates automatic, or will the car always prompt me to download the software and perform the update?

When the updated software is loading, is the car drive-able? How long do these update generally take? Is there a way to request a specific update?

Seems like I'm rather outdated with my 2017.36 version considering 2017.41 is currently available.

One more thing...I was told my car was uncorked before delivery, but my performance numbers are showing performance that is on par if not worse than corked Model X75D's! My 0-60mph times are in the 6.1 second range and my power output is less than 300kw! Will the firmware update help "activate" my uncorking?

Thanks all!

I just checked my phone app and notice that I am on the 2017.36 1b27c6d version on my 2017 Model X75D. I took delivery of my car on Sept 19, 2017. How can I tell when that software was loaded onto my car? Are any of the software updates automatic, or will the car always prompt me to download the software and perform the update?

When the updated software is loading, is the car drive-able? How long do these update generally take? Is there a way to request a specific update?

Seems like I'm rather outdated with my 2017.36 version considering 2017.41 is currently available.

One more thing...I was told my car was uncorked before delivery, but my performance numbers are showing performance that is on par if not worse than corked Model X75D's! My 0-60mph times are in the 6.1 second range and my power output is less than 300kw! Will the firmware update help "activate" my uncorking?

Thanks all!

You always get a message asking when you want to install the update (its already been downloaded). Tesla can push an update automatically, but I think they only ever did a widespread push one time. Even then, you also get a message on the screen after install, usually with the release notes. No way to know when a particular install happened - that is why we use ev-fw.com to record it.

It tells you the expected install time, often they say 1hr 40 minutes and often it is much faster. You cannot drive the car and it is best to leave alone during the actual install - fans whire and it seems to have a life of its own. Opening a door etc. might well interrupt things. If you have the phone app, it will tell you when a new release is available, and it will also send a push notification when it is done.

Can't help with the uncorking issue though

Thanks all!
I got my S75D on Sept 28, 2017. It had FW 2017.36. On the same day (within 2 hours of getting the car in Fremont) I got the notice to upgrade to 2017.38. Assuming you got a Newly built Car (not an inventory car built before July 2017) then you would have the latest hardware. I.E. 2.5 instead of 2.0. You should of also gotten an email shortly after getting the car that Emergency Braking was temporary disabled. Recently enabled with 2017.40 build. Also, when you ordered the car you would have noticed the new speed on the order page web site. However, if you car was an inventory car say before July build then you would not have these New features. Also, 6.1 seconds seems slow even if you did not have the new hardware. It think it should be in the 5.n second range.

I got my S75D on Sept 28, 2017. It had FW 2017.36. On the same day (within 2 hours of getting the car in Fremont) I got the notice to upgrade to 2017.38. Assuming you got a Newly built Car (not an inventory car built before July 2017) then you would have the latest hardware. I.E. 2.5 instead of 2.0. You should of also gotten an email shortly after getting the car that Emergency Braking was temporary disabled. Recently enabled with 2017.40 build. Also, when you ordered the car you would have noticed the new speed on the order page web site. However, if you car was an inventory car say before July build then you would not have these New features. Also, 6.1 seconds seems slow even if you did not have the new hardware. It think it should be in the 5.n second range.

Thanks Mike.

My MX75D is an inventory car that was built in March of 2017, and delivered on September 19, 2017. Because of this, I probably don't have the latest hardware and I probably have the AP 2.0 hardware. I never received email email about the Emergency Braking system being disabled.

Having read a recent thread in this forum about uncorked cars, I inquired with my OA and SC, and they told me my car was uncorked. They even read something to me in the vehicle spec sheet that said "Model X75D uncorked performance upgrade complete". After testing the performance, I am convinced that either the uncorking never "took" or it was never uncorked at all. I was told that a firmware update may help to activate the uncorking.

Anyone else here have any thoughts about this?

Can I make an appointment with the SC to have my firmware updated?