Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this thread really needs to be split into two parts, style (subjective) and features/usability.

With all the excellent display real estate available I just hope Tesla make the best use of this, and not leave us with acres of unused space or comically oversized items (clock?) compensating for limited displayed information.
This is absolutely a Tesla USP, and Tesla really must make the best of it, it is a very powerful sales tool for passengers/potential buyers.

Said before and I'll say again ...
Standard and Advanced modes please to cater for the widest possible range of users.

Overall I am not overly concerned as early builds of software typically are feature restricted whilst the basic structure is proved, it is then relatively simple to pile on extra goodies

You're expecting way too much. It's taken Tesla the better portion of the last year to update the UI skin and to downgrade the user experience. They'll need at least another 2-3 years before they can give you a media app that is on par with your 2009 Windows box. But I digress. In about 30 seconds other forum members will descend upon me and lecture about how the media app and all other user experiences are completely irrelevant because Tesla needs to focus on Model X, or Model 3, or a unicorn.

2009?! Why, Winamp had this back in oh, 1997? Windows Media Player in 1991? But don't threat, we paid thousands of dollars for an "Ultra High Fidelity Sound" (an upgrade, mind you) that can't even fast forward nor rewind music. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ah man, don't let pesky facts get in the way of a good cathartic rant.

Ah man, ranting about people ranting really elevates your point.

Climate control is clearly off in the picture. Find one with it on before freaking out about the lack of indicators.
It's already been well documented. It is as you see it...on or off. All the details of climate control function have been buried in a sublevel. There was a video of it which was quickly taken down. Apparently that's progress. Maybe in 8.0 we'll have to access a submenu to check the speedometer. IN it's place the screen will just scroll a message saying everything is great.

I'm really hoping that the 7.0 UI shown in this thread is just a testing UI that they've sent out to the early access people so that the real UI doesn't leak until its full release! I really like the current UI and while there's room for improvement, it looks like 7.0 (if it's the actual UI) is a big step backwards. I'm fine with a flat UI, but this is certainly not the way to do it. Flat does not have to equal boring, and that's what this looks like. Not to mention the loss of functionality!! Really hoping that the other interface that was shown off at the auto pilot reveal (someone posted it here, but I don't feel like looking back at the moment) is the actual interface - looked much nicer!

I'm with you on this... this is getting ridiculous...

Well, they were "almost ready to release it" one month ago!

The frustration over the overall delay is more than understandable. But things appear to be on track and not ridiculous at this point. They were almost ready to release a month ago to Early Access Program beta testers (not a general release). That occurred. Expectations that it would be generally released immediately following ignores purpose of beta testing - beta testers provide feedback & it's not uncommon for small additional changes to be made following feedback.

At the Shareholders' mtg, Elon did say something to the effect of 'assuming the beta testing goes well', which I interpreted to mean 'if no major changes required'. (Of course, with all the complaining by people who haven't actually used it yet, maybe they have decided some major changes need to be made :).)

The frustration over the overall delay is more than understandable. But things appear to be on track and not ridiculous at this point. They were almost ready to release a month ago to Early Access Program beta testers (not a general release). That occurred. Expectations that it would be generally released immediately following ignores purpose of beta testing - beta testers provide feedback & it's not uncommon for small additional changes to be made following feedback.

At the Shareholders' mtg, Elon did say something to the effect of 'assuming the beta testing goes well', which I interpreted to mean 'if no major changes required'. (Of course, with all the complaining by people who haven't actually used it yet, maybe they have decided some major changes need to be made :).)

God I hope so...

So you're good with further delays if they decide to rework the UI based on feedback from this forum?

Yup.

Or would you rather it be released & let people provide feedback for future releases?

Nope. That would mean they release a suboptimal (IMHO) V7... and then gather feedback on it.. they'd have to backpedal quite a bit with the design. So then a lot more people would complain that they *like* that V7 and want it back. I think they only have one shot to release the UI in a fashion that will cause the least amount of agita amongst the horde.

edit: I really don't want Tesla to be like Intuit that changes the UI on Quicken on EVERY SINGLE RELEASE. And every new release fixes the bugs from the previous release, but introduces a dozen more each time. I'm still complaining to them about bugs that have been around for the last three major releases. No, I'd rather Tesla get it right the first time, instead of releasing more and different versions, even if that means a delay.

It's already been well documented. It is as you see it...on or off. All the details of climate control function have been buried in a sublevel. There was a video of it which was quickly taken down. Apparently that's progress. Maybe in 8.0 we'll have to access a submenu to check the speedometer. IN it's place the screen will just scroll a message saying everything is great.

LOL!

So you're good with further delays if they decide to rework the UI based on feedback from this forum? Or would you rather it be released & let people provide feedback for future releases?

I would rather wait for something good than accept mediocre today.

Sorry if I have missed this....750 posts to weed through: besides the mistakenly received 'beta' version shown on the first page of the thread has anyone actually seen the 'beta' yet? Is it not possible that this may have been floated out by TM to gauge reaction? There is NO evidence or reference to autopilot features on the first page screen shot.....this could be an 'alpha', not a 'beta'

So you're good with further delays if they decide to rework the UI based on feedback from this forum? Or would you rather it be released & let people provide feedback for future releases?

I don't have autopilot in my car, so releasing 7.0 won't do me a bit of good. Selfishly, I'd be happy for them to take as long as they need.

But even putting my "I want autopilot now" hat on, I'd rather that they didn't release a bad UI that eliminated functionality.