Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to insert my usual request to split firmware stickies into TWO posts. One for people to update us all on when they got it, how they got it, how they didn't get it, how long it took to update, their version numbers, etc.... and another sticky post where all we do is list and discuss the specific features.

Agreed. And can we also put a ban on posts relating to whether anyone knows anything about how Tesla sequences the rollout. Sorry to be mean, but geez.

As for the order, it seems it changes between releases. I was one of the last to get 5.9. I was considering driving down to the SC to get it, I had to wait so long.

To my surprise I had the update notification this morning and am now on 6.0.

But now I have to upgrade my phone. New mobile app says it's not compatible with my version of Android (I'm on 2.3.6 and it's company owned so I won't root it).

I was on 5.11 1.59.56 and installed 6.0 1.65.13 this morning (9/16) after an overnight OTA download. During the update, my battery status went from 68%/178 rated to 70% 182 rated. That’s an increase in current estimate of state of charge but questionable difference in what 100% rated range would be.

I found an update waiting for me this morning, certainly 6.0. I'll be installing as soon as I get home. I've been on 5.11 since delivery.
I set up one of my old routers as a repeater last weekend to give my car a stronger signal with hopes of increasing my chances of getting the update. Maybe it helped?

Hmmm maybe it's time for this again, since audience seems to double with each release. Those of us who have lived through multiple release cycles know the following to be true:

1) There is NO known formula/sequence for how cars get new software updates. They are done over about a month. Sometimes you are early. Sometimes you are late. Don't sweat it!
2) There is NO evidence that being on WIFI gets you releases earlier, or that being on 3G delays.
3) There HAVE been situations where releases are only installed at SCs for a period before being pushed OTA. Once there's evidence of OTA pushes, then just be patient!
4) In almost all cases, pushes stop in the middle of a rollout (sometimes more than once) and a new .version is pushed once they resume. This is presumed to happen in response to bug reports and their subsequent fixes (or people finding future features in documentation???).

That is why someone suggested a ban on posts regarding rollout sequence... though I appreciate that it seems like a totally fair question to a new owner!
While we are suggesting bans that will never happen, I'd like to see squabbles about Tesla's beta testing/rollout approach go away. Everything that can be said has been said... and they are going to keep doing it how they do it because they have determined it is best. Who are we to second guess?!?!? But we will! Over and over.

Hmmm maybe it's time for this again, since audience seems to double with each release. Those of us who have lived through multiple release cycles know the following to be true:

1) There is NO known formula/sequence for how cars get new software updates. They are done over about a month. Sometimes you are early. Sometimes you are late. Don't sweat it!
2) There is NO evidence that being on WIFI gets you releases earlier, or that being on 3G delays.
3) There HAVE been situations where releases are only installed at SCs for a period before being pushed OTA. Once there's evidence of OTA pushes, then just be patient!
4) In almost all cases, pushes stop in the middle of a rollout (sometimes more than once) and a new .version is pushed once they resume. This is presumed to happen in response to bug reports and their subsequent fixes (or people finding future features in documentation???).

That is why someone suggested a ban on posts regarding rollout sequence... though I appreciate that it seems like a totally fair question to a new owner!
While we are suggesting bans that will never happen, I'd like to see squabbles about Tesla's beta testing/rollout approach go away. Everything that can be said has been said... and they are going to keep doing it how they do it because they have determined it is best. Who are we to second guess?!?!? But we will! Over and over.

If there's a way to make these comments prominent at the beginning of rollout threads, it might cut down on the questions addressed in your post.

...they are going to keep doing it how they do it because they have determined it is best...

I am not even sure Tesla has stuck to one particular way. This may be the first release with a broad thorough beta testing. Based on the previous rollout experiences, may be they made some fundamental changes. So I'd modify above statement to - they are going to keep doing whatever they find best at the time.

I just got the release when I got back to my car after leaving work. This is the first time I've ever gotten an update in the middle of the day. Previous updates have always happened overnight. It seems like maybe there is a much bigger push of updates today.

Agreed — new owner here and this will be my first software update to get and navigating through 40 pages of two streams of information is daunting (though not impossible). I love the idea though of splitting out the discussion as it would help in digesting the details. And, for the record, I have not yet received the update, just been reading and trying to figure out what to expect //
I'd like to insert my usual request to split firmware stickies into TWO posts. One for people to update us all on when they got it, how they got it, how they didn't get it, how long it took to update, their version numbers, etc.... and another sticky post where all we do is list and discuss the specific features.