Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on PPF results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a full front PPF installed on my new Model Y at a local reputable installer that is well-talked about on this forum. I felt that the price was reasonable and the people were nice; however, a week later after the rain has stopped and some of the air bubbles have dried, I looked at the results again and noticed that there are some areas of the PPF installation that could have been done better. Would love to get any feedback on if I'm being nitpicky here or if I should go back to them and ask them to redo any areas.

I want to preface that I'm a very detail-oriented person that likes to keep his car clean and looking good so these issues stand out to me. It's hard to see them unless you look closely, and functionally the PPF does as it's intended--to protect the car. I don't want to unnecessarily waste someone's time and film, and I also know that there have been a lot of deliveries lately so they have been crazy busy. That said, let me know if my standards are too high or if I should just live with these.

Attachments

• PPF 1.jpg
    PPF 1.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 423
  • PPF 2.jpg
    PPF 2.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 357
  • PPF 3.jpg
    PPF 3.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 357
  • PPF 4.jpg
    PPF 4.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 360
  • PPF 5.jpg
    PPF 5.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 347
  • PPF 6.jpg
    PPF 6.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 336
  • PPF 7.jpg
    PPF 7.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 337
  • PPF 8.jpg
    PPF 8.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 356
I think it depends on the total cost. If you get a comparable quote elsewhere and this one is significantly less, then that's likely where the savings are to help justify the results.

Alternatively, you can always ask them since it's already applied to see if they are able to resolve some of the issues. I would focus on the dust ones but do bring up the others to see what they response is.

Reactions: tangible1
Like stated above you get what you pay for With ppf. I paid over 5k to have my car wrapped with 3m stealth ppf. However mine was not a pre cut kit. He does them bu hand and he worked on it for over 33 hours total in 3 days.
that being said you might be a little picky. But I would at least see what they say about the issues. If they bother you bring it to their attention. I doubt he would be upset if he did the best he could.

could I see a picture of the finished car complete.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hardly think that close to $2k for a front PPF is cheap, but comparatively it may be a “good” deal.

I guess I was just expecting this company that is well talked about on this forum and has hundreds of reviews across google and yelp with 5 star average to delivery on the highest quality regardless of whatever price they agreed to.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hardly think that close to $2k for a front PPF is cheap, but comparatively it may be a “good” deal.

I guess I was just expecting this company that is well talked about on this forum and has hundreds of reviews across google and yelp with 5 star average to delivery on the highest quality regardless of whatever price they agreed to.
Last June our PPF was 1800 for full front using Xpel. It turned out overall pretty well w/o any major eye sores in obvious places except for a wrinkle on the passenger mirror. That didn't bother me so much considering the curves on mirrors is pretty tough and I've had it on previous cars so not a surprise.

Call your shop up and give them a chance to make it right? If ya get no satisfaction then you can leverage that low yelp rating.

I just got my MYP full font Avery ppf for $890 (and $150 for rear fender ppf like Tesla's ppf) in the bay area. mostly ok like yours, some off the edges/corners have bubbles or loose. I'm having them redo the mirrors due to bad alignment...I guess you get what you pay for, but I'm ok with quality for the price.

your in CA so you are pretty much protected from bad jobs Via cost system

First just call the shop the ones with major defects like the dirt bubbles & peeling they should redo it no issue

For them not wrapping all the way around that's a lost cause unless you specified that.
If they refuse you can take them for court which is a very simple process and in most cases can get back your money or the money that it will cost to get it fixed elsewhere.

your in CA so you are pretty much protected from bad jobs Via cost system

First just call the shop the ones with major defects like the dirt bubbles & peeling they should redo it no issue

For them not wrapping all the way around that's a lost cause unless you specified that.
If they refuse you can take them for court which is a very simple process and in most cases can get back your money or the money that it will cost to get it fixed elsewhere.
interesting, like file a small claim? have you done that? I'd be upset if I had to pay $1800 full price, but I had some discounts so I didn't want to push it. mostly just some loose/bubble edges...they asked me to bring back tomorrow but I'm not sure how they'd fix a loose/bubble ppf edge after they are dried for 2 weeks? the partial mirror pff were ceramic coated, so i am a little concerned if they can strip the ceramic and redo the ppf there without destroying the red paint.

interesting, like file a small claim? have you done that? I'd be upset if I had to pay $1800 full price, but I had some discounts so I didn't want to push it. mostly just some loose/bubble edges...they asked me to bring back tomorrow but I'm not sure how they'd fix a loose/bubble ppf edge after they are dried for 2 weeks? the partial mirror pff were ceramic coated, so i am a little concerned if they can strip the ceramic and redo the ppf there without destroying the red paint.
removing PPF is easy for shops and should never damage paint. also meant Via court system, Yes you can take them to small claims for anything 10k and less but before you file any type of court case make sure to first give the business a chance to fix their mistake. If you try to sue someone without giving them a chance to rectify the issue you will most likely lose. you should have a very good reason for suing without contacting them etc.

Reactions: Xpert
You don’t always get what you pay for lol. Mine was very expensive. PPF, tinting and ceramic coating and they still did a terrible job.
However, in these cases, those shops should be called out in the forum here so other members don't get swindled! Even the original reporter here has not mentioned the shop's name (assuming he is unhappy w/ work) - not cool.