Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request -- USB audio from phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll need to put it on a USB key and plug into one of the front ports- plays fine that way, just not from phones.
Yeah - did that, only to see that the media interface orders the songs alphabetically and not by track number!! And a few other features which are missing (playlists, artist->albums, ...). I´m a programmer and as they say developing a half-way decent media interface is not rocket science. For a car so way out in front of the competition in terms of inovation, this seems really sloppy and could be "fixed" with not much effort. Still love the car - but this does annoy me.

• Helpful
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Their whole entertainment system is a bit disappointing. But at least they positioned the phone charger/holder in a smart place to make that easy to use. And Bluetooth isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Although it still kind of sucks to have to use your tiny little phone when there is a giant iPad right there on the dash.

• Helpful
Yeah - did that, only to see that the media interface orders the songs alphabetically and not by track number!! And a few other features which are missing (playlists, artist->albums, ...). I´m a programmer and as they say developing a half-way decent media interface is not rocket science. For a car so way out in front of the competition in terms of inovation, this seems really sloppy and could be "fixed" with not much effort. Still love the car - but this does annoy me.
The car does albums, artists and track number ordering for music on USB. Not sure why you thought it didn't. It doesn't do playlists, however.

New LR 2021 owner getting, blown away by FLAC tiles over USB but very disappointed with streaming and Bluetooth quality, definitely sounds mangled by multiple transcoding steps and low quality SBC codec. The inbuilt apps seem limited to low bitrate.

Audio over USB would fix all these issues. There is noticeable difference when using FLAC.

LDAC would be fantastic at least.

Using Samsung S20.

How would that be smarter? Most people under the age of 40 don't own any "audio files". Things like CDs and audio files are really a thing of the past at this point. My music has been entirely on Spotify for more than five years. The concept of using a USB drive to manage music is only one step above plugging in an 8-track IMO.

This limitation -- no audio over USB -- as well as the lack of integrated Spotify -- is a real disconnect between how people listen to music today and how the Model 3 operates. I suspect that whoever controls this area of the car's design is 40+ and a little out of touch. It's a small detail but it is so backwards that it diminishes the car overall. Ditto on the voice reco...it is several years behind the times.
You really think age has something to do with this? Remember, this is the same company that doesn't allow Android Auto or Apple Car Play on the Tesla infotainment display. This is the same company that doesn't include floor mats on some of their cars.
Let me clue you in on something. Just because Tesla does or doesn't do something that YOU think it should has zero to do with age, sex, race, etc... When you get older, and a little more wisdom, you'll come to realize this. And maybe the irony of my statement as well. ;)

I hardly listen to music in the car because it sounds so bad. And like most people I don't have an entire library of music on a USB stick.

I keep asking this over and over, why have they made it impossible to get hi-resolution music into the system? It is capable of playing it, why can't we input it?

When I'm done with this car I won't buy another Tesla unless this changes.

I hardly listen to music in the car because it sounds so bad. And like most people I don't have an entire library of music on a USB stick.

I keep asking this over and over, why have they made it impossible to get hi-resolution music into the system? It is capable of playing it, why can't we input it?

When I'm done with this car I won't buy another Tesla unless this changes.

You can input it. Via USB stick.

The VAST majority of americans still don't pay for HD music streaming services. In fact only about 25% of them pay for ANY streaming subscription at all.... (75.5 million out of a population of about 330 million as of 2020)

Most still own music, including near 2 billion spent last year on records, CDs, and digital ownership of music... and much of the minority who DO pay for streaming are fine with "regular" quality streaming as folks springing for "HD" audio remain a minority of a minority.

People who care a lot about quality AND don't own music remain a tiny niche audience.

I agree with you allowing physical input from a phone would be a nice-to-have... but Teslas cars are largely sold out 3-6 months in advance at this point, the lack of it clearly isn't hurting sales.

You can input it. Via USB stick.
It's comical how many defend that approach, or perhaps I should say it is comical how strongly some will defend it. The entire car is minimalist and clean. Suggesting a kluge approach like this does not make sense. Yes, it works, and if you are still living in the Napster era. So would bringing a Sony Discman and headphones into the car. Neither are a good solution.

We are asking for something very simple, that already exists in the hardware and can likely be turned on via a software switch. It would improve the sound quality for many users

• Funny
It's comical how many defend that approach, or perhaps I should say it is comical how strongly some will defend it. The entire car is minimalist and clean. Suggesting a kluge approach like this does not make sense. Yes, it works, and if you are still living in the Napster era. So would bringing a Sony Discman and headphones into the car. Neither are a good solution.

We are asking for something very simple, that already exists in the hardware and can likely be turned on via a software switch. It would improve the sound quality for many users
It's basically impossible with modern phones today given they no longer support USB mass storage mounting and use MTP (which sucks and is much slower). In older Android there was a "USB Audio" option in the dev mode, but that is also gone in most recent versions (plus few devices supported it anyways). IOS is a whole other thing with even less compatibility (can't even do simple copy and pasting of files via USB, only have very basic access to photos, needs iTunes to do anything more complex). So no, it's not a simple software switch, as things are fundamentally different from a USB stick.

Basically the rest of the industry has moved on to Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay for phone connections, giving up cross compatibility, and I doubt USB audio will ever come for Tesla.

Last edited:
I can plug my iPhone 11 into my 10-year-old Mazda CX-5 with base stereo and it gets USB audio. Not sure how "modern" you are talking about but my phone is only about a year old. The phone is not the issue.
I don't know about iPhones (I don't use them at all), but I know a long time ago, modern android phones (since around version 4.0) no longer supported USB mass storage and thus can't function as a USB source (no longer looks like a USB stick). I do have an old android phone from 2012 that does still function like USB mass storage and it looks just like a USB stick to a computer (not a MTP device). I haven't tried plugging it into my Tesla, but maybe I'll try when I have the chance. But it'll likely function just fine for USB audio, and if that's the case, it's definitely a phone problem. Edit: I just tried plugging into my computer, don't have my car nearby, and it seems I may have updated it and it only has MTP as an option now, so actually unable to test. My other older phones I have disposed of already, so I don't think I have a device anymore that supports USB mass storage.

I found an article the covers this change actually:
Car Tech's guide to using your Android phone in the car
USB is no longer an option (sort of...)
...With the jump to version 4.x Ice Cream Sandwich, along with the switch from microSD to internal file storage, Android devices also switched from USB mass storage to the media transfer protocol (MTP). (The change actually happened in Android 3.x Honeycomb, but most users didn't really notice it until the Samsung Galaxy Nexus debuted later in 2011 without a microSD card slot.) The intent was to make Android devices more accessory friendly and to simplify file and storage management when connected to a computer, but the result was that MTP took Android/car USB connectivity from inconsistent to flat out unsupported.

Your iPhone may be using some proprietary iPod mode that older infotainment systems supported (given the popularity of iPods back then), but given Tesla uses a Linux based system, the chances it supports that natively is almost zero.

Last edited:
It has noting to do with looking like a memory stick, you are confusing two different things. If it was then any needed decoding would be done on the car side rather than on the phone. Instead the actual analog audio is routed over USB.

Routing audio over USB has been around forever. It works with streaming, with MP3s on the phone and even with phone audio. It is simply routing audio over the USB connection.

It has noting to do with looking like a memory stick, you are confusing two different things. If it was then any needed decoding would be done on the car side rather than on the phone. Instead the actual analog audio is routed over USB.
Read the article I linked, I'm not confusing anything. Almost all infotainment systems supported USB Audio on Android simply by treating the phone as a USB stick (which worked perfectly fine before Android decided to switch to MTP). And the only infotainment system that offered MTP support was BMW and only in some obscure business version. But even if Tesla adds MTP support, I doubt it would work well, especially for higher quality audio (not just mp3s). MTP is a very slow protocol, takes forever just to load the file structure, and is much slower than even the USB 2.0 connection.
Routing audio over USB has been around forever. It works with streaming, with MP3s on the phone and even with phone audio. It is simply routing audio over the USB connection.
Yes, there is a USB Audio protocol, but close to no devices supported it (I think the only popular devices that supported it were Playstations). None of the infotainment systems and Android phones used it, otherwise it wouldn't have broken USB audio to infotainment systems when Android switched to MTP. Now the focus is all on supporting Android Auto (which is proprietary), so there is zero reason to go back to revive something that no one adopted.
"Accessory mode audio has not been widely adopted, and is not currently recommended for new designs."
USB Digital Audio | Android Open Source Project
They even completely removed that with Android 8.0.
"Caution: AOAv2 audio support has been deprecated in Android 8.0."
Android Open Accessory Protocol 2.0 | Android Open Source Project

So no, there is no simple non-proprietary way to support this for Tesla (MTP is the only viable one, but that doesn't work for iPhones as they don't expose their music folders via MTP). So I don't think we'll see support for USB Audio (for phones without USB mass storage) until Tesla adds Android Auto / Carplay.

Last edited:
I don't really care about Android TBH. As far as which vehicles have supported this in the past, read this very thread we are writing in. In addition to every car I have owned in the last decade, a crappy rental truck I tested included it. It is borderline ubiquitous. I'm OK with it not working with Android -- if it is this common among vehicles that have USB then Android should have included it years ago.

Also -- and this is my final post on this -- it has nothing to do with "folders" -- it is a pure audio pass-through from the device to the car. You are confusing two different technologies, although admittedly it seems your phone does not include one of them.

It's comical how many defend that approach, or perhaps I should say it is comical how strongly some will defend it.

I'm not sure one sentence of fact, basically right out of owners manual, is "comically strong defense" of something, but you do you my dude :)

As I pointed out, you're the one in the vast minority of music listeners here.

There's been that same tiny minority asking for what you're asking for since the Model S launched in 2012. Tesla has made numerous updates to available low-res in-car streaming, and also to high-quality-available local USB playback in the 9 years since. They've made no indications in all that time of ever planning to offer from-your-phone wired playback though.

Most people still either own their music, or aren't as concerned about quality as you, or both.

Last edited:
You're the one in the vast minority of music listeners here.

Most people still either own their music, or aren't as concerned about quality as you, or both.
[/QUOTE]

Then why bother with the sound system at all? It's a fantastic well designed sound system it just seems odd to limit it and no it isn't the minority otherwise there wouldn't have been a thriving home and car stereo business for decades.

And for sound to go to full HD is such a tiny increase in bandwidth it's just ridiculous to not support it.