Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we now know why they are EX-tesla employees?

There are many stories about the ex-Tesla employees working for other companies. Elon has hinted they were fired, which may be the case in some instances. In other cases they sold out for more money. Tesla pays less than most other Silicon Valley companies and a number of people have been enticed away with more money. I have read rumors that Tesla may fire people when they give notice so they can claim they fired them.

In any case someone here on the forum said Elon Musk only wants people who are fanatical about the cause and if they sell out to go make more money somewhere else, they are essentially dead to him. Even if he didn't fire them, they were fired in his mind. Or possibly his thinking is he would have fired them if he found out they could sell out before they left on their own.

All marketing hype to the point you don't trust them. Would have been better with a presentation rooted in reality with some teasers on a few wild concepts.

Too much money, going in all directions, no focus and no strategic plan on how to attack electric mobility. It is also not clear who is the leader to set direction. Any startup needs a focused plan especially one trying to do automotive. Automotive can and will absorb an enormous amount of money and resources. This is why there have been no new auto companies in 90 or so years. (except Tesla).

Makes you really appreciate Elon. He is an optimistic engineer and is very honest and humble. He does get in trouble on timelines but does not oversell like we saw from these guys.

I am not even sure what the purpose of the presentation was last night. It will probably hurt them in the long run as they engage automotive suppliers to build parts. They will have lost credibility that they will be successful to pay the bills. The auto suppliers invest a tremendous amount of $$ up front for the typical OEM's. With these guys, suppliers will likely not deal with them or everything will be pre-paid before they do anything.

I'm still absorbing this. It still seems like a money grab to me. Now, time for one-liners.

It's a subscription service because even they couldn't see someone buying their cars.

I didn't know a battery pack could be that wasted-energy dense.

I can't do this. Any lame joke is better than that monstrosity. I cannot process this. It is like they aren't even trying.

Their speaker seemed inexperienced. What they showed has less utility than a gravity kart racer, which has working brakes and steering. This is public relations junk, and nothing else. It has all the stench of the dotcom vaporware banditry of the early 21st Century: slick prototype, loads of hype, smoke and mirrors galore in the demo, and nothing that can ever be sold. If you look at the Tesla history, they are nations apart. Tesla focused on revenue as quickly as they could. The drivetrain for some Daimler vehicles, early contracts to build for Toyota, and so on. I think I will care about Faraday Future when their CEO states a direction that matters to me. Near as I can tell, what they showed last night was a prototype of a Pike's Peak racer or perhaps a LeMans racer. That means Faraday Future is going in the direction of providing design and technical services, and not a consumer product. They would be hired by other companies to make dashboards and integrated subsystems. So, in other words, a very, very flashy Bosch or OnStar for EVs. My bet is they will sell the helmet in six months.

In all fairness, they may have very well known that what they were showing wasn't a product. My assumption is that they just weren't ready but had some hard deadlines so did what they could with what they had. After all, they hired 700+ people. Had to make it look good.

Hopefully they actually have substance in the pipeline, but it was a very 'meh' start, full of empty promise.

That means Faraday Future is going in the direction of providing design and technical services, and not a consumer product. They would be hired by other companies to make dashboards and integrated subsystems. So, in other words, a very, very flashy Bosch or OnStar for EVs.

I don't know how you interpret this into the company. Why would they build a car factory for $1 billion in Nevada then?

Here's what they will (or at least plan to) do:

But again, the FFZERO1 isn’t a production car, and it has a very different exterior from the covered prototype we were shown at the headquarters. "The concept is an amped up version of this platform," says Faraday spokesperson Stacy Morris. "It’s going to have four motors. It’s a one-seater hypercar." She compares the design of the battery pack to the look of a Hershey bar: the concept uses adaptable strings of batteries, in which rows of batteries can be removed or added. The placement of the motor can also be shifted within the platform to make a vehicle that is front-wheel, rear-wheel, or all-wheel drive.

This is Faraday Future’s ridiculous 1,000-horsepower electric concept car | The Verge

After that first car they will produce more affordable vehicle models (sound familiar ?).

Do I know if they will succeed? No (History speaks against them in the car sector, as for any new entrant).

Do I know if they won't have a fallout with their Chinese backers and need to change strategy/find new investors? No (but that may be a problem due to geographic and cultural distances/differences, more so than with domestic backers).

Do I think there was too much hype and buzzword-speak in yesterday's presentation? Yes (but they are a new company, hopefully they will adjust their communication)

Do I think almost all the "meat" of the presentation was the short VPA video? Yes. Here's a link for those who missed this video: FFs Variable Platform Architecture - YouTube

All I know is that only a concept was shown and that the production car(s) will likely be late (again, sound familiar?).

I guess 2018-2020, likely 2019-2020, is much more realistic than "2017". At least they didn't repeat the 2017 date yesterday and the presentation started on time.

Last edited:
Watched the "unveiling" last night. What a disappointment.

It's like they gave a ton of money to a bunch of kids to play around with and this is what they came up with...

When you are a new company, a working prototype is everything. Not some bat mobile with a body kit tacked on that was designed by a 10 year old.

I bet Elon is not the least bit concerned. A shame though as I was expecting a serious and credible EV.

Watched the "unveiling" last night. What a disappointment.

It's like they gave a ton of money to a bunch of kids to play around with and this is what they came up with...

When you are a new company, a working prototype is everything. Not some bat mobile with a body kit tacked on that was designed by a 10 year old.

I bet Elon is not the least bit concerned. A shame though as I was expecting a serious and credible EV.

Bunch of kids? Did you look at some of the CVs?

Nick Sampson -- Product Architect, former Vehicle and Chassis Engineering for Tesla Model S
Richard Kim -- Head Design, former BMW i8 Concept, BMW i3 Concept
Silva Hiti -- Sr. Dir. of Powertrain, former lead powertrain at Chevy Volt
Pontus Fontaeus -- Interior Design, former Lamborghini, Ferrari, Land Rover
Page Beermann -- Exterior Design Chief, former Creative Director at BMW
Porter Harris -- Batteries, former SpaceX (just left FF again)

And why produce a working (driving) concept when they don't plan to release that car anyway? You are asking for too much imho after just 18 months, this is still the car sector (no matter how many times they repeat that they work/iterate "very fast".

Just to make sure, I'm not a "fan" of FF, see my critical post above.

My main objection is that FF probably should have waited until (early) 2017 or so to hold a first major press conference - this was nothing more than a first splash and probably good advertising to get the buzz going and get hires interested.

Bunch of kids? Did you look at some of the CVs?

And why produce a working (driving) concept when they don't plan to release that car anyway? You are asking for too much imho after just 18 months, this is still the car sector (no matter how many times they repeat that they work/iterate "very fast".

Just to make sure, I'm not a "fan" of FF, see my critical post above.

My main objection is that FF probably should have waited until (early) 2017 or so to hold a first major press conference - this was nothing more than a first splash and probably good advertising to get the buzz going and get hires interested.

I believe it was implied that the reveal looked as though a bunch of kids were given money to come up with something.

FF is constantly touting that they can get things done faster than other companies. It's quite relevant to point out that though they may have had a "reveal" sooner than others, they didn't actually produce anything. What's the point of revealing your ideas at CES...that's where you reveal products...or at least working prototypes.

I am devoted to the concept of maintaining steady pressure, on all fronts, on the global socio-politico-economic society the transition of personal transportation to EVs.

What I saw last night was a cringe-worthy setback toward that goal, in my opinion.

It's quite relevant to point out that though they may have had a "reveal" sooner than others, they didn't actually produce anything. What's the point of revealing your ideas at CES...that's where you reveal products...or at least working prototypes.

I agree - better to remain in stealth mode until they have something real - or at worst, simply show the 'VPA' skateboard, without the silly body. As it is, they are being slammed for showing something never intended to be built (IMHO)