Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just... Nope.

SteveJobsZero1.jpg

The problem isn't if there is room for another EV out there. There obviously is with the number of cars sold in the world each year. The problems is if the public will accept another new brand. Tesla really has made a name for itself. If BMW, Mercedes or anyone else ever creates a serious long range EV and supports it then it might be difficult for another new company to gain traction. Not impossible of course but they haven't shown much yet.

But they aren't. Tesla showed a fully working prototype of the MS 3 years before the first deliveries, FF hasn't shown any evidence they have even a prototype that can move a single inch under it's own power. I don't believe the 2-4 years bit for a second.

I want them to succeed, honestly I do, but I hold everyone to the same standard, show me you have something and I'll be interested, deliver on it and I'll believe you. So far they're nowhere near the first of those requirements.

tonight's presentation lowered my confidence in the company.

nonetheless, as I wrote earlier, I don't look at tonight and say, "no way they can make an EV better than 0.05% of ICE vehicles produced in 2020." my gut would be better than a 50% chance they put a car on the market by 2020, somewhere between 25-50% they succeed.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem isn't if there is room for another EV out there. There obviously is with the number of cars sold in the world each year. The problems is if the public will accept another new brand. Tesla really has made a name for itself. If BMW, Mercedes or anyone else ever creates a serious long range EV and supports it then it might be difficult for another new company to gain traction. Not impossible of course but they haven't shown much yet.

I would be extremely surprised if 2% of the global vehicle market, including Tesla, is long range EVs in 2020. assuming FF's lack of an established brand means they can't take sales from anyone else making long range EVs, FF would need to convince 0.05% of the remaining ICE market that their EV is more desirable to hit Tesla's sales volume from this year. they'd need to convince 0.02% of the remaining market to buy their vehicle over an ICE to hit Tesla's 2013 volume. they might fail, but I don't think it's a joke of a chance that they succeed.

I didn't watch the presentation, but reading the comments and the Jalopnik article I don't feel like I missed anything. Seems like the predictions were true leading up to the presentation.

When Tesla launched the Roadster they had a driveable prototype. The Roadster I saw at the SF auto show in 2006 (Tesla's first auto show and what got me interested in Tesla) was also driveable. Same with the Model S and Model X.

Seems like they have a lot of money to burn if they used such an event just to unveil an undriveable concept that will be nothing like what they plan to make.

Okay, so if we're optimistic, Faraday Future will produce their first car some time around 2017/2018. That puts their 150k USD (?) sports car up against the practical ~70k USD Ludicrous Model 3. And then shortly after this, Tesla will come with their maxiumum plaid next gen Roadster, at lets say 90k USD.

I don't see how Faraday Future has a viable business model. They need to make a different car.

Very weak... "We move fast - we've hired 750 (or something) employees in 18 months." How hard is that when you've got a Billionaire waving money around?

As far as Elon is away from Jobs as a presenter, these guys were awful on stage. Elon may not be smooth, but he clearly states his much clearer vision.

I hope they can do something interesting...but that just didn't inspire me very much. Anyone else?

Elon Musk is not a polished speaker, but it's obvious his depth of knowledge is very, very deep. He stumbles because he is trying to hold himself back from explaining everything in minute detail and he knows from experience that loses 99% of his audience. Because it's so obvious he does know what he's talking about, listeners can forgive his stumbling presentation style. In other words, he's authentic.

Very few people have the depth of knowledge Musk has and it becomes obvious if they try to fake it.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't engineers, this is the vehicle designer, engineers push for something that can actually drive...

Most car companies have legendary battles between the engineers and the designers. The two usually think very differently.

0nly One person. All that for one person. Nope. Might be a good race car for one person, but no "Tesla Killer". Nope. No passenger reaction video's on YouTube, which we know are priceless. I bought my MS85 having not even driven one because every passenger reacted the same way, astonished and Amazed! Blown away! After two years of it being my daily driver winter/summer, I'm still astonished, amazed and blown away! I see that front end of FF filled with about 200 pounds of snow trying to drive in a Montana winter. Good luck FF.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Very weak... "We move fast - we've hired 750 (or something) employees in 18 months." How hard is that when you've got a Billionaire waving money around?

As far as Elon is away from Jobs as a presenter, these guys were awful on stage. Elon may not be smooth, but he clearly states his much clearer vision.

I hope they can do something interesting...but that just didn't inspire me very much. Anyone else?
Hopefully they will build a great flexible factory. Tesla can pick it up for pennies on the dollar in a few years.

0nly One person. All that for one person. Nope. Might be a good race car for one person, but no "Tesla Killer". Nope. No passenger reaction video's on YouTube, which we know are priceless. I bought my MS85 having not even driven one because every passenger reacted the same way, astonished and Amazed! Blown away! After two years of it being my daily driver winter/summer, I'm still astonished, amazed and blown away! I see that front end of FF filled with about 200 pounds of snow trying to drive in a Montana winter. Good luck FF.
This car would obviously be a third/fourth/fifth car for the rich, only driven in summer on dry sunny days.

wow ... this is the great TESLA KILLER ?
I was waiting for their concept, and all they could come with is a computer render ... really ?
If I knew some 3d design and had some designing ability I could come up with a 3d render and say it has 1.000.000 HP, 50.000 miles range. Would I call myself a Car company ?
this is a joke !

I would have expected them to come with at least a working prototype or so... not a computer render.
If they think I should be impressed by this ... i'm not !

Tesla will have a Model 3 concept released on March and i'm 100% positive they won't come with a damn computer render and call it a car !

Go Tesla go, you have nothing to worry about this wanna be car dreaming company.

My summary of what they said in their CES event today:

"We are doing what Tesla have already done, just 5 years later... maybe more because of the extra time to do at least one impractical concept car"

Still... another well funded player in this space can only be good. Let's see what they actually deliver, although by their own admission that won't be until 2018.