Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending the Tesla Wall Connector [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the official Tesla Wall Connector. But I’m an idiot and didn’t measure the distance between my charger and parking space.

Unfortunately I can’t move the charger, so am I able to use a Type 2 to Type 2 extension cable to get the few extra feet I need? I do not know if the Wall Connector cable is compatible with these.

For example, this: Gruensauber-Electric-Compatible-Charging-Portable

I know in the US there is a Lectron brand cable that does the job. They don’t sell that in the UK though.

(I know that these are frowned upon by car companies etc etc.)

I bought the official Tesla Wall Connector. But I’m an idiot and didn’t measure the distance between my charger and parking space.

Unfortunately I can’t move the charger, so am I able to use a Type 2 to Type 2 extension cable to get the few extra feet I need? I do not know if the Wall Connector cable is compatible with these.

For example, this: Gruensauber-Electric-Compatible-Charging-Portable

I know in the US there is a Lectron brand cable that does the job. They don’t sell that in the UK though.

(I know that these are frowned upon by car companies etc etc.)
This is not an extension cable. It will connect the car to any charger with a socket but won't connect to the end of another cable.

I run a type 2 extender. I think it’s technically frowned upon and pretty sure some users will give you the run down. That said it has been faultless for two years. Worth to mention that I house the connection in a junction box.

Mine (Tesla brand) has a really long cable. There used to be a choice of cable length ... if there still is (sorry, I don't know if that's still the case) maybe you could swap yours for a longer one?

Unless you already have the longer one of course !

Got it from EVCables.

Looks like they have removed them and this is now their message!

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard is clear on the matter; “A cord extension set or second cable assembly shall not be used in addition to the cable assembly for the connection of the EV to EVSE.”. Therefore any EV extension cable will sit outside of the standards and may effect your vehicle warrantee in the event of a claim.